UK stem cell researcher

Discuss stem cells, adult and embryonic, and their therapeutic potential for MS here.
bromley
Family Elder

UK stem cell researcher

Post by bromley »

I'd hope they can do better than 15 years. Thankfully, there is other stem cell research in the UK e.g. Professor Scolding, where an early pilot trial has begun.

<shortened url>
dignan
Family Elder

Post by dignan »

In the article he says 10, or maybe 15 years. I appreciate that he put a time to it and didn't just use the line researchers sometimes try that drives me crazy, "hopefully in my lifetime".
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Ian, leaving hope out of it and only being realistic, how long do you think it will be?

Not to be a pessimist but being as realistic as possible, I think 10-15 years might even be optimistic.

At this point I think the best hope, the QUICKEST and most certain hope involves finding ways to actively promote plasticity. The brain capacity is already there, the job of researchers is to find ways to promote rerouting around the damaged areas/train undamaged areas. It'll have to be seen if Optic nerve damage and spinal cord damage necessitate waiting for stem cells.

I haven't heard of any recent trips to the beaches of Southern Spain lately. Evidently the cost of fuel is even taking it's toll on the super-rich.

Bob
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Bob,

I was in southern Spain two weeks ago.

I'm also booked for Florida in August (and a week in France at the end of May). You americans need to travel more.

The super-rich like me are immune to the credit crunch, property market crash, rising food costs etc. But I don't like to boast.

I think there might be some stem cell treatments in 5-7 years. But if you keeep smoking 60 fags a day you won't be around to witness it (on the positive side, you won't be around to post on this site!)

Ian