It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:59 am

News News of Natural Approach

Site map of Natural Approach » Forum : Natural Approach

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, bee stings, etc. here

Vitamin E

Interesting variation on vitamin E that might be useful to inhibit neurodegeneration.

Tocotrienols: Vitamin E beyond tocopherols.

Life Sci. 2006 Mar 27;78 ( 18 ) :2088-98. Epub 2006 Feb 3.
Sen CK, Khanna S, Roy S.
Department of Surgery, Davis Heart and Lung Research Institute, The Ohio State University Medical Center, Columbus, Ohio 43210, USA. chandan.sen@osumc.edu

In nature, eight substances have been found to have vitamin E activity: alpha-, beta-, ...
Read more : Vitamin E | Views : 1303 | Replies : 4

Curcumin + Piperine

Several posts have discussed using a curcumin supplement with piperine (an extract of black pepper sold under the name Bioperine) in order to enhance the bioavailability of curcumin. Piperine inhibits several enzymes in CYP family, many of these are also utilized during drug metabolism. Thus, inhibiting these CYP family enzymes with piperine could lead to an inadvertant overdose of a prescription medication if one is taking it concurrently with a curcumin + piperine combination. Here's ...
Read more : Curcumin + Piperine | Views : 3505 | Replies : 3

Curcumin really helps my spasticity!

First I should tell you that the spasticity in my legs is very disabling, and throughout the day but especially at night after dinner I often experience uncomfortable, almost painful muscle spasms/tremors.

I have been reading a lot about curcumin and MS (curcumin is present in the spice turmeric, usually used in Indian food). I ordered some, and yesterday my order of curcumin came in the mail, and I took my first tablet with dinner ...
Read more : Curcumin really helps my spasticity! | Views : 2549 | Replies : 3

Neuroprotective effects of Curcumin

Here's a link to an interesting article regarding the neuroprotective effects of curcumin. Although this paper discusses the use of curcumin as a possible treatment for ischemic injury, the results likely cross over to MS. It would be interesting to discover if research has been done on a potential neuroprotective role of curcumin specifically in MS.

Neuroprotective mechanisms of curcumin against cerebral ischemia-induced neuronal apoptosis and behavioral deficits.
J Neurosci Res. 2005 Oct 1;82(1):138-48.
Increased ...
Read more : Neuroprotective effects of Curcumin | Views : 4472 | Replies : 29

Tumeric Root Extract

I read in here about the effects of Tumeric/Curcumioids.
The brand a friend of my picked up for me is

Bluebonnet Tumeric Root Extract with 95% Curcuminoids 1500mg total.

Has anyone heard of this or tried it? Im willing to try it but wanted to get some more opinions on it and find out of this is the correct type.

Thank you so much for your help.... :wink: ...
Read more : Tumeric Root Extract | Views : 1021 | Replies : 3

Curcumin enhances the activity of Ifn-B

I had previously posted this research in the Avonex forum but I thought that it might also be a good idea to post it here as it might be more visible to other members of the ThisIsMS community. This paper came out last Fall and looked at the effects of curcumin combined with Ifn-B. Curcumin is an antioxidant extracted from the spice turmeric. This paper's results indicate that curcumin may enhance the beneficial effects of ...
Read more : Curcumin enhances the activity of Ifn-B | Views : 1324 | Replies : 5

Omega-3 Fish Oil Study

I don't know if this has been posted before. The Oregon Health & Science University is currently recruiting patients for a study looking at the effects of omega-3 fish oil on MS and MS associated depression.
Fish oil as an adjunct therapy for depression in multiple sclerosis and Parkinson’s disease: A Randomized, Placebo-controlled Pilot Study.
IRB# 179, Principal Investigator: Lynne Shinto, ND

The MS Center of Oregon at Oregon Health & Science University is looking ...
Read more : Omega-3 Fish Oil Study | Views : 1036 | Replies : 0

Vitamin D benefits: hope or hype?

Vitamin D is good for what ails you. Or at least that's what patients and doctors might conclude if they read only the headlines.

In the past few months, deficiency in the substance has been linked to chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, tuberculosis, spinal inflammatory diseases, age-related macular degeneration ... and the list goes on.

On the other hand, taking high doses of vitamin D didn't help patients with multiple sclerosis, MedPage Today reported, and ...
Read more : Vitamin D benefits: hope or hype? | Views : 1383 | Replies : 0

BCM-95 Curcumin

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with BCM-95? It's a relatively new form of curcumin supplement. It's composed of micronized curcuminoid particles combined with the phospholipid phosphatidylcholine and turmeric essential oil (most likely turmerones). BCM-95 is supposed to be about 6 times more absorbable than curcumin with piperine in going from the GI tract to the bloodstream and about 10 times more absorbable than regular standardized 95% turmeric extract. So far, I'm only ...
Read more : BCM-95 Curcumin | Views : 23243 | Replies : 19

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 241285 • Total topics 26401 • Total members 17575

Contact us | Terms of Service