Confused

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
msc1973

Confused

Post by msc1973 »

Hello I'm new to group. Was told by my MD that I show classic signs of ms. Pain in hands radiating up arm with tingling and numbness in fingers. Pain in lower leg time going in toes. Today pain is in my calf area not lower leg. I'm also feeling like pins and needles sticking me. This is a little scary for me but just wanted some feed back if anyone else had these symptoms
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Confused

Post by NHE »

msc1973 wrote:Hello I'm new to group. Was told by my MD that I show classic signs of ms. Pain in hands radiating up arm with tingling and numbness in fingers. Pain in lower leg time going in toes. Today pain is in my calf area not lower leg. I'm also feeling like pins and needles sticking me. This is a little scary for me but just wanted some feed back if anyone else had these symptoms
Welcome to ThisIsMS. There are many conditions which can cause MS-like symptoms. These will need to need to be tested and eliminated as a possibility before an MS diagnosis can be made. In essence, an MS diagnosis is a diagnosis of exclusion.

One of the conditions which is well known for mimicking MS symptoms is a vitamin B12 deficiency. I would urge anyone with neurological symptoms to get tested as soon as possible as the neurological deficits from B12 deficiency can become irreversible if they're left untreated. Tests include serum B12, red blood cell (RBC) folate, homocysteine and methylmalonic acid (MMA). Note that the standard laboratory range for serum B12, around 200-800 pg/mL, is much too broad and the lower end of the range includes many people who are actually deficient. If you have neurological symptoms, then you really want to be between 600-1000 pg/mL. You may wish to read the following topic for more information on B12. http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... 24857.html