It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:16 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Axons and imaging

I suppose if axonal degeneration is becoming a more important area of focus with MS research, it will be important to have the ability to monitor axonal preservation in clinical trials...

Optical coherence tomography: measuring in-vivo axonal survival and neuroprotection in multiple sclerosis and optic neuritis.

Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2005 Dec;16(6):346-50.

Sergott RC.
Department of Ophthalmology, Neurology, and Neurosurgery, Thomas Jefferson University, Wills Eye Hospital, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.

PURPOSE OF REVIEW: This review considers the ...
Read more : Axons and imaging | Views : 1224 | Replies : 1

EBV and HHV6B in MS patients

Interesting study that again shows a connection between HHV6/EBV and MS. Probably requires further study though, it always does...

Presence of Epstein-Barr virus and human herpesvirus 6B DNA in multiple sclerosis patients: associations with disease activity.

Acta Neurol Scand. 2005 Dec;112(6):395-402.

Hollsberg P, Kusk M, Bech E, Hansen HJ, Jakobsen J, Haahr S.
Institute of Medical Microbiology and Immunology, University of Aarhus, Aarhus, Denmark.

Objective - To assess the presence of Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) and ...
Read more : EBV and HHV6B in MS patients | Views : 2250 | Replies : 13

MRIs - waste of time?

I came across the attached which really shows how little the so called experts know about this disease. It also puts a questionmark over the use of MRIs in drugs trials. What are they really measuring - they are just a snapshot of the poor old brain etc trying its hardest to fight back against this disease.

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS ... sage/21350
Read more : MRIs - waste of time? | Views : 1122 | Replies : 0

overwhelming

just wanted to send this question out to u guys and hopefully i wont be crazy...but this morning i woke up and seemed like i felt mentallly fine..have held up fairly well for still not knowing what is going on and all..but i all of a sudden got the feeling when i got to work and started working a hoorrible feeling of panic and sadness...panic of what will i do with the boys and stuff ...
Read more : overwhelming | Views : 2077 | Replies : 8

Moving the treatment goalposts

Here is a link to neurologists who met in Australia. It contains lots of video clips which I can't be bothered to watch at the moment. Would be grateful if someone could tell me what the upshot was?

Bromley

http://www.msaustralia.org.au/publications/video.html
Read more : Moving the treatment goalposts | Views : 2572 | Replies : 13

Cannabis

Read more : Cannabis | Views : 919 | Replies : 0

Watching the immune system at work

This looks very promising...

PET Imaging Reveals the Immune System at Work

For clinicians, the ability to look routinely inside the body and see — at the level of the cell — how it confronts disease is a distant dream.

But in a series of experiments with genetically engineered mice, a team of researchers from the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) at the University of California Los Angeles has taken a key step toward realizing ...
Read more : Watching the immune system at work | Views : 860 | Replies : 0

Copaxone and neuro protection

The four CRAB drugs reduce, on average, relapses by 30%.

However, it is now recognised that damage to axons is the real problem leading to permanent disability. In addition to treatments that reduce relapses, neuro-protective agents are required to protect axons.

This research suggests that Copaxone also has a neuro-protective effect. Some time ago I posted a video featuring Dr Gavin Giovannoni of the Institute of Neurology in London. He ran through the CRAB drugs ...
Read more : Copaxone and neuro protection | Views : 1177 | Replies : 3

viruses

These two research papers illustrate everything that is wrong with MS research. They examine different viruses but I can't understand why they did it or what they found. EBV seems to crop up again and again as a possible cause / trigger for MS. But these researchers never arrive at any clear conclusions - words such as 'suggest' etc etc - which then allows another researcher to have another look at a later date and ...
Read more : viruses | Views : 916 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 221025 • Total topics 22918 • Total members 14474

Contact us | Terms of Service