The Compound Vitamin

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
Nenu
Family Elder

The Compound Vitamin

Post by Nenu »

Here's the MS mix my nutritionist hooked me up with:

Thiamine HCI 300mg
Riboflavin HCI 100mg
Folic Acid 1000mcg
Vitamin C (Corn) 2000mg
Vitamin D3 1000 IU
Magnesium (Glycinate) 20% 360 mg
Zinc (Aspartate) Zn=20% 25mg
Copper (Histidinate) Cu=10% 4 mg
Manganese (Sulfate) Mn=32% 3 mg
Potassium Iodide I=0.7645 100mcg
Selenium (Methionate) Se=0.5% 400mcg
Citrus Bioflavonoids 100mg

I also take 1 tsp Omega 3, 1000mcg Methyl Vitamin B12 with Folic Acid (sublingual), 400 IU Vitamin E daily.
katie45
Family Elder

Post by katie45 »

Nenu, can you tell me if this mix is injectable and by prescription? thanks kathy
Nenu
Family Elder

Post by Nenu »

katie45 wrote:Nenu, can you tell me if this mix is injectable and by prescription? thanks kathy
Mine is not 'by prescription' to my knowledge, and it is in capsule form. It was $150 CAD for 90 days worth (3 months). It was made specifically through an apocathary here in my city. In any event, it's a lot cheaper than purchasing each part separately.

If you have an apocathary in your area, perhaps you'd benefit from calling and asking about something similar to this.. in injectable form if that's what you are looking for. :)

Edit: I should mention that to my knowledge not a prescription, because I have not attempted reimbursement through my drug plan as of yet.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

For the above doses, how many capsules do you have to swallow?
Nenu
Family Elder

Post by Nenu »

Those are daily amounts, and I take 6 capsules daily, so each is 1/6 the listed amount.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hey nenu, just a little heads-up - if you ever develop "phantom itch", have the doc test your folic levels. it's the most annoying unscratchable itch ever. i had it in my arms mostly. i asked for a test and it came back 2170 i believe - way high. i had bought this new b-complex that had more b9 than the previous one so it made me suspicious. it was a 1000mcg b9 mix which is why i bring it up here, fyi :)
Nenu
Family Elder

Post by Nenu »

Don't know how I missed this one before, but thanks for the head's up. Haven't experienced anything like that yet :)
Dx RRMS March 5, 2008.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

just heard from my co-worker another anecdote about insane prenatal itching.

back story: when i itched, i did not blame it on ms - i blamed my new b-complex with 1000mcg b9, had my blood tested, and my b9 so crazy high (2170 but i don't have the units grr), and when stopping taking it stopped the itching, this all twigged me to the memory of my mother suffering terrible itching during both pregnancies, and only during pregnancy. i asked her if she took prenatal vitamins and she said yes. of course, prenatal supplementation involves b9 due to fears of defects. perhaps too much b9 for some?

and back to the present: the sufferer i've just heard about mentioned the itching to the doc but they never figured out what the problem was. this woman is just starting a second pregnancy. maybe this time they can drop the b9 for her a bit and save her some grief without doing the baby harm. i understand a mother-to-be needs to get about 600mcg b9 per day or thereabouts. so if they have her on 1000mcg there should be some wiggle room. fingers crossed!

what does this have to do with ms? not much i guess, just if you get a weird symptom don't automatically blame it on the crappy ms nervous system... you might be able to fix :)