Am I Crazy? Or Possible MS? Seeing Dr This Week. Opinions...

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
brokenandbeautiful
Getting to Know You...

Am I Crazy? Or Possible MS? Seeing Dr This Week. Opinions...

Post by brokenandbeautiful »

Hi everyone. I have been researching MS for about a week now. I have had some symptoms that seems to go along with MS. I have an appt with my GP this Friday in hopes of getting a neuro ref. I don't really know how to start explaining what's been going on but I'll do my best. For starters I'm a 33 year old woman. I have had 4 pregnancies since 2007. all preterm, 1st with several defects and she passed from a heart defect while in the NICU at 4 months old. My 2nd was stillborn 8 months into my pregnancy. I now have two very healthy kids ages 2 and 4.

My symptoms started back I believe when I was 18. Although at the time I didn't think anything of it. It wasn't until I started looking into MS that I recalled this incident. When I was 18 I got deathly sick from a kidney infection. OK, deathly was taking it a bit far... I went to the ER and got an IV antibiotic and sent home on some as well. I had a follow up appt with a urologist who did a CAT scan of my kidneys. Everything was fine as far as that was concerned. (My kidneys are misplaced (both in my abdomen, one directly on my bladder and one below my spleen) but I have know that since I was a little girl. I was born with that defect) They also preformed a test where they inserted a catheter into my bladder and some kind of sensor into my rectum. They filled my bladder full of fluid and then monitored my bladder on some kind of computer device where the sensor in my rectum was sending signals. It was found that I have a spastic bladder and unable to completely drain all the urine from my bladder. It was causing urine to sit in my bladder and give me kidney infections. To "fix" this problem they inserted 4...yes FOUR adult sized catheters into my bladder at ONE time! VERY VERY painful!!! Never want to go through that again. It seems to have worked all these years. I haven't had an infection since.

OK so I have read that a spastic bladder can be a symptom of MS. That's my earliest memory of anything MS related.

Fast forward several years. Or not, maybe rewind, IDK. I have had deep leg pain all of my life. I remember as a little girl it was always growing pains. But as I got older it never really went away. Well, it did for many years (15-24) but right as I became pregnant for the 1st time these "growing pains" came back. It was horrible. I could hardly bare to stand. I was like that for the duration of my pregnancy. After I delivered I don't recall having the pain anymore, at least for a while. Then it returned here and there every few months between pregnancies. Some times it effected one leg, sometimes both. It was hit or miss. Just until here recently I always assumed poor circulation because I have varicose veins in my legs and I have always thought that was the reason for my pain. The pain feels like a tooth ache but much worse. No OTC pain meds help and no anti-inflammatory meds helps either. I have naproxen prescribed for cramps during my monthly period and have tried using it for my leg pain when it comes on but it's never been helpful. The pain I'm describing would come on all of a sudden and last for a minimum of 4 days and as long as 2 weeks. Also the pain I feel in my legs I also feel in my arms too. Never in both arms at the same time, always only one arm at a time. And once the pain is gone it will stay gone for about 2-3 months before returning. Another thing is the feeling on constant shin splints with little to no activity. It eventually radiates down to my ankle and up to my hip.

Back/neck pain:
Many years ago when I was 16 I was in a minor car accident when I jarred my neck a bit. I went to some PT and it seemed to be ok. A couple years later I started having some pain in that area again. I went to a ciro and got some relief. Fast forward to a couple summers ago I started getting this pins and needles feeling in my back. It is usually on one side over my right shoulder blade. It is a place the side of about a little larger than my hand. When I started getting this feeling I also was getting a "catch" like feeling in my neck. The "catch" pain and pins and needle pain lasted for about 2-3 weeks and then disappeared. I was very concerned about what was going on so I went to see an orthopedic for back/spine. The Dr basically brushed me off and tried to tell me it was from keeping my head in a downward position from "smartphone use". That was after I told her I wasn't using my phone like that and spent a very minimal amount of time on my phone. The pain was gone as were the pins and needle feeling. It was gone for almost a year and then it came back about 4 weeks ago. This time I have the same neck pain but now the pins and needles is from shoulder to shoulder and going about 1/4 of the way down my back. I now also have MID back pain just like the pain at the neck although I've never had an injury to that part of my since. It hurts to lay in the bed and I have the most of my pain early mornings. Oh and the pins and needle/tingling feeling is almost like a buzzing feeling. The pain has lasted for over 24 hours without giving up and it has also been off and on happening several times an hour every hour all day lasting about 10 or so mins at a time.

Speaking of pins and needles, when I was pregnant with my last 2 babies I kept a pins and needles feeling in my ribs. Usually one side and occasionally both. I brought it up often to my OB and was always told it was my uterus pushing on my ribs causing this sensation. But, now I'm no longer pregnant and it's still happening from time to time. And when it happens it feels like I have a hard knot right beneath my rib and can't bend over. Also I get pins and needles feelings in my arms more recently and even more recent is a slight numb feeling in my arms and hands.

Sometimes out of no where while walking my lee or hip will buckle on me and make me dip down. Thankfully I have never fallen because of it and not sure why it happens.

More recently I have been having "milky" vision that last for a few days and then clears up. Also recently I've been having what I can only describe as "3D" vision. I'll be reading text and it seems as if the words float off of the background and the background sinks further away. I have to really try to re focus my eyes. I also get a pain bend my eye that shoots down into what seems to be my back teeth and sometimes throat.

Fatigue. Usually I just think why am I so lazy? I really have the desire to get up and do things but most days I just feel like I just don't have the energy to even fix a pot of coffee.

Memory issues: My biggest concern here is I will forget what I'm talking about MID sentence. It makes me feel completely stupid! I will forget why I walked into a room when I only started into the room less than 5 seconds ago.

I see flashing lights. I have been seeing these off and on for about 4-5 years now.

I get tight muscles in the arches of my feet. So tight that doing nothing but sitting will cause them to have cramps. I will have to stand in hope to get the cramp out. Sometimes standing isn't an option and I have to get my husband to stretch my foot for me. These cramps in my feel have been know to wake me in the middle of the night.

I am always running into door frames and corners.

If I am over active I get very tight and painful muscles. By over active I mean out all day shopping, on my feet all day working on projects, etc. I don't workout so I didn't want to make you think that's what I meant. I feel very stiff. It hurst to change positions at this time and the stiffness is mostly from the hips down (hips, knees, ankles) but on occasion is in my elbow or shoulder at night and early morning.

At times I "see things" mostly just black shadows out of the corners of my eyes. Usually I think it's a spider or bug of some sort. I usually know it's not there when that is happening. This has been going on for many years.

Also I seem to have lots of pain in my thighs. The pains is from a simple touch. My kids can tap me on the legs to get my attention or my husband can give me a "love tap" on the thighs and it hurts like I have horrible bruising. Even washing my thighs in the showers hurts like they are bruised. Again, this isn't always, just from time to time. And it like everything else is here for a while then gone for a while.

My eyes are VERY sensitive to sunlight. The sun light actually causes them pain.

I have had ringing in my ears almost constantly for the last couple years. It's more just annoying than anything. I mentioned that to my GP last year and she was clueless so she brushed me off.

The last thing that happened was about 3 maybe 4 months ago. I had what felt like a heart attack. It scared me to death. My chest was tight, I had some pain in my chest, and I could barely breath. It felt like I was being crushed by an elephant. So I had to take small shallow breaths. The pain went down my arm as well. This lasted for about 20-30 minutes. At the time all I could think about was I was having a heart attack. The I thought I was too young for that. So I thought maybe an anxiety attack. I've never had anxiety or been anxious but it was the only other thing I could think of that could produce symptoms like this. That is until the other day when I read about the MS hug. And it sounds exactly like what happened to me. Although it's not happened since.

So sorry for writing a book and thank you if you've made it this far down. Like I said I have an appointment this Friday with a new GP in hope to get over to see a neuro. In the meantime I'm grasping for straws here. I'd love to hear your thoughts here. Does any of this even sound like MS to you or could all of this be totally unrelated. I feel like I have so much going on and most of the time I feel like I'd sound crazy to say all of this to a doctor who would likely end up listing me as a hypochondriac. Thanks for listening. <3
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Am I Crazy? Or Possible MS? Seeing Dr This Week. Opinion

Post by lyndacarol »

Hi and welcome to ThisIsMS, brokenandbeautiful. We are glad you found us; we are good listeners; you are NOT a hypochondriac!

The symptoms you have could be MS, but they could be many other conditions that need to be ruled out first before the diagnosis of MS can be made. In my opinion, the first possibility to be ruled out is a vitamin B12 deficiency (All your symptoms are consistent with a B12 deficiency, and any person at any age can develop a B12 deficiency – even as an infant.). Do not take any vitamin B supplements before possible testing, as this can mask a deficiency.

Numbness/tingling in the legs and arms is the textbook definition of "peripheral neuropathy." This is a common symptom in MANY conditions (and is the most commonly reported symptom in B12 deficiency). In investigating the cause of peripheral neuropathy, the University of Chicago suggests the following:

http://peripheralneuropathycenter.uchic ... #bloodtest\
Blood tests

Blood tests are commonly employed to check for vitamin deficiencies, toxic elements and evidence of an abnormal immune response.

Depending on your individual situation, your doctor may request certain laboratory tests to identify potentially treatable causes for neuropathy. These include tests for:

Vitamin B12 and folate levels
Thyroid, liver and kidney functions
Vasculitis evaluation
Oral glucose tolerance test
Antibodies to nerve components (e.g., anti-MAG antibody)
Antibodies related to celiac disease
Lyme disease
HIV/AIDS
Hepatitis C and B
Please note that the first blood test the U of Chicago suggests is for vitamin B12. There have been several malpractice cases won (for several million dollars each!) when doctors did not look for vitamin B 12 deficiencies and patients went on to develop irreversible neurologic damage.

Before you see your new GP on Friday, I urge you to watch the following video: "Everything You Want Your Doctor to Know about Vitamin B12"

I highly recommend this 50-minute documentary featuring Sally Pacholok, RN, BSN & her husband Jeffrey Stuart, D.O. (authors of the book, Could It Be B12? An Epidemic of Misdiagnoses); Lawrence Solomon, M.D., hematologist with Yale Medical School; Ralph Green, M.D., hematologist at UC Davis; and Donald Jacobsen, PhD, at the Cleveland Clinic (Homocysteine Research Lab).

You will find many of your symptoms described in the "red flags," lists of signs and symptoms, and especially in Part 4: The Story of Torri Gardner.

Take a concise list of your symptoms to your GP on Friday, discuss with him/her a plan of investigation (per U of Chicago guidelines – your GP can begin to order tests and possibly refer to a hematologist), request your own copy of any test results.

We wish you all the best; please let us know how things go.
MSBS

Post by MSBS »

HERE ARE THE REAL ANSWERS- Google this MS does not exist, what You all have is Lyme parasites, they can be micro tiny and hide even in the white blood cells, or be even as big as 2 inches long. Google MS is Lyme, or Anatomy of a cover up.
Or Lyme is parasitic and bacterial, we have all been lied to ........

http://owndoc.com/lyme/multiple-scleros ... -cover-up/
brokenandbeautiful
Getting to Know You...

MSBS wrote:HERE ARE THE REAL ANSWERS- Google this MS does not exist, what You all have is Lyme parasites, they can be micro tiny and hide even in the white blood cells, or be even as big as 2 inches long. Google MS is Lyme, or Anatomy of a cover up.
Or Lyme is parasitic and bacterial, we have all been lied to ........

http://owndoc.com/lyme/multiple-scleros ... -cover-up/

That article was the biggest bunch of BS I have ever read! You have no substantial medical documentation to back up ANY of those statements. You only have the thoughts and opinions of people and no real research documented.
brokenandbeautiful
Getting to Know You...

So I went to the appt yesterday. The new Dr I had seen said he;s never heard of pins and needles in the back like I'm describing. He seemed to not really understand all my symptoms and how they were all related. He did do an x-ray on my back and it only showed slight arthritis in my neck but none in my mid back. Which still doesn't explain all my pins and needles in my back as well as other places. All my normal hematology came back with normal levels.

He ran some other test for autoimmune disorders as well. The ANA I have had check on 3 different occasions in the past only because my my pregnancy history. That's a story for another day. But he also checked HLA B27, Rheumatoid Factor (Quantitative), Sed Rate, and my TSH.

He thinks what I am experiencing is muscle spasms but not sure why I'd be having these spasms all over my body in random places and how my back pain ties into it. He said I may have more than one issue going on at a time. He said it would be rare, but possible.

He prescribed Mobic for although I told him I have tried anti inflammatory meds in the past (naproxen) with no relief. And he also prescribed muscle relaxers to take. I took one last night and to be honest it didn't help a thing, intact I work up in more pain this morning. Not to mention I woke feeling like a zombie since they make you sleepy. That's not a great combo when you have a 2 and 4 year old to take care of. I took one of the mobic tablets this morning as well and again, no relief.

Have any of you been prescribed these meds? If so did they work?

And have any of you diagnosed with MS has these same blood test run? If so what were your results?

The dr wants to see me back in 4 weeks to see if the meds have worked. If not he said he wants to run a series of other test. Although I'm not sure what test he wants to run. I do know he mentioned an MRI. And I hate to take something that's not working. I'll take it for a couple more days to see if it finally kicks in but if it does't then I'm going to stop. No need to fill myself full of meds that simply don't work.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

brokenandbeautiful wrote:So I went to the appt yesterday. The new Dr I had seen said he;s never heard of pins and needles in the back like I'm describing. He seemed to not really understand all my symptoms and how they were all related. He did do an x-ray on my back and it only showed slight arthritis in my neck but none in my mid back. Which still doesn't explain all my pins and needles in my back as well as other places. All my normal hematology came back with normal levels.

He ran some other test for autoimmune disorders as well. The ANA I have had check on 3 different occasions in the past only because my my pregnancy history. That's a story for another day. But he also checked HLA B27, Rheumatoid Factor (Quantitative), Sed Rate, and my TSH.

He thinks what I am experiencing is muscle spasms but not sure why I'd be having these spasms all over my body in random places and how my back pain ties into it. He said I may have more than one issue going on at a time. He said it would be rare, but possible.

He prescribed Mobic for although I told him I have tried anti inflammatory meds in the past (naproxen) with no relief. And he also prescribed muscle relaxers to take. I took one last night and to be honest it didn't help a thing, intact I work up in more pain this morning. Not to mention I woke feeling like a zombie since they make you sleepy. That's not a great combo when you have a 2 and 4 year old to take care of. I took one of the mobic tablets this morning as well and again, no relief.

Have any of you been prescribed these meds? If so did they work?

And have any of you diagnosed with MS has these same blood test run? If so what were your results?

The dr wants to see me back in 4 weeks to see if the meds have worked. If not he said he wants to run a series of other test. Although I'm not sure what test he wants to run. I do know he mentioned an MRI. And I hate to take something that's not working. I'll take it for a couple more days to see if it finally kicks in but if it does't then I'm going to stop. No need to fill myself full of meds that simply don't work.
It is good to hear that your new doctor has ordered testing for many possibilities. By the way, I think it is a good idea to request copies of any of your test results.

Over the years I have had many of these same tests ordered. Like yours, my blood tests have been "normal." Only my fasting insulin test results have been moderately elevated (usually 9 UU/ML or higher – 3 UU/ML or lower is the ideal level).

No doctor has prescribed for me any of these drugs you mentioned – no Mobic, no muscle relaxers.

If your doctor is unwilling to order the several tests necessary to rule out a B12 deficiency, perhaps he would be willing to order a trial therapy of B12 injections. Unfortunately, doctors' office in the US give cyanocobalamin (cyano B12) injections – this is the cheapest form of B12 and is not easily absorbed and used by the body. Methylcobalamin (methyl B12) is the preferred form; it is easily used by the body, but is only available through a compounding pharmacy.

Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin; it is not toxic; it is not expensive; any excess that your body does not use will be flushed out in urine. If your doctor is cooperative, a six-month diagnostic trial might give you valuable information.

I agree with your opinions of "meds that simply don't work" (I have my own doubts that Mobic and muscle relaxers will be effective for you); but keep your doctor's office informed if you wish to stop a prescription drug.

Keep in mind that since a B12 deficiency can run in families, it might be a good idea to test your 2- and 4--year-olds (at some time when other testing is being done) or at least alert their pediatrician to watch for the possibility.
leetz
Family Elder

Post by leetz »

Please please go to see a Neurologist! Leaving it up to your GP is very risky, it is much better to know what is really happening rather than to test drugs that may not even help those of us already diagnosed... if you look into it I am sure you will find that Multiple Sclerosis is not easy to diagnose and most times it takes too long to get a diagnosis and then you are left with residual lost function that may not ever return... early diagnosis is so important! By the way I am not a doctor but I too started with bladder problems.. the medical terminology is a "neurogenic bladder" forgive me if I spelled it wrong. This is a typical sign of MS. So again, I am just offering advice, I am not a doctor. It took them 8 years to properly diagnose me thru a spinal tap (ouch)...but because it took so long, I believe I am way worse off than I would have been had they caught it earlier. Be safe, be sure, and always listen to what your body is telling you, as, even Doctor's are simply human.... hope this helps you out and glad that you came to this site, it certainly helped me and still does...even when considering what medications I should take...
GOD BLESS.... CCSVI treatment Dr. Siskin great doc....symptom's improved for about 3 week's (gait, balance, spasticity) now back to square 1...
brokenandbeautiful
Getting to Know You...

I got all my blood work back and everything was normal except for my RA Latex Turbid test and it came back high. I don't do back to the Dr until Jan 2nd. Anyone here ever have a high reading on this test but all other test normal? Going to see where if anywhere my Dr refers me at my next appt or what other test he may order. Then if necessary ill schedule my own appointment with a neurologist.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi b&b, curious what you had tested? any nutrient levels? i have not had an ra latex turbid test done to my recollection.
you might be interested in some of today's related discussion here: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/undiagnos ... ml#p231161
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
brokenandbeautiful
Getting to Know You...

jimmylegs wrote:hi b&b, curious what you had tested? any nutrient levels? i have not had an ra latex turbid test done to my recollection.
you might be interested in some of today's related discussion here: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/undiagnos ... ml#p231161
Here is a list of my test and the results. The only ones not on the list are my ANA...negative, my HLA B27...negative, and my RA Latex Turbid which was considered high at 14.1

RDW POL

13.0 %(Normal)
Reference Range
13 % - 16 %
% Mononuclear Cells (MO) Hematology POL

7.0 %(Normal)
Reference Range
4 % - 11 %
% LYMPH Hematology POL

34.2 %(Normal)
Reference Range
17 % - 46 %
% GRAN Hematology POL

58.8 %(Normal)
Reference Range
43 % - 74 %
PLT Hematology POL

232 K/uL(Normal)
Reference Range
153 K/uL - 376 K/uL
MCV Hematology POL

89.8 fL(Normal)
Reference Range
80 fL - 99 fL
RBC Hematology POL

4.56 M/uL(Normal)

Reference Range
4 M/uL - 5 M/uL
WBC Hematology POL

6.9 K/uL(Normal)
Reference Range
4 K/uL - 11 K/uL
Hemoglobin POL

13.8 gm/dL(Normal)
Reference Range
11.5 gm/dL - 15.0 gm/dL
Hematocrit POL

40.9 %(Normal)
Reference Range
34.00 % - 44.00 %
Sedimentation Rate

6 mm/hNormal
Reference Range
mm/h - 20 mm/h
TSH

1.779 u[IU]/mL (Normal)
Reference Range
0.300 u[IU]/mL - 4.500 u[IU]/mL
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

Most regular doctors are baffled by the symptoms of MS. This is not a surprise. MS is a difficult disease to diagnose. My original doctor took similar action to yours as he/we thought I had a sinus infection. In fact, after visits to many specialists over the course of several months, it was my ENT doctor who ruled out any type of sinus/ear infection and suggested I see a neurologist. The neurologist ruled out MS in spite of it being in my family history. He was positive I did not have it. Out of desperation and at the suggestion of my dear mother (mothers always know best, don't they), I went to a MS specialist. My doctor at the Neurological Department of the Cleveland Clinic knew otherwise. Viewing the same MRI results as the first neurologist I saw, my Doctor, who is a MS specialists, was able to confirm with the MRI and other testing what was suspected.

IF you are still having symptoms, go see a neurologist that specializes in MS. Don't delay.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ah ok so looks like they didn't get around to evaluating your nutrient levels. you'll likely have to push for that if you are interested in ruling out nutrient imbalance issues as possible contributors to your past and current symptoms.

if you think you can get the tests done, you might want to look at some of the nutrient levels that are typically low normal in ms patients but high normal in healthy people. these include (for starters) serum vit b12, serum 25(OH)vitamind3, serum magnesium and serum zinc. could be an idea to test serum ferritin also. there are certainly a few other things to consider as well, but those four are a good place to start. the vit B and vit D will be most familiar to your docs, the mag and zinc probably less so.

this post will link you up to earlier discussion about members' bloodwork results and interpretation
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/undiagnos ... ml#p230819

if you can't get bloodwork, you can review your diet to see if you are meeting daily targets for essential micronutrients. another new member here has recently tried that approach and you can read about their experience to date here: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/undiagnos ... 25652.html

here's an example of a member using dietary measures to address fatigue (i'm dropping you in part way through page one but do read through to the end of p.2):
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... ml#p230894

let me know if any of that looks interesting, and if so feel free to ask any questions :)
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
brokenandbeautiful
Getting to Know You...

jimmylegs wrote:ah ok so looks like they didn't get around to evaluating your nutrient levels. you'll likely have to push for that if you are interested in ruling out nutrient imbalance issues as possible contributors to your past and current symptoms.

if you think you can get the tests done, you might want to look at some of the nutrient levels that are typically low normal in ms patients but high normal in healthy people. these include (for starters) serum vit b12, serum 25(OH)vitamind3, serum magnesium and serum zinc. could be an idea to test serum ferritin also. there are certainly a few other things to consider as well, but those four are a good place to start. the vit B and vit D will be most familiar to your docs, the mag and zinc probably less so.

this post will link you up to earlier discussion about members' bloodwork results and interpretation
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/undiagnos ... ml#p230819

if you can't get bloodwork, you can review your diet to see if you are meeting daily targets for essential micronutrients. another new member here has recently tried that approach and you can read about their experience to date here: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/undiagnos ... 25652.html

here's an example of a member using dietary measures to address fatigue (i'm dropping you in part way through page one but do read through to the end of p.2):
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... ml#p230894

let me know if any of that looks interesting, and if so feel free to ask any questions :)

Thanks! I'll check those links out soon. The last time I had my VitD check was in 2012 when I was pregnant and it was very low. My OB put me on a daily dose to keep it up during my pregnancy. I haven't had it checked since. Now, I'm curious to know what it is...
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ok sounds good. hopefully you find some helpful info in the linked conversations.

did the docs put you on magnesium while they were correcting your low vit d3 level? if not, there's lots to read up on in that department too :)
brokenandbeautiful
Getting to Know You...

So I have since went back to my dr for a follow up. The meds he gave me didn't work at all. He then prescribed prednsione(sp?) 60mg on a tapper over 10 days. It took away my mid back pain which was great. I still have other stuff going on though that this dr seems to just be brushing off and ignoring all together. He keeps talking to me like I'm crazy. My brother recommended a spinal dr that he has been going to. I went yesterday and he ordered an MRI right away. I go tomorrow morning. He only ordered an MRI of my cervical spine as well as the rest of my spine. Anyone here have MS lesions in the spine? How about the spine only? I do not know the level of MRI but I do know it's without contrast. If they're are lesions in my spine will it be picked up without contrast? Anyhow, I figure an MRI is a step in the right direction to figure out what is going on with me regardless of what t is.