It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:22 pm

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Spinal cord injuries

This article isn't MS specific but there is some read across eg macrophages, scarring. Also Dr Fawcett is one of the leading lights in terms of brain repair.

Bromley

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4283474.stm
Read more : Spinal cord injuries | Views : 905 | Replies : 1

CSF ingredients?

Hi all.

I would like to ask some questions about the CSF. (cerebospinal fluid)

I was wondering what is the normal pH of CSF. I found some studies indicating that altering the CSF pH leads to death of neurons and CNS atrophy! It reminds me of something...

This makes me believe that :

1. Immune system attacks myelin, because it is "spoiled" by some factor that I am not aware of. (Relapse)
2. "Debris" of ...
Read more : CSF ingredients? | Views : 1893 | Replies : 6

Evacuating Rita with MS

We left Houston at 6:30 a.m. on Thursday and finally arrived in Boerne, TX (about 200 miles) at 2:00 a.m. Friday morning. We had our family (my husband, me, and 2 teenagers) as well as our two cats in the van and we were pulling our 21-ft trailer behind. It was so hot on Thursday and we were going soooo slow or not at all that we couldn't run the AC. My kids would run ...
Read more : Evacuating Rita with MS | Views : 1170 | Replies : 2

IL-6 and MS

This one's of particular interest to me since my MS first presented as TM.

Key Protein Linked to Transverse Myelitis and Multiple Sclerosis

September 23, 2005 - Newswise — Hopkins researchers have discovered a single molecule that is a cause of an autoimmune disease in the central nervous system, called transverse myelitis (TM), that is related to multiple sclerosis.

In a study published in the October issue of The Journal of Clinical Investigation, psychiatrist Adam ...
Read more : IL-6 and MS | Views : 2474 | Replies : 14

New non FDA approved drugs... Chlorella and Spirulina

Does anyone know anything about these two drugs? I have a friend who has MS and I want to recommend these pills because they sound great but I'm cautious because he is on medication for his MS already. I would greatly appreciate any feedback on this matter. Thank you for your time
Read more : New non FDA approved drugs... Chlorella and Spirulina | Views : 1300 | Replies : 1

Stem cells trials

Dear all,

There are numerous companies looking at using stem cells to combat diseases of the CNS. The attached article shows that some are near to actually starting trials on humans (doesn't specifically mention MS).

http://www.miami.com/mld/mercurynews/news/12692634.htm

Bromley

PS Apologies Arron. This should be posted in the stem cells section but there seem to be advances reported every week so I thought it was worthy of wider distribution.
Read more : Stem cells trials | Views : 1499 | Replies : 6

A new finding with implications for MS

I'm not sure what the implications for MS are exactly, but I'm happy that somebody has found a new factor to consider in MS (a subset at least)

Water channel protein implicated in relative of multiple sclerosis

21 Sep 2005 - Researchers have identified a molecular suspect in a disorder similar to multiple sclerosis (MS) that attacks the optic nerve and spinal cord, according to a report presented at the 130th annual meeting of the ...
Read more : A new finding with implications for MS | Views : 1532 | Replies : 5

Myelin Repair Foundation News

If it is possible to love an organization, I love the Myelin Repair Foundation...

Myelin Repair Foundation Receives $1.2 Million Grant From Robert Wood Johnson Foundation to Further Accelerated Scientific Research Model

BUSINESS WIRE - Sept. 21, 2005 - The Myelin Repair Foundation (MRF) announced today that it has been awarded a three-year, $1.2 million grant from the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) to further develop an innovative research model that may be able to ...
Read more : Myelin Repair Foundation News | Views : 1381 | Replies : 3

MS Diagnostic tools

Dear all,

Not sure how this helps us but another day another piece of MS research (with the usual promise of better treatments). I'm starting to get the impression that there are more MS researchers than MS sufferers!

Bromley

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 092005.php
Read more : MS Diagnostic tools | Views : 1066 | Replies : 1

If your in England or Wales and you haven't done so already you might think about signing up to the Expert Patients Programme:
The Expert Patients Programme (EPP) is a NHS-based training programme that provides opportunities to people who live with long-term chronic conditions to develop new skills to manage their condition better on a day-to-day basis. Set up in April 2002, it is based on research from the US and UK over the last two ...
Read more : Sign up to this (England and Wales only) | Views : 995 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 219620 • Total topics 22672 • Total members 14285

Contact us | Terms of Service