Protein Power

Discuss your favorite books here

Protein Power

Postby lyndacarol » Sat May 19, 2007 1:48 pm

The book, Protein Power by Michael Eades, M.D. and Mary Dan Eades, M.D., may be considered a "diet" book but, having re-read it now for the third time, I find it filled with much good general information--especially about hyperinsulinemia (my favorite subject, as you all know)!

I recommend it to you readers out there.
User avatar
lyndacarol
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2089
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:00 pm

Advertisement

Cholesterol,info from Protein Power

Postby lyndacarol » Mon May 28, 2007 1:52 pm

As have many MSers, I have tried a statin (Lipitor) because "rumors" (and even real studies) indicated that statins might improve MS. My physician stated that we don't want the cholesterol level to go too low. With the following info, I caution you (if taking a statin) not to let cholesterol go too low--it is necessary for many bodily functions.

From Protein Power by Dr. Michael Eades and Dr. Mary Eades (pages 362-363):

"The concensus on cholesterol seems to be the lower, the better, but as we shall see, this is not always the case. Far from being a health destroyer, cholesterol is absolutely essential for life.....Although most people think of it as being a "fat in the blood," only 7% of the body's cholesterol is found there. In fact, cholesterol isn't really a fat at all; it's a pearly-colored, waxy, solid alcohol that is soapy to the touch. The bulk of the cholesterol in your body, the other 93%, is located in every cell of the body where its unique waxy, soapy consistency provides the cell membranes with their structural integrity and regulates the flow of nutrients into and waste products out of the cells......Cholesterol is the building block from which your body makes several important hormones.....Cholesterol is the main component of bile acids, which aid in the digestion of foods.....Cholesterol is necessary for normal growth and development of the brain and the nervous system. Cholesterol coats the nerves and makes the transmission of nerve impulses possible.....Cholesterol is a precursor of vitamin D in the skin.....Cholesterol is important for normal growth and repair of tissues."


By the way, I saw no change with Lipitor and no longer take any statin.
User avatar
lyndacarol
Family Elder
 
Posts: 2089
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:00 pm


Return to Reading Nook

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users