Tingling and Numbness, prompted by infection? :s

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
albo181

Tingling and Numbness, prompted by infection? :s

Post by albo181 »

Hi guys,

Last week I started to experience stiffening sensations and pressures, quite suddenly, in the back and sides of my neck, with similar pressures underneath my jawline. Shortly after I felt a numbness in different parts of my face and crown, but mainly on the left side. It seemed to last for 3 or 4 hours and I have to say it really scared me and I had a short panic attack. I went to bed, and the next day I woke up feeling more-or-less ok, until several hours later I started to experience more numbness in the left hand part of my face, however it wasn't just my face this time but also I was experiencing a tingling sensation in my left arm, and even a little in my left foot. I went to the doctor who sent me to the hospital as a precaution. By this time, i was having a tingling sensation (as if the dentist had injected me) in my upper lip area.
At the hospital, they didn't give me any scans but they did a lot of reaction tests: eyes, ears, seeing if I could apply pressure etc. as well as a blood test, and they said they weren't concerned that it was something urgent. The next day they did arrange an appointment with the neurologist, but he sent another doctor to see me first, and the neurologist said that he wouldn't need to see me as my symptoms didn't seem serious :confused:

Since then, I have had a day or two feeling a bit better, but in the last few days I've experienced tingling sensations in nearly all parts of my body, on both sides. The numbness sensation has practically gone, but I'm now left with this tingling, and sometimes itching, on my legs, backs, arms, and face. What scares me the most is that several days before this happenned, I was diagnosed with acute Otitis in both ears and given antibiotics for 7 days. I read that infections can spark off symptoms of MS, and this is now worrying me.

I am a 30 year old male with a history of Anxiety problems, including tingling. However, never before have I experienced the 'numbness' sensation in my face, and I've certainly never had tingling on only the left hand side of my body before. Aside from that, I do not feel anxious at the moment, so this is all quite mysterious for me.

I have an appointment with a neurologist in one month, but I don't want to wait this long to see what it is. If anyone can provide any advice, I'd be so grateful.

Thanks!
Alex
bartman
Family Elder

Re: Tingling and Numbness, prompted by infection? :s

Post by bartman »

Alex,
If I were you I would educate yourself on Lyme, Bartonella and babesia. These infections are often misdiagnosed for MS and sometimes when you treat one infection the other infection comes out. It takes a combination of antibiotics to treat them. I would also check out the cpn website CPn Help.

MS meds and steroids are to be avoided if you have these infections as they would make it worse. Hope this helps, it can take a long time to treat. Educate yourself on the controversy of Lyme disease on just about everything including testing, treatment, co-infections.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

albo181 wrote:I have an appointment with a neurologist in one month, but I don't want to wait this long to see what it is. If anyone can provide any advice, I'd be so grateful.
Welcome to ThisIsMS, Alex.

I think my symptoms of tingling are due to my elevated insulin; I suspect yours are too. I suggest you ask your GP (a neurologist will not be inclined to order this blood test) for a "fasting blood insulin test" (this is NOT the same as a blood sugar or glucose test). If your insulin level is elevated above 3 UU/ML, you can discuss with your doctor the next step to take.

There are people with MS who have found improvement with diet. You may find the story of Dr. Terry Wahls and her dramatic improvement with diet and exercise interesting: http://www.TerryWahls.com
My hypothesis: excess insulin (hyperinsulinemia) plays a major role in MS, as developed in my initial post: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-discussion-f1/topic1878.html "Insulin – Could This Be the Key?"
grandsons4
Family Member

Post by grandsons4 »

albo181: B12 deficiency is known to cause MS like symptoms, including (if not especially) yours. I was lead to this knowledge by others on this forum. Search the B12 threads for leads on information and personal experiences. If it is a deficiency, it can be corrected relatively simply, cheaply, and at minimal, if any, risk. Research it.