It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 am

News News of Natural Approach

Site map of Natural Approach » Forum : Natural Approach

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, bee stings, etc. here

Article on CAM

Here's an interesting article on complimentary alternative medicine (CAM) which discusses how more mainstream doctors are beginning to appreciate the potential benefits of CAM therapy.

Doctors going alternative
More mainstream physicians suggesting meditation, massage and acupuncture

By Julie Deardorff | Tribune reporter
1:59 AM CST, January 14, 2009

For years, Dr. Ali Keshavarzian ignored "alternative" therapies because his Western-trained brain wanted more evidence that they actually worked.

But Keshavarzian also knew conventional medicine often needed ...
Read more : Article on CAM | Views : 986 | Replies : 1

Vitamin K prevents calcification

It occurs to me that, given osteoporosis and multiple sclerosis are associated, the venous stenoses may be caused by calcification. Vitamin K is said to reduce this and I certainly now plan on adding this to my regimen. This would also tie-in quite nicely with the vitamin d deficiency theme.

1: J Vasc Res. 2008;45(5):427-36. Epub 2008 Apr 10. Links
The circulating inactive form of matrix Gla Protein (ucMGP) as a biomarker for cardiovascular calcification.Cranenburg ...
Read more : Vitamin K prevents calcification | Views : 5501 | Replies : 22

superoxide dismutase

Once again I believe I have had a bad experience from superoxide dismutase (glisodin). After the most exciting and revolutionary postings on the venous obstructions by Dignan et al I hastily decided to resume superoxide dismutase, despite its consumption being strongly associated with a relapse in February 2008. My thinking was that I had venous sclerosis and superoxide dismutase is good for atherosclerosis so...
Anyway once again this pill seems to have triggered a mini-relapse. ...
Read more : superoxide dismutase | Views : 1974 | Replies : 3

Bee Sting Therapy - anyone else do it?

Hello, I'm brand new on this forum, in fact brand new to forums. This is my first post.

I have secondary progressive MS having been diagnosed 15 years ago and am now, to all intents, paraplegic using an electic wheelchair for my mobility. (This is being typed by a carer.)

In August I started bee sting therapy which I had discovered as a result of my husband starting bee keeping - we read it on ...
Read more : Bee Sting Therapy - anyone else do it? | Views : 1350 | Replies : 1

NAC and Copaxone

There was a small clinical study done a few years ago (I think in Canada) looking at the combination of Copaxone and NAC. I've seen it mentioned in earlier posts. Though the study was completed, I haven't been able to find any paper written up about it. Does anyone know the results of this study?

Thanks.

Mike
Read more : NAC and Copaxone | Views : 1251 | Replies : 2

Glutamate

Is anyone familiar with glutamate as it relates to MS? I've come across some articles that suggest people with MS have elevated glutamate levels, and this may somehow be involved in the disease. So does this mean supplementing with something that contains L-Glutamic Acid may not be a good idea?
Read more : Glutamate | Views : 1062 | Replies : 0

endothelin 1 - natural inhibitors

Here's some more reasons to have quercetin and green tea:

1: Am J Clin Nutr. 2008 Oct;88(4):1018-25. Links
Pure dietary flavonoids quercetin and (-)-epicatechin augment nitric oxide products and reduce endothelin-1 acutely in healthy men.Loke WM, Hodgson JM, Proudfoot JM, McKinley AJ, Puddey IB, Croft KD.
School of Medicine and Pharmacology and the School of Biomedical, Biomolecular and Chemical Sciences, University of Western Australia, Perth, Western Australia.

BACKGROUND: Dietary flavonoids may improve endothelial function and ...
Read more : endothelin 1 - natural inhibitors | Views : 1855 | Replies : 3

Food Allergies

I have just been diagnosed with an allergy to eggs, seriously eggs!? I eat a lot of eggs. Studying this I have learned of the immune response related to it and as I was reading that info it sounded like I was reading MS 101. Maybe it's time for a food allergy poll. By the way, I have also discovered there is egg in certain vaccines and I have always been suspicious of a battery ...
Read more : Food Allergies | Views : 1429 | Replies : 3

Lovaza

This is interesting... prescription fish oil: http://www.lovaza.com/

What's more interesting is that they list trans fat as an inert ingredient.
Lovaza Prescribing Information wrote:LOVAZA capsules also contain the following inactive ingredients: 4 mg α -tocopherol (in a carrier of partially hydrogenated vegetable oils including soybean oil), and gelatin, glycerol, and purified water (components of the capsule shell).

What were they thinking?

NHE
Read more : Lovaza | Views : 4141 | Replies : 10

Bee Venom and Avonex

Does anyone out there have experience with bee venom therapy while still taking Avonex? I've been researching this online and I've talked to a couple of people who use bee venom, but none with MS. Here's what I saw online:

Q: Can I do BVT in conjunction with taking conventional medications for MS?
A: Any medication will most likely slow the benefits seen using BVT. However, if you are taking a medication that cannot be ...
Read more : Bee Venom and Avonex | Views : 1212 | Replies : 0

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 221720 • Total topics 23019 • Total members 14546

Contact us | Terms of Service