new, scared and numb...

A forum dedicated to the younger people living with MS reflecting their unique concerns.
hlm286
Family Elder

new, scared and numb...

Post by hlm286 »

Hi everyone.
I was just diagnosed with MS. I'm 24, married, and have a 16 month old daughter. My entire torso pretty much and left arm are stone numb. I finished 3 days of IV steroids on friday but am on no other meds. I'm still in shock from the whole situation and am praying for the feeling to come back in my body so that I can feel again, and go back to work, care for my daughter, etc... I guess I'm looking for others who have had this numbness and it went away for hope that mine will too. Can anyone give me some ray of hope? I'm trying to be optimistic but I'm also so scared...
fishee2
Getting to Know You...

Post by fishee2 »

Hello! While I have not experienced the same symptoms as yourself, I have had some other issues. At one point I had facial paralysis, I could not move half of my face, and another time I had double vision, very scarey situations so I know how you're feeling. However there is good news, the IV therapies have cleared up my symptoms every time, sometimes they can take a bit longer to kick in and fully cure youre issues, but keep having faith. I am 24 now with a daughter on the way, dealing with MS since I was 17, you can get through this just try your best to stay optimistic!
hlm286
Family Elder

Post by hlm286 »

thank you so much! I will try and be more optimistic.
britney
Getting to Know You...

Post by britney »

Numbness is the most common symptom for me. Seems like I always have some sort of numbness, right now I'm in the middle of an attack so both legs and torso are numb (yet I walk just fine, funny how that works). The biggest thing that has helped me is diet. I've been on the Blood Type Diet for a year and it has been incredible, it brought me out of the worst and longest attack I've ever had. I tried other diets and a lot of drugs, I attribute it to the diet because I almost instantly have problems when I sway from it. I know a lot of people talk about different diets and I know that a different thing seems to work for everyone, you almost need to find what works for you. I'm not trying to spam about it but if you want to learn more, check out dadamo.com. I'm trying acupuncture on Saturday to get me over this attack since I seem to respond well to non-traditional medicine more than anything else, I've heard lots of good things about acupuncture and MS patients for years, it might be worth looking into for you too. Good luck getting over the numbness!
mattalleng
Family Member

Post by mattalleng »

Hi, numbness was actually my first main symptom. It started in my right foot and worked its way all the way up my leg to just below my lower shoulder blade. My arm seems to be fine but everywhere else I am numb on the right that my body, as if you drew a line straight down the center. I would compare my numbness to a trip to the dentist, you know how when they shoot you up with Novocain you're lip feels all funny? Like you can touch it and you can tell you're touching it but you could bite it, make it bleed, and not even know.

That's how my numbness feels, if I put my hands on my leg I know I'm touching my leg however, I could easily grab a razor blade right now and cut into my leg and not even feel it. The way I feel temperature has also changed on the right side of my body where I am numb. Cold burns! When cold water splashes on me it feels like hot oil popping on my skin from a frying pan! I don't really seem to feel heat considering I first realized I was numb when I learned I could keep my foot under the scolding hot faucet water in my bathtub as long as I wanted to even though just tapping my other foot under the water for just a split second burnt! It also hurts to touch anything else cold such as a cold piece metal or even a cold table surface(my right arm gets a little sensitive to cold sometimes even though it's not numb), really weird...

I am just glad that it stopped at my shoulder blade and didn't make its way to my face or my arm... I was scared at first, but I have to admit, since my other symptoms popped up I hardly even think about my numbness, I guess because I still have SOME feeling it doesn't get in the way too much... Just have to be careful that I'm not burning my skin or anything like that.

But it's really good that you are started steroids, that does wonders for people! It's definitely helped me improve, but I still have my numbness... I start my injections this week and will be starting an anti-inflammatory diet pretty soon so I'm hoping between that and my oral steroids that I will go into remission soon, but in your case, I wouldn't worry too much, the steroids will probably help but keep in mind you might see effects as soon as three treatments or as long as two months, fingers crossed! Good luck!

http://mattsms.blogspot.com/
http://www.mattsms.com<br />
Stabilo
Family Member

Post by Stabilo »

Hey just wanted to check in on your numbness...how are you feeling?? I am currently numb in my left side of my face and have had terrible difficulties in the past week but it is slowly getting better. Try to keep your chin up! I know it's hard sometimes, but it's necessary! I am a 26 year old mother of 2 and know how difficult it can be! here if you want to chat
dlb
Family Elder

Post by dlb »

Hello hlm286,

Is this a first attack for you or is it just a different type of symptom for you?

Numbness, lack of sensation (could not feel cold like tile on the floor, or the porcelain of the toilet.. on one side) is how my first MS Symptoms presented. Also, in some areas of my leg,s that tingly feeling like when the rfeezing is coming out (at the dentist). I would describe the lack of sensation also as though when I touched my bare leg, it felt like I was touching my leg while I was wearing pants - not like skin on skin???

It is such a scary feeling because it just feels like it will be like that forever - it somehow feels so permanent, doesn't it? That is what makes it so frightening for me anyhow. My attacks come come on slowly, creeping up my legs and one time I felt a constriction - like a big old boa constrictor wrapped around my waist. When they recede, they seem to recede back downwards again, for me anyway and as slowly as the symptoms work their way up, that is how slowly they work their way back down. It is very hard for me to put this into practice, because I get so afraid, but I know that if I can make myself relax and make myself get some rest, it really helps the symptoms ease up. I find that stress is a huge trigger for me & so is lack of rest. I get a little buzz in my R big toe when I am tired or stressed and it is my cue to chill, relax & de-stress. This very difficult for me when I am having an attack, but I know it is my best medicine.

I hope it eases up for you soon.
Deb
Emari

Re: new, scared and numb...

Post by Emari »

Hello! I know it's been several years since this was posted, and I hope you're doing better and have learned to manage your symptoms. My toes went numb in 2004, my left hand went numb in 2008, and in 2013 the entire lower half of my body felt squeezed like a boa constrictor had a good grip on me. That's when I was diagnosed. I have never regained feeling from the waist down, but I have taught myself to swim and walk again, and most of the time, even though the numbness, stiffness and heaviness is still there, my brain seems to do a pretty good job of ignoring it. Sometimes I'm conscious of the odd sensation of feeling like I weigh 300 lbs although I only weigh 110. But most of the time I don't even notice and I'm able to get on with my life. Everyone's story is different. My best advice is to eat right, sleep well, exercise and keep stress levels low.

Return to “Under 25 with MS”