Post MS attack

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Mbates1990

Post MS attack

Post by Mbates1990 »

I recently had an MS attack that I was hospiatlized for 3 days with. After being on steriods, I have no energy and can hardly eat. This worries me as I feel worse after the attack than I did before. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Post MS attack

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

Were the steroids intravenous or oral? When I was first treated 20 odd years ago the base the prednisolone was in could cause an adverse reaction in 1:1000 cases. I happened to be the one! They switched me to tablets. Oral cortisone ripped my stomach to shreds and I was very weakened by it. I took the course and recovered soon after I stopped. I don't think they use that base any more.

Regards,
Mbates1990

Post by Mbates1990 »

The steriods were IV. 1000 mg over a six day period. Now the problem is I cannot keep food down at all. I almost passed out at work and was sent home.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Mbates1990 wrote:The steriods were IV. 1000 mg over a six day period. Now the problem is I cannot keep food down at all. I almost passed out at work and was sent home.
I encourage you to read through the B12 Insufficiency/MS thread: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... 24857.html

where NHE posted: http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... ml#p226723

Decreased vitamin B12 and folate levels in cerebrospinal fluid and serum of multiple sclerosis patients after high-dose intravenous methylprednisolone

"…were treated with 1000 mg intravenous methylprednisolone…"

It might make sense to discuss a possible vitamin B12 deficiency with your doctor and request the initial 4 tests necessary to rule it out: #1 a serum B12 test (or the newer, more reliable HoloTc test, if it is available in your area); #2 RBC folate test; #3 a serum homocysteine test; and #4 a methylmalonic acid test. These tests are relatively inexpensive and could yield valuable information.
Scott1
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Scott1 »

Hi,

I agree with Lyndacarol.

Also start taking the best multi strain probiotic you can afford. The bacteria through your gut needs to be recultured with some good bugs. We don't know what else has happened in your medical history but I bet there is a history of antibiotics at some stage which will have upset the balance.
I would also look at trying carrot juice,pomegranate juice, watermelon or its juice and fresh fruit where the colour goes all the way through. All are good for you and should be easy to keep down. A simple consume of bone broth or home made chicken soup will probably stay down as well.

Regards,