Teaching a pharmacy who doesn't (but could) to compound LDN

A board to discuss Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
chrisf

Teaching a pharmacy who doesn't (but could) to compound LDN

Post by chrisf »

I don't know if this is a stupid question, or not.

I live close to a local compounding pharmacy who has not compounded LDN but claims they have access to a US national pharmacological resource that provides directions on how they would take the standard dose of Naltrexone to the low-dose weight. I'm not sure who's database they're referring to.

Has anyone dealt with a local pharmacy (US) that has compounded LDN for them as their first customer, and are do you know what additional resources (additionally to being registered pharmacists that operate a compounding pharmacy to begin with) they referred to in order to provide you with a high-quality compound? Or is doing this simply a no-brainer for a qualified pharmacist who does this type of thing and are willing?

Obviously, I can use an existing out-of-state compounding pharmacy that does LDN for a lot of patients. I would prefer to use a local one to avoid shipping charges, etc. I hate to have to learn about how a pharmacist has to go about doing their job, but if I go down the path of having a qualified local pharmacy do it, I want to have confidence in what I'm getting.

Any thoughts?
SammyJo
Family Elder

This should get them started

Post by SammyJo »

JoyceF
Family Elder

My first compounder...

Post by JoyceF »

Hi Chris...obviously we cannot say with any certainty that any compounder is better then another. I now choose to buy from a compounder that has years of LDN experience under his belt, Skip's in Florida. My first compounder was a local one that my doctor had experience with. Not sure about it because after about 6 months of LDN use, I started to slip again so I reported this to an online group and was promptly told to switch compounders since I was probably the only one that was having my LDN compounded by this local pharmacy. I was also advised to try and up my dose from the 3mg that I was taking to 4.5mg. That was about 18 months and all is well so I can only assume that there was a possibility that the LDN may not have been compounded just right...will never know of course but I strongly suspect that the compounding was a big factor. I only pay about $40.00 for a 90 supply of it plus about $4.50 for shipping. Well worth it to me to know that I am getting the best I can get. Good luck.
SammyJo
Family Elder

Post by SammyJo »

Skip's Pharmacy http://skipspharmacy.com/
21000 Boca Rio Rd, Suite A-11
Boca Raton, Florida
800-553-7429
Fax: 561-218-8873
CCmom
Volunteer Moderator

Post by CCmom »

Out of 6 months of researching LDN before allowing my son to start using it, I have been told over and over again on the 3 message boards that I utilize that it is extremely important to use a compounding pharmacy that has a good reputation for compounding LDN properly. (We also use Skip's) I've seen way too many postings about filler problems and compounding problems for so many different people. Skip was really helpful to me when I started this quest for information, so I felt a bit of an "allegiance" to him when we finally got the script in our hands!

I have a friend who used the same doctor we did for her phone consultation. When he recommended the pharmacy there in his building to her, she agreed. She received her LDN with calcium carbonate filler, and immediately began producing calcium kidney stones, much to her dismay. In saying this, I am also warning you to take the filler used into consideration, as well. While calcium carbonate might not be a problem for some, it was for her. She is now awaiting a script from Skip's, which is the pharmacy she wishes she had used to start with!

Good luck!

Kim
Kim R.