Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
DIM
Family Elder

Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic

Post by DIM »

Saccharomyces boulardii supplement may benefit inflammatory markers, oxidative stress indicators, pain, fatigue, and quality of life in MS patients!

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37903945/

Free full text.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic

Post by ElliotB »

Thanks for posting this.

I have been taking high potency premium probiotics totaling hundreds of billions CFU daily for years, and feel they are extremely important for good health. I had never heard of Saccharomyces boulardii. I am definitely going to start taking this one immediately. Ordering some tonight.

I take a lot of supplements and I just discovered that one of them that I have been taking for years contains Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic but the amount is not listed - it is probably not a large amount.
Last edited by ElliotB on Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

It is cheap probiotic as the Lactiplantibaccilus Plantarum, sold locally with the name Ultra Levure.
I ordered them both for my wife along with L. Tryptophane (for Indol-3-Lactate)
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Here's a good example with 5 billion CFUs.

Saccharomyces boulardii
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

This is the Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic I just ordered and received.

200 billion CFU, priced right at $24 - an exceptional value.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CLKF5NWP

Keep in mind while billions of anything sounds like a lot, the population of bacteria in the gut is in the multiple trillions. So, if you want a substantial probiotic supplement, it needs to be most importantly a premium supplement, meaning the strains of probiotics in it have been proven to be of importance to gut health - there are many, many choices when it comes to probiotic strains and potency. In addition, there should be a significant amount of the probiotic per serving.

The best 'standard' probiotics must be refrigerated in order for them to maintain their full potency and are shipped with ice packs to preserve their CFU count. There are only a few companies that actually do this. While I take numerous probiotic supplements, only one needs to be refrigerated, and it has 112 billion CFU per capsule, I take two per day and have been for years.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:23 am Keep in mind while billions of anything sounds like a lot, the population of bacteria in the gut is in the multiple trillions.
Just for clarity, Saccharomyces boulardii is a yeast. The study posted used a S. boulardii supplement with just 1010 CFUs. In addition, I read a paper some time ago that stated that every gram of material in the colon contains a trillion bacteria consisting of 1000 different species.
Mazmanian et al. wrote:By young adulthood, humans and other mammals are host to ~1012 viable bacteria per gram of colonic content, consisting of 500–1000 microbial species and outnumbering host cells by 100-fold.
Lastly, there was a BBC show called "Trust Me, I'm a Doctor" that demonstrated that eating oats every day provided the fiber to increase the GI's beneficial bacterial count. Perhaps oats combined with a good probiotic would increase the benefits obtained.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

ElliotB wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:23 am This is the Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic I just ordered and received.

Some of the reviews aren't so good.
I bought these to make fermented probiotic apple juice. After 48 hours there is zero fermentation. Either these are dead or they have no s boulardii in them. 0 stars
The product gives a US address for the Company, but is "Produced for Trehealtt." Here are some examples of text from the package an bottle: "Do Not Need Refrigeration". "Not Contains: Wheat Gluten . . ."
Interesting how all the other more expensive higher-end brands selling Saccharomyces Boulardii all have 5-10 Billion CFUs, while this is the ONLY one with a whopping 200 Billion BFUs. I agree with the other 1-star review -These are not active.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

ElliotB wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:23 am This is the Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic I just ordered and received.

Keep in mind while billions of anything sounds like a lot, the population of bacteria in the gut is in the multiple trillions. So, if you want a substantial probiotic supplement, it needs to be most importantly a premium supplement, meaning the strains of probiotics in it have been proven to be of importance to gut health - there are many, many choices when it comes to probiotic strains and potency. In addition, there should be a significant amount of the probiotic per serving.

The best 'standard' probiotics must be refrigerated in order for them to maintain their full potency and are shipped with ice packs to preserve their CFU count. There are only a few companies that actually do this. While I take numerous probiotic supplements, only one needs to be refrigerated, and it has 112 billion CFU per capsule, I take two per day and have been for years.
I give to my wife daily 5 caps X 100 billion - 14 different strains refrigerated medicinal probiotic, but Saccharomyces boulardii doesn't need refrigerator, it survives stomach acids, high temps and antibiotics as it is more like yeast spores rather probiotic.
The reason I am going to buy it again from medicinal source is what NHE mentions above although I ordered the Lactobacillus Plantarum from Swanson, I think it is reliable company.
Either way my belief is that probiotics are a medicine for people with compromised immune system and MSers.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

probiotics are a medicine for people with compromised immune system and MSers
You are absolutely correct!

And ultimately, they are really a 'medicine' for everyone!

There are many so many excellent and delicious sources of probiotics that anyone can easily add to their diet(aside from commercially produced ones). Aside from supplements, I consume delicious fermented foods which are high in probiotics such as naturally fermented pickles, sauerkraut, onions, garlic and beets to name a few. I also drink fermented beverages such as kefir - I make all of these myself. I even consume Nutritional Yeast which, like the Saccharomyces boulardii probiotic, is a highly healthy fermented yeast product (not to be confused with Brewer's Yeast which you should not consume).

Fortunately, fermented foods are commercially available as well and because of their popularity are very reasonably priced for those that don't want to prepare them at home.

Return to “General Discussion”