It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:42 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Alcohol and Chocolate are good for you :}

Heres a good short article on how not to believe all you read:

A wee dram cuts obesity risk? It's not that simple

Ben Goldacre
Saturday December 17, 2005
The Guardian

Christmas is a time for pedantic family disputes, and newspaper stories about how alcohol and chocolate are good for you. This week, the Daily Mail reported on a scientific study which reported an observation from survey data: that people who drink alcohol in moderation ...
Read more : Alcohol and Chocolate are good for you :} | Views : 952 | Replies : 0

Vitamin D

Vitamin D could play a role in keeping the lungs healthy, research suggests.
Patients with higher vitamin D levels in their blood had significantly better lung function, a University of Auckland team found in a study of 14,091 people.

The difference between the two was more marked than that between smokers and those who had quit, the study published in the journal Chest said.

Dietary supplements could boost lung function, the team suggested, but they ...
Read more : Vitamin D | Views : 940 | Replies : 0

Infectious cause

Dear all,

As many of you are aware (I've bored you to death), I'm a big believer
that MS is caused / or triggered by a virus (or other infectious agent). EVB is my prime suspect, mainly because I had Glandular Fever quite badly at 15 (the only teenage / adult illness I had). My first MS attack came out of the blue at 39.

The so called outbreaks of MS also point to an ...
Read more : Infectious cause | Views : 5460 | Replies : 33

Human Epigenome Project

Another international genetics effort brewing that has implications for MS research.

Forget mutations: geneticists are hunting for subtler changes to DNA.

December 16, 2005 - Nature - Geneticists are brewing plans for a collective effort, loosely patterned on the Human Genome Project, that would map subtle changes in DNA. Some say that these changes are just as important to our understanding of disease as straight mutations.

As many as half of the genetic alterations that ...
Read more : Human Epigenome Project | Views : 1071 | Replies : 1

"Coming out" at work

We're running a poll over at Accelerated Cure Project about people's experiences of coming out or not about your MS in the work environment. The comments section has prompted some interesting stories. If you're interested in weighing in or just seeing the results, you can check it out here:

http://msnews.acceleratedcure.org/pollBooth.pl?qid=13
Read more : "Coming out" at work | Views : 840 | Replies : 0

Hepatitis B vaccination and MS

Interesting hypothesis...

Multiple sclerosis and hepatitis B vaccination: Adding the credibility of molecular biology to an unusual level of clinical and epidemiological evidence.

Med Hypotheses. 2006;66(1):84-6. Epub 2005 Sep 19.
Comenge Y, Girard M.
23 rue du Commerce, 75015-Paris, France.

In spite of a huge number of reports of severe hazards after injection of hepatitis B vaccine (HBV), the issue is regularly raised that no mechanism is available for the development of central demyelinating disorders ...
Read more : Hepatitis B vaccination and MS | Views : 1381 | Replies : 5

Neuro-protection

If there was a Father Christmas (Santa Claus to Americans) I would ask for some neuro-protection.

A report has been published about neuro-protection. I haven't got the report but the following article provides a summary of the key points. Hopefully, some of the drugs being examined will come good.

Ian

http://c.moreover.com/click/here.pl?j438161024&w=464753
Read more : Neuro-protection | Views : 1365 | Replies : 8

Stem cells to make mice better models?

Interesting article in light of the EAE discussion that goes on around here regularly -- make the mice a little more human and maybe their disease will be more like ours...

Trace of Human Stem Cells Put in Unborn Mice Brains

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS - December 13, 2005 - Scientists announced on Monday that they had created mice with small amounts of human brain cells in an effort to make realistic models of neurological disorders ...
Read more : Stem cells to make mice better models? | Views : 869 | Replies : 0

a general MRI question

In what I will try to call "typical" MS, for which I know there is no typical... is it "typical" for MS MRI lesions to persist forever, or are they known to appear and disappear?

thanks
Read more : a general MRI question | Views : 1195 | Replies : 1

Immunosuppressive Drug Appears Effective In Reducing Lesions

Hi to All - The article was posted today - sounds like new possibility to reduce those brain lesions -- :D

Immunosuppressive Drug Appears Effective In Reducing New Brain Lesions In MS Patients
Category: Multiple Sclerosis News
Article Date: 13 Dec 2005

A medication that reduces relapse rates in patients with multiple sclerosis (MS) appears to be effective in reducing new brain inflammatory lesions and is ...
Read more : Immunosuppressive Drug Appears Effective In Reducing Lesions | Views : 1040 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 221717 • Total topics 23018 • Total members 14544

Contact us | Terms of Service