Depression?

A board to discuss the Multiple Sclerosis modifying drug Rebif
yooper

Depression?

Post by yooper »

I took my first dose of Rebif last night. Now tonight I feel a heavy depression coming on? Could I be having a reaction this soon? Anyone else have depression as a side affect?
UGH! I'm so sick of medications! Wish they would find a cure FAST!
Self-pity is our worst enemy and if we yield to it, we can never do anything wise in this world.
Helen Keller
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

I cant remember how long it took, but i defiinitely had a mood change. I found myself having road rage (in my car with the windows rolled up), and then asking myself where did that come from.

The bad mood faded fairly quickly when I stopped rebif.
Gilenya, 80mg Lipitor, Inosine, Minocycline, Suppliments galore.
3 CCSVI treatments, no major noteable benefits thus far.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Depression?

Post by NHE »

Though I'm not taking Rebif, I have been on Avonex for almost 7 years. I've never had any serious depression reactions. Though I have felt like it sucked all of my energy out of my body and then some causing me to sleep for 12-16 hours. Did you experience any flu type side effects, e.g., chills or fever?

NHE
oreo
Family Elder

Post by oreo »

Yooper,

If it was your very first dose then I am going to hazzard a guess that you have only recently been diagnosed.

If you are feeling depressed it could be a reaction to the diagnosis as much as it could be anything else. Was your first dose titrated (1/2 of the half strength dose)?

We all have to deal with being in a funk now and then, those of us with MS more than most. Full scale depression is another matter. Statistics tell us that about 50% of all MS patients will have to deal with depression at some point in their lives.

If you find yourself depressed for more than a few days, get yourself to a doctor. There is no need or reason to live with depression.
Carpe Diem