Fasting triggers stem cell regen. of damaged immune system

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.
ThisIsMA
Family Elder

Fasting triggers stem cell regen. of damaged immune system

Post by ThisIsMA »

An article from the University of Southern California:

Fasting triggers stem cell regeneration of damaged, old immune system

https://news.usc.edu/63669/fasting-trig ... ne-system/
The study has major implications for healthier aging, in which immune system decline contributes to increased susceptibility to disease as people age. By outlining how prolonged fasting cycles — periods of no food for two to four days at a time over the course of six months — kill older and damaged immune cells and generate new ones, the research also has implications for chemotherapy tolerance and for those with a wide range of immune system deficiencies, including autoimmunity disorders.
What do you think, could this be helpful?

M.A.
DX 6-09 RRMS, now SPMS
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Re: Fasting triggers stem cell regen. of damaged immune syst

Post by CureOrBust »

ThisIsMA wrote:What do you think, could this be helpful?
It did sound interesting, so I followed it to try and get the original published article, and read the following, which would make me a little cautious.
Prolonged fasting cycles promote HSC self-renewal to reverse immunosuppression
http://www.cell.com/cell-stem-cell/abst ... 14)00151-9
Lainie
Family Member

Post by Lainie »

The problem with all the articles I see about the USC study is a lack of specifics for how to replicate these results, i.e. how long to fast, water only, etc.
miri
Family Elder

Post by miri »

Long ago I went through an anti-yeast diet which an idiot doctor advised, but felt so miserably ill during that time that I'd never do it again.

I also once went through a Salt+C diet which people with Lyme were raving over. Ditto. That was even worse than the anti-yeast diet. (not only did it make me feel horrible no - NOT therapeutically-horrible, but horrible-horrible but all I gained from that was chipped front teeth, and tooth degeneration, as well as kidney issues)

Alot of these are intended for people who are more healthy, than non-healthy.

A much better yet effective way is gentle (I.E. InfraMud:

Reachable via PM. Seems I have Higbee's HSII on ThisIsMS. Frustrated by MSers, FMers, Lymers & Prematurely-Aged-By-EMFers who prefer cryptic jargonian Systems Vs. Intuitive empirical experience. Don't simple truths count for anything anymore?