Symptoms, thoughts? Thank you!

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.

Symptoms, thoughts? Thank you!

Postby mallori735 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:59 am

Around three years ago I started seeing 'lights' in my vision (small bright, pin-hole lights that appear in my peripheral and then disappear as soon as I look at them). Around this time I also started getting strange tingling sensations down the right (sometimes the left) side of my head and onto my neck at random times. It would tingle in waves for about 30 seconds to a minute then stop. A few weeks/a month after these symptoms started I had what my neurologist said was probably a seizure but no one witnessed it so he wasn't quite sure. I had another seizure-like episode a few months later very similar to the first. Had multiple EEGs (short ones and one 24 hour one) done and a brain MRI to check for tumors I guess but they all came back normal. The neurologist said that sometimes people just have seizures and he wasn't sure what caused mine. He also said that the numbness/tingling was probably silent migraines (migraines with an aura but no pain). This diagnosis never made sense to me because I saw lights/had tingling almost everyday and just didn't feel like that was right.

Since then the tingling/numbness and seeing lights hasn't gone away, it comes and goes for weeks/a month sometimes but is still happening. Also, the tingling has moved from my head/neck to sometimes occurring on my upper arm area and has now moved down to my hip area, sometimes even on my lower leg/calve. It's always the same sensation but just on a different, specific area of my skin. Also, I have developed in the past six or so months, muscle jerks in my arms and legs that I can't control. They don't happen all that often, but just every once in a while either my arm or leg will suddenly jerk very hard and I don't even feel it coming. Another thing I've noticed is a strange, very painful shock-like sensation that I get when I am sitting or bending my neck/back a certain way. I would say this is just me pinching a nerve when I positioned a certain way, but it has just started happening in the past year or so. Also lately I've developed memory issues it seems, I have been very stressed with college lately, but it's just weird. I can have a conversation with a friend and completely forget we ever had it when they bring it back up later in the day or the next day. I can remember it after they remind me about what was said, but I cannot remember anything about it before then. It's so strange.

Sorry this is long. Basically, I want to know if people with MS (or without) think I should go back to the neurologist with these new symptoms to see what he thinks now. Most of these symptoms aren't annoying enough to interrupt my daily life or bother me that much now, but when I get thinking about them I do start to worry that this may be something more serious. Thank you for any opinions/thoughts!
mallori735

Advertisement

Re: Symptoms, thoughts? Thank you!

Postby CaliReader » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:01 pm

I would check in with a doctor about that shock when you bend your neck and about the muscle jerks. You could google l'hermitte's sign, or just ask your doctor. My experience is that neurologists hear a lot about skin sensations from people with a wide variety of diseases. They are tough to live with but not particularly helpful to the doctor in figuring out what is going on.

I would go back, to make an official record of your symptoms that may be helpful to you either now or later as things develop.
CaliReader
Family Elder

Return to Undiagnosed