What Can I Expect at My Neurologist Appointment?

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
Mommy5kids
Getting to Know You...

What Can I Expect at My Neurologist Appointment?

Post by Mommy5kids »

Hi Everyone!

I am anxiously awaiting my neuro appointment and was wondering if you can give me an idea of what a typical first appointment with a neurologist is like. I have kept a journal of my symptoms and have a copy of my labs and a disc of my MRI. Will there be tests at this appointment? How long does the first appointment usually last?

I work in orthopedics. I realize that not all orthopedic surgeons are the same and don't expect neuros to be. I'm just hoping you'll share with me your what your first neuro appointment was like.

Thanks in advance!
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: What Can I Expect at My Neurologist Appointment?

Post by ElliotB »

Why don't you contact your doctor's office and ask?

I have seen two different neurologists and the approaches/test were quite different from each other.

TIP: Since it appears you suspect MS, make sure you are seeing a neurologist who specializes in MS
Mommy5kids
Getting to Know You...

Post by Mommy5kids »

ElliotB wrote:Why don't you contact your doctor's office and ask?

I have seen two different neurologists and the approaches/test were quite different from each other.

TIP: Since it appears you suspect MS, make sure you are seeing a neurologist who specializes in MS
I don't know that I suspect MS just yet. It's certainly one of a few things that might be going on. I was just hoping a few folks would say, "here's what happened when I went". It's a comfort to read others' experiences when you're going through your own.

I think I would feel odd calling and asking what to expect. I guess I'll just be sure to shave my legs and paint my toes and whatever happens happens. :)
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

"I think I would feel odd calling and asking what to expect"

I can understand that you feel that way. Most people are uncomfortable around doctors, especially new ones. But you may find the doctor's office staff quite friendly and accommodating. Why not call, you have nothing to loose! (My experience is that the staff of doctor's are generally quite knowledgeable and understanding, and happily answer basic questions as this is part of their job and that people call with simple questions all the time.) The worst thing that could happen is that they say they don't know the answers to your questions and that you will have to wait to see/speak with the doctor.

Good luck!
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Mommy5kids wrote:I am anxiously awaiting my neuro appointment and was wondering if you can give me an idea of what a typical first appointment with a neurologist is like. I have kept a journal of my symptoms and have a copy of my labs and a disc of my MRI. Will there be tests at this appointment? How long does the first appointment usually last?
Expect to be poked and prodded and have your reflexes tested. In addition, they may also want to observe your walking/gait pattern. Sometimes the neuros will do a Romberg test to check your balance. There may be blood draws to run any additional tests. The neurologist may review your MRI with you and they may not. The last neurologist I saw only read the radiologist's report and didn't even look at any of the images. I hope that your doctor does better than that. You can always ask them to show you the aspects of the MRI that were noted in the radiologist's report so that you can see them in the images yourself. Lastly, if you have questions, then be sure to write them down and bring them with you so you don't forget (which is surprisingly easy to do).