It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:32 am

News News of General Discussion

Site map of General Discussion » Forum : General Discussion

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

brain and spinal atrophy

Hi,

When a nerve is demyelinated enough, the axon gets cut. Is this right? Is this what brain atrophy is, or is that something else? Is it possible for the axons to get cut without having brain atrophy?
Read more : brain and spinal atrophy | Views : 1322 | Replies : 0

Olympus Study for PPMS

Hi - I have been diagnosed with PPMS since 9/01 and I am partcipating in the Olympus Study: http://www.msstudy.net It is for PPMS. It is a double blind study measuring the safety and efficacy of rituximab compared with placebo in adult subjects with primary progressive multiple sclerosis (PPMS).

I have had 2 doses so far since 9/2004. The study will last 2.5 years. So far, I feel fine. I ...
Read more : Olympus Study for PPMS | Views : 1390 | Replies : 1

Holiday wishes...

Hi everyone,

I would like to wish everyone here at ThisIsMS a very Happy and HEALTHY Holiday Season and a New Year full of Prosperity, Laughter and Good Health. (And this is a longshot but, a cure would be nice too!) :P

Sincerely,
Read more : Holiday wishes... | Views : 1253 | Replies : 3

New drug costs and Insurance Lifetime Medical Caps???

With all this talk of Tysbrai and its high costs ( our nuero said about $26.000 a year) is anyone else worried about insurance and lifetime medical caps???
Read more : New drug costs and Insurance Lifetime Medical Caps??? | Views : 1608 | Replies : 3

MS Drug Approval?

I wish someone could explain to me why it is that the medical industry is so engrossed with treating ailments instead of doing things to make a patient healthier. The current approach that healthcare provides, when it’s at its very best, relies on fractured logic. Maybe it’s because desperate patients are willing to try anything that’s easy to rid themselves of disease. This leads to the other confusing logic I’ve encountered in the MS community. ...
Read more : MS Drug Approval? | Views : 1628 | Replies : 5

New Study Tysabri to Rebif

21 December 2004

Biogen Idec and Elan Announce Head-to-Head Study Comparing Safety and Efficacy of TYSABRI® to Rebif®
Zug, Switzerland – December 21, 2004 – Biogen Idec and Elan announced today that they are initiating a head-to-head study comparing the safety and efficacy of TYSABRI® (natalizumab) to Rebif® (Interferon beta-1a)*. STARS (Study of TYSABRI Against Rebif in relapsing multiple Sclerosis), is a randomized, assessor-blinded, parallel group study that will enroll more than 1,000 multiple sclerosis ...
Read more : New Study Tysabri to Rebif | Views : 3423 | Replies : 12

Getting a cold....

I was just diagnosed with MS this past February and have only had one attack (Optic Neuritis) which led to my diagnosis. I take Avonex and LDN. I am starting to come down with a cold and was wondering if I have to worry that every time I get a cold, I'm going to have a relapse? Does anyone know? (Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question)
Read more : Getting a cold.... | Views : 1732 | Replies : 3

employment advice

Hi,

Im 16 years old and I have RR MS. I just wanted to know, does anyone know of some career paths I could follow which would enable me to work from home. Just general careers and specific occupations too.

If you're not too sure, can you suggest some jobs that MIGHT be suitable for someone with mobility issues.

Thanks.
Read more : employment advice | Views : 1796 | Replies : 6

link to science article

Some may find this article on research re: regulatory/suppressor T cells interesting. Here's a teaser: "Traditionally, immunotherapy is designed to block effector cells or their activities. Now there is the entirely new possibility that we could treat the disease by expanding suppressors," says Ralph Steinman, an immunologist at Rockefeller University in New York City. " The quote actually refers to diabetes research, but might have implications for MS.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/306/5696/596
Read more : link to science article | Views : 1495 | Replies : 3

Concern with the FDA

Here is a rather long article (no link available for posting, sorry) about some ongoing problems within the FDA. Of course there are always two sides to every story but this is but another reason why I have never been all that comfortable with this organization.

Harry

F.D.A. Failing in Drug Safety, Official Asserts

By GARDINER HARRIS
New York Times
WASHINGTON, Nov. 18 - Federal drug regulators are "virtually incapable
of protecting America" from ...
Read more : Concern with the FDA | Views : 1307 | Replies : 1

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 220269 • Total topics 22792 • Total members 14386

Contact us | Terms of Service