Increase in Spasticity in Standing position

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
Taurus
Family Elder

Increase in Spasticity in Standing position

Post by Taurus »

I experience great deal of increase in spasticity in my right arm and legs while standing. The situation gets better as I sit or lay down. Is it related to CCSVI :?:
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

My OT says the spasticity originates from the cradle/hip area. When I lie in bed and extend my legs straight out the spasticity is at it's worse. I am in a W/C.
gauchito
Family Member

Post by gauchito »

I am trying to find out drugs to deal with spasticity thus improving mobility. Do you happen to have any info on Sativex which is apparently a new cannabis based drug recently approved in Europe aimed at reducing spasticity? Any other potential therapy suggested?
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

I tried one of the cannabis drugs. Cannot remember the name. But it did not help me. Made me weaker. (as if I need that) It is also very expensive.
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

gauchito
If you ever find something that works, post it here. I think I have tried every drug, vitamin, supplement and even Maryjane. Nothing has worked.
Thekla
Family Elder

Post by Thekla »

The only supplement which made a distinct noticeable impact on my spasticity was vitamin D. I had moved to Germany from Panama and after about a month, I couldn't move. I was walking on tiptoes, straight-legged. It was the worst it had ever been. Vitamin D was like magic for me. I was back to my normal manageable level of spasticity which seems to have improved further since my procedure last month.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

In the Momentum magazine, Fall 2011 issue, which arrived yesterday, there is an article, "The role of drugs or surgery," which focuses on mobility. On page 18 Botox is listed as a medication used in mobility problems:

"Botox, or botulinum toxin, is another option for spasticity management. This drug paralyzes the muscles and is given as an injection into specific muscle groups.

'Botox often relieves painful spasms but it may not necessarily improve mobility, so it's important to have good communication about this decision and clear expectations among all parties,' Dr. Boissy cautioned."

Just thought you might find this interesting.
lucky125
Family Elder

Re: Increase in Spasticity in Standing position

Post by lucky125 »

Taurus wrote:I experience great deal of increase in spasticity in my right arm and legs while standing. The situation gets better as I sit or lay down. Is it related to CCSVI :?:
CCSVI may have contributed to our nerve damage that causes spasticity.
My spasticity in my left hamstring gets worse when I stand for any length of time. My successful CCSVI treatments have improved the problem, but not gotten rid of it completely. The simplest answer I can offer is baclofen.

I was able to reduce my dependence on baclofen after Liberation. I now only take 20mg first thing in the morning, and on rare occasions I take 10 to 20mg in the evening when I am feeling especially tight. Before treatment I took 20mg 3 times a day, and spent much time with my leg on a heating pad!

Nicole
Liberated at Georgetown U. 3/3/10. Subsequent procedures at U of Maryland with Dr. Ziv Haskal 7/30/10, 12/2/10, 5/11/11. http://myliberationadventure.blogspot.com
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

I do not think spasticity is linked to nerve damage. My experience when I had my first procedure was the spasticity above my waist was gone completety and was reduced by 50% below my waist the day after treatment. I think, if it was nerve damage it would not of been repaired that fast.
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Dania – I think your case for spasticity NOT being linked to nerve damage makes very good sense. How COULD any improvement be seen so quickly if nerve damage was responsible?
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

Dania – You might find some information in this entire thread on spasticity useful. Specifically, the findings by Dr. Sosnoff that exercise (cycling) improves spasticity seem to support your idea that spasticity is not linked to nerve damage:

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-165145- ... tml#165145
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

lyndacarol wrote:Dania – You might find some information in this entire thread on spasticity useful. Specifically, the findings by Dr. Sosnoff that exercise (cycling) improves spasticity seem to support your idea that spasticity is not linked to nerve damage:

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-165145- ... tml#165145
Thanks. I am in a wheelchair. Cannot walk. Very limited in my range of movements due to muscles remaining contracted all the time.
gauchito
Family Member

Post by gauchito »

I tend to agree with dania in the sense that spasticity cannot be entirely well explained by nerve damage or lesions. There has to be something else !
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Heat?
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
dania
Family Elder

Post by dania »

I think... heat exacerbates every symptoms of MS. But is not the cause. Just a personal opinion and experience.