It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:50 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

anti-oxidants etc

Dear all,

This research should be of interest to all those interested in anti-oxidants and MS.

Bromley

http://www.msif.org/goexternal.rm?id=3022
Read more : anti-oxidants etc | Views : 1732 | Replies : 4

I'm scared...

It's September, my left leg is not responding the way it should.
I'm afraid of another attack. More prednisone, more solumedrol....
I don't want it... I have a good job, a great family, if only I could just stay the way I was 2 weeks ago. I don't want to loose all this...
There are stressors in my life but I am handling them. Feel more tired so I sleep more and make sure I ...
Read more : I'm scared... | Views : 2209 | Replies : 14

Molecular switch that activates myelin production identified

This should prove to be a pretty important discovery.

Scientists Discover the Molecular Switch for Nerve Cells’ Insulating Jelly Rolls

Aug. 31 - Scientists at New York University School of Medicine report in a new study that they have identified the molecular switch that turns on the production of myelin, the fatty insulation around nerve cells that ensures swift and efficient communication in the nervous system. The study, published in the September 1, 2005, issue ...
Read more : Molecular switch that activates myelin production identified | Views : 1026 | Replies : 1

Myelin Repair Foundation

Dear MRF Supporters,

We wanted to let you know that we currently have an opening for a Development Director as well as various volunteer positions at the Myelin Repair Foundation. As a staff member or volunteer, you will be part of a pioneering team of highly-motivated professionals working hard to develop treatments for individuals with multiple sclerosis in the shortest timeframe possible. Please visit: http://www.myelinrepair.org/volunteer.html for more details and ...
Read more : Myelin Repair Foundation | Views : 996 | Replies : 0

Drop FOot

A lot of us have a trippy toe or a drop foot. I tried and AFO but I can still walk , so a rigid brace that did not allow ankle flexion at all was uncomfortable and I felt would make me weaker.

I noticed the dorsi strap here has anyone tried it? http://x-strap.com/index.htm

Has anyone found another solution to the droppy foot problem they like?
Marie
Read more : Drop FOot | Views : 1317 | Replies : 1

LINE L1 elements in neuronal precursors

Here is the abstract for an article reporting on LINE L1 pseudogenes possibly moving around in neuronal precursors. I thought it was interesting. Don't know if I can set a link to the full article.

"Nature. 2005 Jun 16;435(7044):903-10.

Comment in:
Nature. 2005 Jun 16;435(7044):890-1.

Somatic mosaicism in neuronal precursor cells mediated by L1 retrotransposition.

Muotri AR, Chu VT, Marchetto MC, Deng W, Moran JV, Gage FH.

Laboratory of Genetics, The Salk Institute for Biological ...
Read more : LINE L1 elements in neuronal precursors | Views : 1047 | Replies : 0

any way to mitigate a relapse?

Aside from steroids, anything you've heard that can assist DURING a relapse? or anything that you should try to do? I think I read something about heavy dosing vitamin c or another supplement or going to an oxygen chamber or something.
Read more : any way to mitigate a relapse? | Views : 1095 | Replies : 0

They could be on to something

I don't know if I've connected the dots properly, but here it goes:

In 2001, UC Irvine researchers found that ShK, a sea anemone venom halted and reversed EAE.
http://www.ucihealth.com/News/Releases/ ... one_ms.htm

ShK appears to work by blocking a specific voltage-gated potassium channel, Kv1.3. ShK is the most potent known inhibitor of Kv1.3.

The problem is that ShK doesn't last long enough in blood to effectively treat MS. So ...
Read more : They could be on to something | Views : 5271 | Replies : 18

Emu Oil Research

Dr. Code(naturopth) is giving a lecture in Sept here and I'm planning on attending. I was wondering if anyone here is trying this????

Emu Oil Research

MS and Emu Oil
Fatty Acids and MS

Fatty Acids and MS - Friend or Foe?

Submitted by William Code, M.D., FRCPC

Fat and nutrition have been hot topics during the 1980's and 1990's. Dr. Swank's low fat diet has been recommended to slow the progression of multiple sclerosis. ...
Read more : Emu Oil Research | Views : 1677 | Replies : 2

GM atrophy and disability

Art posted an interesting study (http://www.neurology.org/cgi/content/abstract/65/2/280) on the Boston Cure site finding that Grey Matter (GM) atrophy (axonal death) is the biggest factor in MS disibility. This raises an interesting question:
if axonal death is responsible for most of the disability in MS, then how do we explain the appearent reversal of disability in patients whose progression has been halted (such as with drugs - tovaxin, campath, etc.; or ...
Read more : GM atrophy and disability | Views : 1422 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 216468 • Total topics 22115 • Total members 13908