all things vitamin D

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: all things vitamin D

Post by NHE »

Hi Jaded,
Jaded wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:11 amAre there any alternatives?
One of the books I read some time ago offered a solution. It was either...

1. Overdosed America, the Broken Promise of American Medicine by Dr. John Abramson.

viewtopic.php?p=14166#p14166 and

http://www.overdosedamerica.com/?m=0

or

2. Selling Sickness by Ray Moynihan and Alan Cassels

viewtopic.php?t=2131

Unfortunately, it's been so long since I've read these books that I don't remember the exact recommendation. It's also possible that it was a different book.

At this time, I would say the following. Bones are living organs of the body. They are not just simple scaffolding. As such, bones respond to stress or the lack thereof. This can be problematic for astronauts that spend time in microgravity on the space station. Their bones become weak and decalcified. Conversely, increased physical stress will lead to bones responding with increased strength and density. I would recommend exercise that increases physical stress. This would rule out aerobic exercise such as using an exercise bike (although aerobic exercise has its own benefits, bone stress isn't a leading characteristic).
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thanks NHE

I have incorporated additional things like plyometrics (jumps) and strength training (weight machines). I probably need to do the plyometrics more often

I hope this helps prevent further deterioration. According to current medical literature the medication is the only way of strengthening the bone when osteoporosis has occurred

I am just the other side of the range but still pretty clueless.

It feels overwhelming at times. Something I am sure most of you can relate to :(
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

I recall watching a video of Michelle Obama jumping rope to stay fit. Have you ever tried that?
Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Ah it was something I wanted to try.....I'll have to give it a go. Thanks :)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

NHE wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 7:56 pm I recall watching a video of Michelle Obama jumping rope to stay fit. Have you ever tried that?
Here's one...

Jaded
Family Elder

Post by Jaded »

Thanks NHE - she's good!