do we vote Liberal?

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
jackiejay
Family Elder

do we vote Liberal?

Post by jackiejay »

if there is an election (?) do we support the Liberals ...(gag)...never done that but whatever works....can the federal government dictate health care policy? ...could each individual province still have the power to deny treatment?
thornyrose76
Family Elder

Post by thornyrose76 »

Ignatieff supports funding clinical trials, so yes vote Liberal!
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

I am not Canadian but I believe Liberal is the CCSVI-supporting choice. And if anyone ever has the opportunity to vote for Kirsty Duncan, don't let that opportunity get away.
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

Cece wrote:I am not Canadian but I believe Liberal is the CCSVI-supporting choice. And if anyone ever has the opportunity to vote for Kirsty Duncan, don't let that opportunity get away.
As usual ..correct!!

I am a Canadian. A Liberal vote is the only way to win us a Prime Minister/ Party carrying promises of clinical trials. a desperately needed Ministry of Health shake up and most important.. support of the governing party for Kirsty Duncan.
Dare to dream.."The Honourable Kirsty Duncan ~ Minister of Health Canada"
hope410
Family Elder

Post by hope410 »

Cece wrote:I am not Canadian but I believe Liberal is the CCSVI-supporting choice. And if anyone ever has the opportunity to vote for Kirsty Duncan, don't let that opportunity get away.
The Federal NDP is also pro-CCSVI testing and treatment (Megan Leslie, NDP Health critic). They have a strong health platform too, if that is what sways your vote. They also don't have the baggage of the Liberals from their last stint in power.

BTW, Kirsty can continue on as an MP regardless of whether the Liberals win the election so long as her constituents vote her in. I know Canadians understand that but which makes it difficult for many Americans unfamiliar with our system to chime in.
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

hope410 wrote:The Federal NDP is also pro-CCSVI testing and treatment. They have a strong health platform too.

If we continue to split this vote the Conservatives will remain in power.
hope410 wrote:BTW, Kirsty can continue on as an MP regardless of whether the Liberals win the election...
Yes, but as part of the governing party she could focus more on progress and less on being 'heard'.
hope410
Family Elder

Post by hope410 »

I don't think it prudent to place my vote solely on CCSVI issues, there are a lot of far greater issues facing our country, especially when research IS progressing and treatment IS available in the US.

I'm not sure if Ignatief, having spent so many, many years outside of Canada, is properly qualified to lead this country. I would feel more comfortable with someone who has been actively involved in Canadian life and culture and politics as opposed to someone who spent much of his career working abroad.

I think the Liberals chose poorly in their choice of a leader, and he has not given me any confidence that he is "the man" to rehabilitate the Liberals from their screw-ups the last time they led our country. He hasn't inspired my return to Liberal loyalty. And I won't vote Liberal simply to avoid splitting the vote. I prefer to vote my conscience and encourage others to as well.
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

hope410 wrote:I prefer to vote my conscience and encourage others to as well.
Hope.. I agree!!! and as a Canadian my vote will be cast for the candidate in my local riding I feel best equipped to represent my community's needs. I will hope that this candidate wins my riding and will sit in parliament as a member of the governing, preferably majority, party.
I understand that I am not voting for a 'prime minister'. I am not voting to punish the past. I am voting for the future.
hope410
Family Elder

Post by hope410 »

PCakes wrote:
hope410 wrote:I prefer to vote my conscience and encourage others to as well.
Hope.. I agree!!! and as a Canadian my vote will be cast for the candidate in my local riding I feel best equipped to represent my community's needs. I will hope that this candidate wins my riding and will sit in parliament as a member of the governing, preferably majority, party.
I understand that I am not voting for a 'prime minister'. I am not voting to punish the past. I am voting for the future.
I tend not to consider so narrowly how my own representative might benefit my local community's needs and am more swayed by how a party can benefit the country as a whole by their platform.

I think that's why Federal politics becomes difficult, since Ontario and Quebec hold the majority of the power and BC tends to get ignored when political promises are being made and acted upon. That's why I tend to consider the country's needs and how I think they can best be met rather than any particular local politician's attributes or personality or promises of how they can benefit my local area, I want the entire country to prosper by the best agenda and plan.
Blaze
Family Elder

Post by Blaze »

The Liberals may be our best hope, but I'm skeptical of all of them. The Liberals in Ontario have been just as cold and dismissive of CCSVI as the Conservatives are federally and in other provinces. Have Liberals in B.C. done anything?!?

Malcolm Allen, NDP MP from Welland has just joined the rallying cry. Here is a link to some information.

http://niagaraatlarge.com/2011/03/22/ni ... arliament/

Malcolm Allen presented a petition calling for treatment in Canada. He raises some excellent points. He says not proceeding with a pilot project is "discriminatory." He also says "We ought to start the project not yesterday, but last week. Let us get on with it."

Yet, the NDP in Nova Scotia hasn't done anything for our cause. Bill Peart's recent death is a perfect example of that.

How can we trust any of them, except perhaps Dr. Kirsty Duncan?!?
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

Blaze wrote:How can we trust any of them, except perhaps Dr. Kirsty Duncan?!?
Is there a list of MP's who attended any of Dr. Duncan's sessions?
Blaze
Family Elder

Re: do we vote Liberal?

Post by Blaze »

jackiejay wrote:
...could each individual province still have the power to deny treatment?
As things stand now, I believe they could. That is why Angioplasty for All is planning a Charter Challenge.

I think our biggest barriers are actually College of Physicians and Surgeons and MS Society. As long as the College does not recognize CCSVi and will not allow doctors to treat us, our battles with governments may be for naught.

MS Canada wrote to all MPPs last year advising them NOT to fund treatment. Until they are prepared to become true advocates for us, I think we may be doomed.

I'm sorry to sound so negative, but this has dragged on way too long!
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/fu ... mber=51377

Carol Hughes NDP ~ Algoma-Manitoulin-Kapuskasing
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

You can trust Kirsty Duncan. I will not say anything against the NDP member who has suddenly discovered this issue in the newspaper. I do not have to worry about voting my conscience, since the guy in my riding is a Conservative (never did feel comfy with their use of that party's name, or the English word, for that matter). It is difficult in Canada if your conscience does go against your hopes, but those are the cards we are dealt. If anyone thinks it is more important for instance, to support them because their budget included a large amount for neurological diseases, I guess that is a reason. Neurologists will decide whether it is worth spending any of that on CCSVI, or 'MS', right?

However, one has to look at past performance to a certain extent. I can remember when the old Progressive Conservatives used to complain about the current deficit the Liberals were running, which now seems small in comparison to the present one created by Harper.

If you are concerned at all about CCSVI, there have to be some hefty reasons to support Harper, that do not include it. By his, and his Health Minister's continuing support for the MS society (who lean very heavily, in turn, on neurologists), he has show that he has no interest in MS patients.

I know science takes time, but to spend all that money on studies which have as their basis an unreasonable distrust for the work of many, and do nothing to find out new information, and then to turn around and blackmail the taxpayers by saying they will only support testing if they give them the $10 million?

Support for causes is one thing, but to say that they will not even be interested in CCSVI unless someone else is paying for it, and to deliberately obstruct a national testing strategy and the people who want to raise funds for it, smells to me like an agenda against MS patients, not work to help them.

I think it is not only a good idea to support the Liberals, but it is a suicidal one to support Harper.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Doodles
Family Member

Post by Doodles »

I think MS sufferers in Canada should take a very careful look at the MPs who have supported us regardless of party affiliation. MS sufferers are being discriminated against and if we allow that discrimination to continue with us who is next? This is not just an argument about MS sufferers, it is an argument about discrimination, about the violation of basic human rights and that transcends MS sufferers. We are the target now but I ask again, who will be next if we don't win our battle?

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”