Side effects

Discuss Tecfidera (BG-12, dimethyl fumarate) as an oral treatment for multiple sclerosis.
irboxer

Re: Side effects

Post by irboxer »

I started about 3 wks ago. At first it was just itchiness. Now its heat/flushing which is not so bad but the nausea/diarrhea is making my life uncomfortable. The nausea usually accompanies heatflashes. Unrelated is neck pain and headaches from an old injury. So I'm not a happy camper right now.
KDGO
Family Member

Post by KDGO »

Thanks for the info. Are you still on 120 or up to 240?
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/antibioti ... ml#p209908
notasperfectasyou wrote:Last weekend Kim received her welcome package of Tecfidera. For some 6th sense reason, Kim waited until Saturday to take the first one, thank God. Starting Gilenya was different; Kim had to do a bunch of tests and the very first pill had to be taken in a controlled setting at a doctor’s office. Tecfidera didn’t have any of that, but maybe it should. Kim had a severe reaction. She started to itch and then she got hives and then she got beet red and then she started swell and shake. The paramedics came and they gave her a 50 mg shot of Benadryl which ultimately brought her back after we got to the emergency room. The hospital also gave her solumedrol. We left a few hours later. This was scary.
KClay
Getting to Know You...

Post by KClay »

Wow! I haven't heard of anyone having a reaction like that. Glad you were not at home for first dose. Sorry you had to go through that.
Kelley
KDGO
Family Member

Post by KDGO »

Yikes..there was an equally disturbing story as Kim's on Wheelchair Kamikaze's Tecifidera blog. I don't know if it was the same person or another person with a hospital trip because of the drug's reaction. Thank you to all who have advise their experiences.
DonnaMedeiros

Post by DonnaMedeiros »

I started Tecfidera two weeks ago. I haven't had any side effects like the flushing. However, today I have this excruciating pain in my stomach. Can it take that long to experience side effects....or could it just be a stomach virus? I have been very achy....whole body hurts....for the past two weeks. Has anyone heard if this is a side effect?
elysium

Post by elysium »

Hi all- I have been reading the posts here hoping for more info and realized I needed to join to give what little info with my experiences I have to all of you. I am on the fourth day of the starter pack. I haven't had noticeable flushing although I am already combating redness and easy blushing, so I'm not the best judge of that. The first day I took it I did have some nausea (rare for me) hours after I took the first dose. The second day I had no nausea but did have random, slight, pin-prick type itching also hours after the dose. Yesterday, the third day, I had very intense intestinal pain. No nausea or gastric distress, just pain that occurred hours after I had taken the first dose and lasted a few hours. I managed to mow my grass through it with many breaks that I usually don't need. I also had a pretty hard time getting back in my house. I do realize this could just be the MS and not a reaction to the med (who knows????). Today, the fourth day, I have had no noticeable side effects.
I have had no noticeable reactions after the second dose of the day.
I'm worried. I'm scared. I'm hopeful.
I will try to report any increases or continuations of symptoms, but let's hope they all pass!
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

elysium wrote:I have had no noticeable reactions after the second dose of the day.
Welcome, and thanks for registering and sharing.

I am not on BG-12, so do not know too many details, but obviously, its twice a day dosing. Do we know if they6 experimented with the effects and side effects with more smaller doses? ie instead of 2 tablets a day, say 4 tablets at half the dose dispersed over the day.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Post by notasperfectasyou »

KDGO wrote:Yikes..there was an equally disturbing story as Kim's on Wheelchair Kamikaze's Tecifidera blog. I don't know if it was the same person or another person with a hospital trip because of the drug's reaction. Thank you to all who have advise their experiences.
Different Kim. Kimscupoftea is my wife. The only thing I'd add, if you're starting this, have some Benadryl at home. I think two of them makes 50 mg. I'd still go to the ER or doctor, but at least you don't have to wait for the paramedics.
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
MarketingMaven

Post by MarketingMaven »

Now I have started to get nausea in addition to the flushing (taking for 6 weeks) but worst of all, I just got an exacerbation, first one in 8 years on Rebif ( which I switched from). Seeing my neuro on Saturday, I will probably switch back to Rebif.
KClay
Getting to Know You...

Post by KClay »

I think I had my first exacerbation in four years about the time I started tecfidera. I'm anxious to see what my next MRI looks like. I Woke up last night stinging and itching from flushing. I've lost ten lbs since starting new drug. The nausea and abdominal pain often leave me not wanting to eat. Don't get me wrong--I had ten to give. But another ten and people will start asking what's wrong. I get really tempted to quit it all and see how I do. My husband isn't very excited about that.
Kelley
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

KClay wrote:I think I had my first exacerbation in four years about the time I started tecfidera.
What were you using previously, anything?
KClay
Getting to Know You...

Post by KClay »

Avonex for four years. Side effects took a day and a half out of every week.
Kelley
azadeh05

Post by azadeh05 »

I took my first pill this morning. After 4 years on Avonex the side effects never lessened so I have high hopes for techidera. I am wondering if anyone has experienced itching after starting tecfidera? I can feel the flushing coming and going but I am definitely itching on my arms and chest. With such light skin the scratch marks are pretty noticeable.
Thanks!
mikro

Post by mikro »

azadeh05 wrote:I took my first pill this morning. After 4 years on Avonex the side effects never lessened so I have high hopes for techidera. I am wondering if anyone has experienced itching after starting tecfidera? I can feel the flushing coming and going but I am definitely itching on my arms and chest. With such light skin the scratch marks are pretty noticeable.
Thanks!
As for itching I only stroke the itching areas, I don't scratch them with the fingernails. This helps a Little bit.