Better Brain Regimen

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
ljm
Family Elder

Better Brain Regimen

Post by ljm »

A few posts here have mentioned the regimen for MS in The Better Brain Book by Perlmutter.

I recently bought the book. I think its a useful reference. In addition to a discussion of key risks/impacts on brain function and how to minimize, it had a good “glossary” explaining the purpose of several key supplements.

The book has sections on specific brain disorders, including MS (others are stroke, vascular dementia, alzheimers, parkinsons, and ALS).

The MS section provides an outline of the protocol used by the Perlmutter Center. It references possible involvement of Chlamydia penuemonia in MS: apparently at the center it is routine for patients to be given a short course of doxycycline (100 mg x 21 days) together with a probiotic.

Candida albicans, a kind of yeast infection is also mentioned, and the Center's patients may receive something called a "comprehensive digestive stool analysis" (CDSA) to determine if they are missing any good gut bacteria so that can be remedied.

The Center also advocates hyperbaric oxygen therapy and tests for antigliadin antibodies (sensitivity to glutein). A foundation of their protocol is the Swank Diet, which is low-fat, largely vegetarian.

Supplements are also big part of protocol. The recommended supplements include the things I've seen mentioned on this board before, plus some stuff that was new to me. The list includes the following:

GLA (from borage oil) 300 mg in AM
DHA 300 mg in AM (new to me)
CoQ10 100 mg in AM and PM
VitE 400 IU
VitC 500 mg AM and PM
Alpha Lipoic Acid 200 mg AM
NAC 400 mg AM and PM
Phosphatidylserine 100 mg in AM and PM (new to me)
Acetyl L Carnitine 400 mg AM and PM
Ginkgo biloba 60 mg AM
Vit D 400 IU AM

VitB complex AM: this should include
-B1 (thiamine) 50 mg
-B3 (niacin as niacinamide) 50 mg
-B6 (pryridoxine) 50 mg
-Folic acid 400 mcg
-B12 (cobalamin) 500 mcg

Plus in addition to the VitB complex add on
- Folic acid 400 mcg PM
- B12 (cobalamin) 500 mcg PM

Note for Canadians: Regulation of Acetyl L Carnitine is in flux here, apparently. It is currently available without prescription, but that may change again, and as a result lots of health stores and pharmacies aren’t providing OTC. I found some through a compounding pharmacy but its expensive.
Daunted
Family Elder

Re: Better Brain Regimen

Post by Daunted »

Regarding Perlmutter, see this article he authored on CPn and MS, which I think Sarah posted somewhere around here about a year ago.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _111271881
On Vanderbilt Antibiotic Protocol since January