Cheerleader's Regimen for her Husband

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Cheerleader's Regimen for her Husband

Post by cheerleader »

Welp.I thought it was time to put down all the supplement info I’ve compiled into one place. Warning: this will be long, but hopefully of help to others.

Here’s our story. It’s been almost a year since my darling 43 year old husband told me he felt really lousy. Numbness and tingling up and down his left side, sore legs, painful feet. Strange urgent bladder issues. One day, we went for our usual walk with the dog, and he was limping. We turned around and went home.

I figured it was a pinched nerve, and put him in our hot tub spa. You can guess what happened. Heat exacerbated his symptoms, he felt horrible. Three weeks, several massages, more time in the hot tub, stretching and praying, and he finally went to the doctor. My husband rarely saw the doctor...he was never sick, and was able to deal with most colds, flues and pains on his own. Not this time.

The doc ordered the MRI...and within hours we were sitting in her office getting the MS diagnosis. We were in shock, but committed to face this together. She sent us to a neurologist who confirmed it all with a lumbar puncture. He had over 20 lesions on brain and one on cervical spine, a few were enhancing. His neuro was amazed that this was the first time he’d had a flare...since he’d apparently had MS for awhile. I am thankful the hot tub got him to see a doctor. My husband had IV steroids and taper, and the numbness, tingling and sore feet were gone. He was left with painful leg spasms, major fatigue, and occasional bladder issues. These are still an issue, but we’re finding ways to help him.

Meds: Hubby’s on Copaxone, Provigil for fatigue, baclofen at night for spasms. He was previously on Effexor for depression and anxiety (we think this was the beginning sign of his MS) and this prescription was upped from 75mg to 150mg.

Thank God, he is doing well. He hasn’t had any progression in disability or relapse since his original attack. He hates the fatigue, but the Provigil has helped. Jimmylegs suggested I find a magnesium supplement to help him sleep thru his spasms.

Some background on me- I’m a true believer in better health thru diet and exercise. When my five year old son was diagnosed ADHD, I refused the ritalin prescriptions and gave him Omega 3 oil and flaxseed. Within weeks, he was a happier, calmer and more focused child. Now 13, he is an honor student and wonderful kid. I personally have healed from bulging disks and bone spurs in my neck with MSM, omega 3, yoga and chiropractic care. When the doc said I needed surgery, I got serious about my health. Now my hubby’s serious, too.

I began a quest to make my husband healthy. Not that I can "cure" his MS, but I can help his immune system fight this crazy disease. And maybe, just maybe, he can heal himself. Our faith has been essential in this journey, and we both believe in miracles. I know my husband’s attitude has helped immensely.

When we first saw the neurologist, I noticed under the fluorescent lighting my husband looked yellow...he was jaundiced! His liver enzymes came back 10x higher than normal. The neurologist assumed it was alcohol...but hubby doesn’t drink. I got milk thistle, and the enzymes resolved themselves in a month. The neuro was incredulous, but I knew that my husband’s entire body was toxic. I’ve since read that high liver enzymes are common in Msers, even before interferon treatment. My husband needed a detox program. This included liver cleansing, probiotics and healing his digestive system. He’s now a “regular” guy (movements everyday) and is no longer toxic looking.

What follows are the nutritional supplements my husband takes everyday. He takes his meds in the morning, and his supplements at dinner time. I make him up a baggy packet, so that he can take these on business trips, or out to dinner. I order them from an on line vitamin company. This site and others have been hugely helpful. I also spoke with holistic doctors and my local natural health store buddy. His neurologist has recommended some, as well, and she’s looked over this list and approved for my husband.

alpha lipoic acid 600 mg. -(anti oxidant)
Co-Q 10 200 mg. -(energy enhancing nutrient)
DHEA 50 mg.- (hormone secreted by adrenal gland)
N-acetyl cysteine 1200 mg. (antioxidant, cell detoxifier)
vitamin D-3 2,000 iu- we all know about D!
b-12 sublingual 2000mcg- (husband had low levels, but we’ve recently lowered his dosage, since his serum levels are high now)
inosine 1 mg -(raises uric acid levels, peroxynitrite scavenger -husband had low levels, now normal)
cod liver oil 2,200mg.
DHA 600mg. omega 3
DHA plant source microalgea 200mg.
Flaxseed oil 1000 mg
longevatrol polyphenol complex 200mg. (red wine polyphenol-antioxidant)
Alive! multivitamin - ( mega green nutrients)
milk thistle 600mg. (liver cleansing)
garlic 540 mg.- (antifungal, helps digestive issues)
ginkgold 60 mg. - (brain function)
curcumin 500 mg- (brain function).
wild blueberry oomplex 1400 mg. -(anti-inflammatory, antioxidant)
Jarro-dophilus probiotic 2 capsules daily
MSM 1,000 mg -organo-sulfer, helps muscle spasms

evenings before sleep-
Natural Calm magnesium- 600mg.
(calms spasms and aids regularity)

Diet changes:
Our whole family has benefitted from “Dad’s MS diet”- a modified-Swank diet.
We now eat organic and low fat. No processed foods. No artificial sweeteners. No red meat. Less dairy (still some cheese or mayo) No white flour or sugar (except the holidays were less restricted) More fish, whole grains, legumes and beans. Snacks of walnut and blueberries (both anti-inflammatory) and iced green tea.

Husband has lost a couple pounds, and moved the belt one notch over. My weight’s the same, but I feel healthier. My son complains some days, but he’s usually happy with our meals, and he still gets snacks, ice cream, etc. on his own. C’mon! He’s a teenager :)

All in all, I feel good about my husband’s prognosis. I know that we are only in the beginning of this journey, but we’ll continue to battle his MS on all fronts. I’ll update after MRI in March and next neuro apt.

Best,
the Aging Cheerleader
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Cheerleader's regimen for her husband

Post by NHE »

Hi Cheerleader,
Thanks for sharing the regimen that you've developed for your husband. It's also great to hear about the success you had treating your son's ADHD diagnosis with omega-3 oils. When I was about 7 or 8 I received a hyperactivity diagnosis and was put on ritalin. Although I don't remember much from that time period, I've been told that that drug really messed me up when I was on it.

Anyways, I had some questions regarding the regimen you posted.
alpha lipoic acid 600 mg. -(anti oxidant)
Are you taking R-lipoic acid or regular alpha lipoic acid? You may be interested in reading one of my posts where I discussed an article which reviews some of the different physiological effects of R and S lipoic acid. Lipoic Acid: R vs. S

I have also read that lipoic acid dosages higher than 100 mg/day can deplete the body's stores of biotin. Some lipoic acid formulations actually include some extra biotin to counter this effect. I didn't see biotin explicitly listed in your list. Does one of the other supplements contain it?
cod liver oil 2,200mg
My experience has been that cod liver oil contains quite a bit of vitamin A. I've read that the upper limit for vitamin A should be around 2500 IU/day. The brand of cod liver oil I used to take contained 1250 IU/500 mg. If your husband's cod liver oil contains a similar amount then he's getting 5500 IU of vitamin A per day. It might be something that you want to look into. I actually switched over to taking a higher dosage vitamin D3 supplement and bumped up my omega-3 fish oil intake to substitute for the cod liver oil I was taking.
garlic 540 mg.- (antifungal, helps digestive issues)
I used to eat lots of fresh garlic, around a clove per day and sometimes much more when I would get one of my favorite pizzas. However, I gave up garlic since I've read that it enhances the activity of cytotoxic T lymphocytes (indeed, one of my sister's whose into naturaphathic treatments uses raw garlic with her kids whenever they get a cold). I now use it much less frequently if it all and more like a spice instead of a food item. I've also been told that I smell different/better than I used to which is probably a good thing! :wink:

NHE
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Thanks, NHE-
I appreciate you taking the time to respond, and your time, research and experiences. We're new to all this, but learning everyday.

re: Vitamin A. You're right, he's getting too much. Will back off on the cod liver oil. He's getting plenty of omega 3 and DHA now.

He gets 300 mg of biotin in a multi- but I will look into the alpha lipoic acid differences. That was recommended by his neuro, and she did not specify R vs. S. The label does not specify.

As far as the garlic, my husband has always had stomach virus issues, many bouts of food poisoning, leaky gut and malabsorption. Didn't put it together until his MS diagnosis. We think his digestive system was the area that needed most detox and healing. The garlic is a natural anti-viral. We're weren't concerned with any immune modifying issues for his CNS, although now that many of his gut issues are resolved, we can probably back off the garlic, too. But he always smelled good to me :)

Thanks again,
AC
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hallo, cheer, when you posted on the vitamin D thread, i knew your hubby had recently added some bedtime magnesium.

just wanted to clarify whether he gets a sep dose of calcium magnesium and zinc with his 2000 IU D3.

potentially could benefit from more supplementary zinc also away from the D3, if there's a leaky gut scenario.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Thanks, Jimmylegs-
will look into zinc.
appreciate the supplement support!
AC
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

ya no worries :) maybe have a think about calcium too, that and mg and zinc = important both in their own right, and to facilitate processing of the d.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Update: 3/08

One year MRI. No new lesions, none enhancing. (same 20 spots in brain, one on cervical spine.) Neurologist states clinically isolated syndrome, not definitive MS, but we will continue treating as MS with Copaxone and supplements.

Husband continues to take provigil for fatigue, one baclofen at night for spasms, and effexor for anxiety and depression. He is sleeping well, exercising and working. Slight cognitive issues (name recall, stuttering)

We've added GliSODin (500mg daily) to the supplement mix, to enhance antioxidants.

All labs came back normal...high liver enzymes resolved, nutritional deficits all better.

pom poms up!
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Hi Cheerleader,

I loved Glisodin so much that I took up to 4 times the recommended amount for about a month but this triggered a relapse so don't do what I did!!!
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

none enhancing. (same 20 spots in brain, one on cervical spine.) Neurologist states clinically isolated syndrome, not definitive MS
Hi Cheerleader, your neuro sugested CIS but your husband(name?) has these spots on his brain and spine so they were caused by ms but it has stopped now(remission) So your neuro thinks this maybe the end of it but just keep on with the treatment in case it is why the ms is in remission.But then he says it's not definitive ms but what does he/she think could have caused these spots?
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hey Robbie...

Jeff (husband) is in a wacky MS category. He presented with lots of lesions but has had only one flare. The official category is Clinically Isolated Syndrome (probably so US insurance companies wouldn't have to pay for his meds) but his neurologist dx him as MS so he could get insurance coverage. She says she believes he has MS based on location of lesions and his lumbar puncture showing bands, and this is why she started him on Copaxone.

I think the CIS diagnosis is more about $ than medicine...at least in the US.

We're staying the course on his treatment.

GG...maybe just try 500mg of GliSODin ? :)
Hope your relapse has calmed down, and you're on the mend!

best,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Just 500mg? Pah! :lol: Actually the relapse has revived my interest in the viral cause of MS since if you have an acute infection of Epstein Barr then you can develop autoantibodies to superoxide dismutase which might explain why people with ms have virtually no superoxide dismutase in their cerebro-spinal fluid. I can send you research on this if you like but it's in pdf format which I paid for so can't post it on the web. Anyhow I really liked the glisodin initially especially it's smell so I think my body is craving it but am going to spend some time on anti-virals first.
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
robbie
Family Elder

Post by robbie »

Hi Cheerleader, i don't have relapses anymore. Not really sure what i have other than ms and all that comes with it, i went for years after my ON which is what prompted my diagnoses so maybe Jeff will have the same luck.
Had ms for 28 yrs,
8.5 EDSS
SPMS, 54 yrs old
Taking it day by day
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

yeah, Robbie-
Have no idea where Jeff's MS journey is headed. His neuro told us "do everything now- don't put things off." We live for the day. It's really impossible to guess the future, for any of us. Only time will tell...

like I've said on the boards recently...I lost my 40 yr. old brother last year (stroke while on his motorcycle.) We're not taking anything for granted.

best,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
missvicki
Family Member

Post by missvicki »

AC, I was touched by your post. You are obviously a very caring and devoted wife and mother. I am also interested in your husband's vitamin protocol. One question, tho....with so many supplements, isn't it quite expensive?
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hi Vicki...
Waiting for you to win the powerball today :)

You're right, the regimen for my husband is expensive. About $50-75 a month for additional supplements. Eating organic costs more, too. I suppose we eat out less, and spend more time at home, so it sort of balances out.

To be honest, I'd spend all our savings to help him feel OK.

We're really blessed that my health insurance pays for meds. I really feel for MS folks who don't have insurance. That's something we need to take care of in the states!
best,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07

Return to “Regimens”