Note we may have some server downtime today and this weekend as we perform some upgrades. Please save a copy of any posts you make during this time in case we have any server trouble. Thank you!

George HSCT risk factors

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.

George HSCT risk factors

Postby RyanYum » Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:37 pm

I was just wondering what your thoughts were on risk factors after hsct such as

When looking to all-cause mortality in a cohort of almost 1500 patients who survived 2 or more years after allo-HSCT, mortality rates remain twice as high as that of the general population among 15-year survivors of allo-HSCT, and that the survivors face challenges affecting their health and well-being. Relapse of primary disease (29%) and chronic GVHD (cGVHD; 22%) were the leading causes of premature death.3 Moreover, in patients who have survived for at least 5 years after allo-HSCT without recurrence of the original disease, life expectancy is still not fully restored. Mortality rates remained four- to ninefold higher than those expected in the general population for at least 30 years after transplantation, providing an estimated 30% lower life expectancy, regardless of current age.

How do you feel the risks measured up with the reward.
RyanYum
Family Member

Re: George HSCT risk factors

Postby Pesho » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi, can you provide this study that you are citing? And I believe you are talking not only for MS patients, but mainly for cancer treatment and I think the protocols are different. Also what is the life expectancy without the treatment and on crab drugs?
Pesho
Family Member

Re: George HSCT risk factors

Postby iKat » Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:39 am

Is this is HSTC where the rate of mortality is increased in MS patients after the treatment??
iKat
Getting to Know You...

Return to Stem Cells