Inclined Bed Therapy

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Inclined Bed Therapy

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

I have inclined my bed couple of days ago.
It is 16 cm higher (only that part under my head). The piece of wood is on a floor.
I have also tried it with pillows because I was not patient enough. It was really bad idea. Do not do it!

I should start to feel some positive changes after 4 weeks.
So far I can only tell you for sure that I do not wake up with headache as I did before.. Of course, I have headache during the day, but at least I do not wake up with that!
Only the very first hour was a little bit strange to me. After that it was just perfect. You remember I was in Poland couple of days ago. That was a problem because I felt I sleep with my head down. I woke up with headache.
So at least I have nice mornings.
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
- Jan. 19, 11: control venography in Katowice - negative but I feel worse
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Blog Poll asking whether or not I.T. should be tested

Post by AndrewKFletcher »

New Forum for posting your experiences using Inclined Bed Therapy Please keep a journal using the template in the forum:
http://www.andrewkfletcher.com/index.ph ... &Itemid=30

Video showing hows dissolved salts and minerals in the blood affect the pressure and tension in the blood and relate to postural changes that have already been shown to open and close veins, even diverting the flow of blood from one vein to another.

Thanks for sharing your experience using Inclined Therapy Erika

Look forward to reading more about your observations in due course.

Andrew

More information and the reports of people trying Inclined Therapy can be found here:

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopic-6755-135 ... mage16.gif[/img]
15cm (6ins) block------------------------- 7.5cm (3ins) block----------------- Castors off bottom
Last edited by AndrewKFletcher on Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

I am still very happy with my inclined bed. I still wake up without headache - it was not like that before. I really do not have any problems with that. I always think of it in the morning. I would swear, my bed is flat but it is not. I do not feel it in the morning at all. I can only see it in the evening while watching TV.
I would not change it to flat again.
Erika
Aug. 7, 09 Doppler Ultras. in Poland, left Jugul. valve problem, RRMS since 1996, now SPMS,
- Nov.3,09: one stent in the left jug. vein in Katowice, Poland, LDN, never on DMDs
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

Well, I spent 4 nights in Poland.
I slept on normal bed and the headaches in the morning were back. I slept the first night at home. I woke up without the headache. I missed my inclined bed in Poland a lot. I will certainly keep it like this.
Erika
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Read about your stent surgery on the forum.

Improvements from now on will probably be atributed to the surgery but watch closely and see if your improvements over the months are different to others sleeping flat who have had the same surgery.

Could prove very interesting.

Andrew
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

AndrewKFletcher wrote:Read about your stent surgery on the forum.

Improvements from now on will probably be atributed to the surgery but watch closely and see if your improvements over the months are different to others sleeping flat who have had the same surgery.

Could prove very interesting.

Andrew
I still prefere to have it inclined. I am 100% sure I do not have headache in the morning because of that.
Yes, I will not be able to say anymore, if I feel better thanks to my stent or thanks to the bed. I also started my LDN again.
I try to help myself as much as I can.
Erika
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Re: Inclined Bed Therapy

ErikaSlovakia wrote:I have inclined my bed couple of days ago.
It is 16 cm higher (only that part under my head). The piece of wood is on a floor.
I have also tried it with pillows because I was not patient enough. It was really bad idea. Do not do it!

I should start to feel some positive changes after 4 weeks.

Erika
Hi Erika
Your recent sight improvements are not unlike the reports from many other people with ms using the inclined bed method.

Have others who have received stents reported similar improvements who do not sleep inclined?

In another thread long before you tilted your bed and long before your surgery, I mentioned the dramatic improvements in two ladies with supposedly irreversible optic nerve damage.

Could be a coincidence but I doubt it.

Best

Andrew
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

I tilted my bed on Oct. 19.
Later I spent 2 nights in Poland (because of my first MRV). I had my procedure 15 days later.
I do not remember anybody mentioning better vision after the procedure, so I am not sure.
I will keep my bed inclined as I am sure I do/did not have the "good morning headache" only because of it.

I still see the texts (letters) bad as before. I notice my better vision only when I look somewhere far like the street.

Erika
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

I removed the piece of wood last night - it means I slept the first night without it.
I woke up with headache but in my forehead - it is my good morning headache as I call it. I have not had nausea but I ate my breakfast very late.
Around noon I took half of the pill against headache. After I had only light headache, now I have again middle headache - simular to that in the morning - I took the second half of the pill.
I do not know if it is correct way to describe the morning headache in English, but the headache tingles - now it is headache. It is 21:31 PM here.
So, 6 more nights and I will title it again.
Erika
ozarkcanoer
Family Elder

Post by ozarkcanoer »

You are brave, Erika, to give up something that has helped you for this experiment.

I want to try IBT too. It's now only a matter of figuring out how to do this with our bed. Queen sized bed on an old fashioned bedframe with headboards and footboards. I saw AndrewKFletcher's website and said to myself : WOW. My husband agrees to try IBT. We are not carpenters. We just have to put on our thinking caps.

ozark
Cyclops
Family Member

Post by Cyclops »

I've been sleeping with the bed inclined for about a month. I feel far more rested when I wake in the mornings. After a couple of weeks I started having sort of flashbacks - remembering things I hadn't thought about in years. It was quite intense for a few days. It was only afterwards that I thought that it might be connected to the inclined bed.

Cyclops
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

ozarkcanoer wrote:You are brave, Erika, to give up something that has helped you for this experiment.

I want to try IBT too. It's now only a matter of figuring out how to do this with our bed. Queen sized bed on an old fashioned bedframe with headboards and footboards. I saw AndrewKFletcher's website and said to myself : WOW. My husband agrees to try IBT. We are not carpenters. We just have to put on our thinking caps.

ozark
Hi Ozark,
well, I do not think it is healthy for me to sleep flat.
5 more days :)
I have very simple small bed. My parents bought it for me when I was 12. It is still OK for me.
Yes, use your "thinking cap" :D
Erika
ErikaSlovakia
Family Elder

Post by ErikaSlovakia »

Dear SCIENCE!
I woke up like this: :mrgreen:
This was my day 2. I had middle headache in my forehead, I do not want to eat my breakfast, I feel little nausea. After getting up from my bed I felt little bit more dizzy than usually.
I went to sleep with middle headache last night.
I am sure I will incline my bed again after 5 more nights.
But I do not feel the fatigue, headache is not strong so far, I move faster, I walk faster about 20%, I still see as well as after the procedure when I look far, I still do not have to push my belly to be able to empty my bladder.
I think the procedure helped me in some things and I thing the inclined bed helps me against good morning headaches and nausea in the morning.
I will report you dear science tomorrow again.
Erika
AndrewKFletcher
Family Elder

Inclined Bed Therapy for people with multiple sclerosis

Erika

Thank you for taking the time read about and to test Inclined Therapy and for reverting back to flat bed rest to identify whether it is the stent surgery or the inclined bed that is providing you relief and improvement.

First night flat and your headaches appearing in the morning and during the day as they did prior to tilting the bed and prior to your stent surgery is very interesting indeed.

If you could also convey your experiment and results back to Franz Schelling, who incidentally is fascinated by this discovery, and others using the German forum he will be very interested to hear about your observations as will many more people with ms who read your reports over the next week.

The repairs from the stent procedure will undoubtedly address the loss of circulation and backpressure this is logical.

A spinal cord injury shows the nervous system struggles to repair itself, cerebral palsy shows the brain also has difficulty in repairing the damage caused from oxygenation deficiency at birth, so I fail to understand how inserting a stent alone is going to reverse multiple scars in the brain and spinal cord. I can however understand that providing the venous reflux is the cause, the stent should prevent further damage and the progression of multiple sclerosis.

Varicose Veins
Think about varicose veins for example. Surgery is performed to address the visible damage without taking into account what has caused the damage = Increased Venous Pressure.

Patching up the tubes that are still exposed to the same pressure that caused them to bulge out cannot provide a long term solution and frequently results in more cosmetic surgery being performed as the blood flow is redirected and other veins become swollen, even bulging like a balloon known as a vein blowout, usually in the groin.
So it is imperative to address the cause as well as fixing the obvious obstructions.

The photographs of varicose veins in a male aged 34 before and after I.T. shown here: http://www.thisisms.com/modules.php?nam ... 5&start=90

Show clearly we are addressing the pressure source by tilting the bed and avoiding flat bedrest.

Headaches

Your headaches could be indicative of that same pressure change laying flat where the heart has to do all of the work. The heart after all is an efficient pump and when the body is flat it has to provide the force for the circulation to continue. If correct then the veins will inevitably inflate to cope with the additional arterial pressure and as veins cannot readily support internal pressure due to their elasticity, unlike the rigid arterial walls, the veins will bulge and distort, even twist under pressure.

Brief Explanation:

When the bed is tilted, we release pulses of solutes resulting from expired solute free air from the respiratory tract into the main artery, obvious evidence for this is the salinity of nasal mucus tears, sweat and saliva occurring wherever evaporation takes place. Coincidence that salt increases taste? Or could the added salt increase the amount of tastes entering the nervous system?

Salts released down the artery according to experimental evidence shown on Youtube videos will assist the circulation to run in one direction and at the same time improve venous return flow back to the heart providing the body is correctly aligned with the direction of gravity, hence the use of an inclined bed.

Michell Cabanac University Laval Quebec Canada presented some remarkable footage showing blood flow reversal in the brain due to evaporative heat stress.

The hotter the volunteer became while exercising the more the blood began to flow in the opposite direction to the force from the heart shown using a doppler probe. Not an unnatural occurrence but a normal reaction to increased evaporative heat loss from the scalp.

Cabanac et al were saying that the blood flow reversal was due to the brain deciding to keep itself cooler even calling the paper selective cooling of the brain. However, the brain cannot alter the direction of blood flow as there are no valves in the vessels that pass through the skull from the skin to the brain.

Evidence for efficacy with multiple sclerosis.

On the two main threads, I have provided evidence from 2 pilot studies, now supported by the evidence from Erika and foreverspring and other members of the forum together with an independent report from the Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre (MSRC). Titled Raised bed Survey.

All of this evidence over many years has shown irrefutably that tilting the bed we sleep in has a profound restorative affect on many neurological conditions.
MS being the main condition that has been investigated over many years without any financial gain and considerable financial costs.

Ask yourself why anyone in their right mind would spend 16 years of their life trying to help people who frequently reject and even ridicule rather than testing the inclined method themselves. I have asked myself this same question too many times.

Yet here we are 16 years later trying to find a way of presenting the facts so that many tens of thousands of people can find relief from debilitating illnesses and injuries using a simple technique that does not require drugs or indeed their inherent side effects and can be conducted in the comfort of their own home.

When I came to this magnificent forum I had great hopes of encouraging lots of people to test this therapy and report their findings. I still have those hopes and we have already seen the unprecedented reports from Foreverspring, a lady in her late sixties who has shared her experiences to help others.
Teri Harrison over 11 years ago tilted her bed, she is on my facebook friends list for those who want to ask her about this. Teri for 11 years has led a normal active life with only occasional bouts of short term optic neuritis to remind her of how life was before she tilted her bed all those years ago.

Yes I know we have all heard that if something sounds too good to be true it frequently is. But there is a difference here. Thos snake oil peddlers have $£ sings in their eyes. I don’t!

Andrew K Fletcher

Additional information can be found on my blog. http://andrewkennethfletcher.blogspot.com/
Ruthless67
Family Elder

I'm giving IBT a try starting tonite

Post by Ruthless67 »

Erika & Andrew,
I've inclined my bed this morning when I changed the sheets. It was easy as we have a select comfort air bed so each side of the queen bed has it's own air chambers.
I don't suffer from morning headaches, but I do have a lot of sneezing in the morning which makes me have to blow my nose and clear my throat of phlegm. Maybe this will help.
Also Andrew you said, "In another thread long before you (Erika) tilted your bed and long before your surgery, I mentioned the dramatic improvements in two ladies with supposedly irreversible optic nerve damage." so that is something I will watch for because my left eye has damage from optic neuritis that I also have been told is irreversible. The vision is blurred, seems darker, like a cloudy day and colors are off.
I'll report back any noticeable changes or improvements.
Lora [/quote]