DrSclafani answers some questions

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
newlywed4ever
Family Elder

Post by newlywed4ever »

And Holly must be working overtime since I rec'd an email and she's posted on this site - both of which were way past 5:00 EST. Gotta love the devotion from that office!
bestadmom
Family Elder

Post by bestadmom »

I've received emails from Holly at 1:30 am. She needs a little vacation.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drsclafani
Family Elder

Post by drsclafani »

drsclafani wrote:
Quote:
Dr. S-

The docs in Poland discovered 95% of their MS patients had ccsvi stenosis. Was your experience similar with the folks you've treated?

no. It has been 100%. But i am sure someone will be normal sometime

Dear drsclafani
Not to put you on the spot but this is hitting on the crux of the biscuit.....how confident are you that "normal" doesn't also include venous stenosis?

Of course the natural assumption is that venous stenosis isn't a common factor in the general public and Zamboni (unconvincingly-without adequate testing) showed little or no stenosis in his controls, Buffalo showed higher rates but less than MS, also not utilizing adequate testing.

I'm not going to use this guy Twisted Evil because I don't feel that way, but honestly, considering that the most conclusive test of venous obstruction is catheter venogram and that has yet to be used on a control, how can it convincingly be considered that "normal" is synonymous with lack of stenosis?

I'm still on the Sclafani bandwagon....if you make this convincing Laughing
lyon, i see that you enjoy the debate, but its not a game

to answer your question, my control has included about 100 carotid arteriograms per year done to evaluate intracranial aneurysms and trauma of the neck. The venous phase of those ARTERIOGRAMS show me the jugular vein. working for 38 years , i guess that is ober 3,000 arteriograms on otherwise normal people without MS, (my general patient population is young healthy african american males). I never see the slow flow, the narrowings, that i see on the VENOGRAMS of caucasian MS patients. That is my control.

Unfortunately most of those arteriograms were cut film studies done over the first thirty years of my practice when CTA was used most of the time for aneurysms and penetrating neck trauma was reduced by the dramatic reduction in violence in New York since the year 2000.

Not a randomized study. so you win lyon.

nonetheless i am confident in my assessment.
hwebb
Family Elder

nicely said.

Post by hwebb »

nicely said.
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mshusband
Family Elder

Post by mshusband »

On the bandwagon of Dr. Sclafani officially now Lyon?
bestadmom
Family Elder

Post by bestadmom »

Dr. Sclafani,

You rock!

Ang
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

drsclafani wrote: working for 38 years , i guess that is ober 3,000 arteriograms on otherwise normal people without MS, (my general patient population is young healthy african american males). I never see the slow flow, the narrowings, that i see on the VENOGRAMS of caucasian MS patients.
You had said early on that you had not seen these sorts of twisted malformations before...I had not known for sure what that meant exactly or how often you were up in the neck looking...this answers that question and then some.
Lyon wrote:As you mentioned this isn't a game so any winning doesn't come that easily.
I think it was his sarcasm showing again when he said you win.... :) But seriously Lyon welcome aboard....
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
MrSuccess
Family Elder

Post by MrSuccess »

nothing changes with dear old Bob :roll:

Mr. Success
costumenastional
Family Elder

Post by costumenastional »

drsclafani wrote:
Dr. S-

The docs in Poland discovered 95% of their MS patients had ccsvi stenosis. Was your experience similar with the folks you've treated?
no. It has been 100%. But i am sure someone will be normal sometime
HAHAHA I wouldnt bet on that my dear doctor...
Zeureka
Family Elder

Post by Zeureka »

Dear Dr Sclafani,
I know stent issue was already discussed, but lost a bit the overview to follow on all the answers...Hope my questions are not too repetitive:

1. Is it true that in a few months(?)/years(?) - how long do you think it will take? - new specific vein stents will be developed and placed on the market?

2. What is the advantage/difference of these stents compared to the currently applied nitinol stents? Is there really any advantage/big difference at all?

3. Basically could it be worthwile for the moment to go only for angioplasty (with risk of restenosis) and wait for these new vein stents or will those not change much in terms of potential risk/advantages - the risk and advantage mainly remaining in the same range? So might some of these news of new stents to be developed for veins be only a marketing issue?

4. Is it generally difficult/or even impossible to replace stents later on, or depends on where the stent is placed? eg in internal jugular close to junction of brachiocephalic vein could be problematic to replace? other areas easier to remove and replace?

Thanks a lot for your views on this!
Mutley
Family Elder

Post by Mutley »

drsclafani wrote: I have been thinking about how to harness the energy and experience of patients on this site. I have fantasized about creating research measurement tools to learn about the subjective experiences after liberation. Imagine capturing the data and partnering on such a project.

what do you think?
Count me in, I'd love to help!
Mutley goes to Poland 1st symptom was Optic Neuritis in 1998, DX RRMS Jan 2001, DX SPMS 2007. Last EDSS by doctor 7.5
Zeureka
Family Elder

Post by Zeureka »

Mutley wrote:
drsclafani wrote: I have been thinking about how to harness the energy and experience of patients on this site. I have fantasized about creating research measurement tools to learn about the subjective experiences after liberation. Imagine capturing the data and partnering on such a project.

what do you think?
Count me in, I'd love to help!
Oh, doc, great idea, I guess many of us would! Standard criteria and research measurement tools assisting interventionists in developing comparable observational studies on CCSVI across the world would be great! Such observational studies could then support the direction of results from clinical trial work, I guess!
bretzke
Family Member

Post by bretzke »

Many U.S. health insurance companies cover MRV and ultrasound tests for CCSVI. If CCSVI is confirmed through this testing, will these same insurance companies cover the Liberation treatment if it follows an IRB?

The costs to insurance companies for current MS drugs is staggering. Even if the Liberation procedure was required every 18 months to address restenosis, it would still be less expensive to an insurance company than current drug treatments.

Are insurance companies following CCSVI developments? I know Big Pharma is and they don't like it!