MS May Be Controlled By Hunger-Spiking Neurons

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

MS May Be Controlled By Hunger-Spiking Neurons

Postby MSUK » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:20 am

Multiple Sclerosis, Other Autoimmune Diseases May Be Controlled By Hunger-Spiking Neurons

Neurons that control hunger in the central nervous system also regulate immune cell functions, implicating eating behavior as a defense against infections and autoimmune disease development, Yale School of Medicine researchers have found in a new study published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS).

Autoimmune diseases have been on a steady rise in the United States. These illnesses develop when the body's immune system turns on itself and begins attacking its own tissues. The interactions between different kinds of T cells are at the heart of fighting infections, but they have also been linked to autoimmune disorders........ Read More -
Family Elder

Re: MS May Be Controlled By Hunger-Spiking Neurons

Postby Leonard » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:16 am

I think that there is a relationship.
But it is not a direct causal/caused relationship as suggested.

I think it runs via the endocrine system which is a system of fabulous complexity.
Starvation and fasting in general i.e. the hunger hormone induces a great number of biological responses.
With effects on all sort of regulatory mechanisms, the immune system, Th17 cells, etc etc.

see also ... review.pdf
or the last few pages of general-discussion-f1/topic15188-390.html
Family Elder

Return to General Discussion