Anyone taking 4-aminopyridine?

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.

Anyone taking 4-aminopyridine?

Postby Lainie » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:38 pm

I just started this drug to help with mobility. It's not on the market yet, so I have to get it through a compounding pharmacy. Anyone else on it?
Lainie
Family Member

Advertisement

Postby AlmostClever » Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Lainie,

I started 2 days ago (1 capsule twice daily).

I asked the Nuero for Fampridine, which I'm guessing is not on the market yet but as I understand it is basically the same thing.

I did 4-AP once before but stopped after 2 weeks because I didn't notice anything. I don't think I gave it enough time, so I'm gonna do it for at least 6 months and see.

Good luck with yours!
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Al Einstein
AlmostClever
Family Elder

Postby Rainbolt » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:37 pm

Fampridine is a slow release version of the medication. 4AP can make you dizzy etc... and I'm thinking the slow release may relieve these symptoms.

I too asked about Fampridine and got 4AP. Unfortunatley though the legs seemed to be getting better transmission of messages from the brain the dizziness was so bad I had to be spotted for the day till it cleared off so if I fell I could be caught! Yes that bad! I am excited that the slow release version, Fampridine, will make things better :)
Rainbolt
Family Member

Postby LisaE » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:49 pm

I wanted to share an article I wrote on Ampyra/4-aminopyridine which pulls together history of the research and patient stories. I don't know of any other place on the web which has all of this information in one place.

It would be great if folks interested would come read and comment. Obviously I don't participate much here at all, but I do occasionally come to TIMS to catch up on the latest.

Article can be found at AMPYRA™ (dalfampridine) FDA-approved for MS patients; Connie and Melissa share their stories
or http://www.healthcentral.com/multiple-s ... 100/ampyra

BTW, I am the MS blogger at http://brassandivory.blogspot.com/
LisaE

Re: Anyone taking 4-aminopyridine?

Postby KSA » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:47 pm

Yes, for 2 years now. It's great for me. Within 2 days, it took away painful spasticity I had in my right leg for over a year. Improves fatigue, but not balance.
KSA

Re: Anyone taking 4-aminopyridine?

Postby Thekla » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:44 pm

I took it for several years until my ccsvi procedure in Brooklyn in July. Now I function better without it. I don't feel any need to take it now.
Thekla
Family Elder

Return to Regimens