Dehydrated & getting worse though drinking 1> gallon a day

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.

Re: Dehydrated & getting worse though drinking 1> gallon a

Postby jimmylegs » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:17 pm

keeping in mind..:
regimens-f22/topic19921.html#p191795
Comparison of the effects of fish and fish-oil capsules on the n–3 fatty acid content of blood cells and plasma phospholipids
http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/6/1621.short

in that study, they found that eating oily fish twice a week or taking fish oil every day was about the same, with the fish being a bit more effective.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Advertisement

Postby THX1138 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:14 pm

:-D
THX1138
Family Elder

Postby THX1138 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:50 pm

Thanks :-D I'm finding that this water thing is REALLY important, not that I didn't drink much before (I used to drink about 3 quarts a day, but it was reverse osmosis filtered water :sad: )
The salt is helping.
I don't have a very good idea about how much, when, and do I need to mix it with my water for to be most effective.
But at some point, it stops the thirst
Did you mean some point in time or some point of salt intake quantity?
THX1138
Family Elder

Postby David1951 » Thu May 08, 2014 6:32 pm

Morton lite salt is sodium and potassium. 1/8 teaspoon per quart is roughly equal to what is in Gatorade. I started at 60 oz per day and much changed in my condition.

I was on 2 BP meds and had to stop BOTH within 2 weeks, my BP has been more normal ever since

Low motility and Constipation, companions of long term dehydration, lessened greatly

I'm sure there was more but I went through this in '08 and have made further improvement since then... those two were the big ones other than the usual low electrolyte symptoms.
David1951

Postby centenarian100 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:28 pm

A brief explanation of the physiology of excess water intake for the opening poster to confirm jimmylegs' link:

When you consume excess water, you accomplish three things in the short run:

1) You increase your blood volume
2) You increase your interstitial fluid volume
3) You decrease your blood osmolality (by dilution)

Your body has multiple mechanisms to maintain a certain blood volume:

1) increased blood volume leads to increased renal perfusion, increasing urine output
2) decreased blood osmolality decreases production of vasopressin in the posterior hypothalamus, causing your kidneys to produce more dilute urine. However, your kidneys can only produce a certain minimally dilute concentration of urine, so you will lose some electrolytes (Na+, K+, Mg2+, etc)
3) decreased thirst mediated by the hypothalamus
4) decreased production of atrial natriuretic peptide.

By consuming excess water, you are fighting your body's natural desire to maintain a certain osmolality, even if your blood volume is normal. hence, proper hydration requires both water and electrolytes (in proper moderation)
centenarian100
Family Elder

Previous

Return to General Discussion