My History of MS-related symptoms

This is the place to ask questions if you have symptoms that suggest MS, but aren't yet diagnosed.
MSyborg
Family Member

Re: My History of MS-related symptoms

Post by MSyborg »

dry eyes or dry eye syndrome?
Snoopy
Family Elder

Post by Snoopy »

MSyborg wrote:dry eyes or dry eye syndrome?
Both are due to a lack of moisture. Thinking you have double vision and actually having double vision is two different things. See an Ophthalmologist.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

jimmylegs wrote:brown rice is a key substitution. one of the first nutrient deficiencies ever identified (B1) was associated specifically with white rice consumption.
I have a family member who likes watching travel shows on PBS. On one recent show, the host was visiting Japan and his local guide was waxing poetic about the "special" rice which was meticulously polished until it was translucent!

Absolutely amazing! Rice such as described should be shunned, not held in high esteem! It is a nutritional wasteland!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

pretty crazy. side note: i recently took a closer look at thiamine and was kind of amazed to see that brown rice is not even listed as a decent source on whfoods, although it's mentioned in the text.
glad i eat most of the things on that list on a pretty regular basis! asparagus only in season though. a LOT of it :D

also:

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... cysymptoms
"The risk of dietary deficiency of vitamin B1 in the U.S. is substantial. Nearly 20% of US residents over the age of 2 years fail to reach recommended amounts of dietary vitamin B1 each day.

If that doesn't sound bad enough, the story is actually a bit worse. If it weren't for the "enrichment" of wheat flour in the United States—a process whereby nutrients destroyed by processing are added back into processed wheat—more than half of Americans would fail to reach the DRI standard for vitamin B1. Our U.S. dependence on artificially rich foods as a source of B1 would be greatly reduced if we shifted over to a minimally processed diet based around fresh whole foods.

In a daily diet, if you get at least one serving of legumes and another of seeds, you'll be at least half way to the daily value recommendation for vitamin B1. Adding several servings of vegetables should get you well on your way to the recommended daily total."

i can just imagine all the folks scrapping bread from their diets and not necessarily having the sense they'll need to consciously make an effort to replace the fortified nutrients lost in the process.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.