It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:19 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Virus-induced autoimmunity

This abstract seems to do a really good job of summing up a reasonable explanation for virus-induced autoimmunity...

Multiple sclerosis and virus induced immune responses: Autoimmunity can be primed by molecular mimicry and augmented by bystander activation.

Autoimmunity. 2006 Feb;39(1):9-19.
McCoy L, Tsunoda I, Fujinami RS.
University of Utah School of Medicine, Department of Neurology, 30 North 1900 East, Room 3R330, Salt Lake City, UT, 84132 2305, USA.

Polymicrobial infections have been associated with plausible ...
Read more : Virus-induced autoimmunity | Views : 1046 | Replies : 1

Bits and pieces

Dear all,

Today the MS nurse came round to teach me to inject, I asked her lots of questions as she knew most of the MS consultants working at the Institute of Neurology in London and has been working with MS patients for years and years.

- I found the injection fine (using the auto-injector). I am now waiting for the flu symptoms.

- My area in London is where Aimspro (goats serum) was given ...
Read more : Bits and pieces | Views : 1735 | Replies : 12

I removed my post

I removed my post
Read more : I removed my post | Views : 1380 | Replies : 4

Regulated Gene Therapy for Multiple Sclerosis

Here's an article about a new gene therapy targeted for MS. It sounds very complicated but very interesting. Hopefully we'll see something like this come to fruition in the not too distance future.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/prweb/20060209/ ... eb344333_1

Dunmann.
Read more : Regulated Gene Therapy for Multiple Sclerosis | Views : 1363 | Replies : 3

bee venom therapy

For about two years, a ms-patient asked me to give her beestings.
I was surpriced, but knew (as a beekeeper) that beevenom was succesfull used for reumatic-artritis, a.s.o.

So, after a small study because of the risks, I started stinging her, with a MD as companion.
In the meantime I also started a homepage for beekeepers and ms-patients (in Dutch, among others things like diaries).

And........ I found rather interesting news about apitherapy (beesting therapy). ...
Read more : bee venom therapy | Views : 1030 | Replies : 0

Depression and Alzheimer's

The ABC evening news on Monday had a story concerning a possible link between clinical depression and Alzheimer's. The researchers propose a link between the two, theorizing that people who suffer from depression were more likely to develope Alzheimer's. It suggested that there is a connection between the substances(?) involved in depression and the formation of plaques in the brain. Since MS suffers also exhibit plaques could there be a similar connection ? I don't ...
Read more : Depression and Alzheimer's | Views : 993 | Replies : 1

Stem Cell/Placenta Implant

Not to sure what to think of this news item. Very very small study with some results.

http://www.transworldnews.com/NewsStory ... t=Politics

Dunmann.
Read more : Stem Cell/Placenta Implant | Views : 916 | Replies : 0

Effectiveness of interferons

At last someone recognises that the real test of the interferons should relate to disability progression not relapses:

Defining the response to interferon-beta in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis patients.

Rio J, Nos C, Tintore M, Tellez N, Galan I, Pelayo R, Comabella M, Montalban X.

Unitat de Neuroimmunologia Clinica, Hospital Universitari Vall d'Hebron, Barcelona, Spain.

OBJECTIVE: Many patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) are currently receiving treatment with interferon (IFN)-beta. Early identification of nonresponder patients is crucial ...
Read more : Effectiveness of interferons | Views : 1091 | Replies : 1

High-dose Methyprednisolone

Just for info

Effect of high-dose (Steroid) Methylprednisolone treatment on CCR5 expression on (blood cells) in (MS Exacerbation) 08 February 2006

This study concerning steroids & blood cells was conducted at the
Neuroimmunology Unit, Medical School, University of Tampere, Tampere, Finland.

(Summary):
Therapy of acute exacerbations of multiple sclerosis with high-dose intravenous methylprednisolone inhibits the potential transmigration of CCR5-expressing CD4(+) and CD8(+) blood cells into the central nervous system. This is consistent with the ...
Read more : High-dose Methyprednisolone | Views : 929 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 219659 • Total topics 22679 • Total members 14295

Contact us | Terms of Service