Diet advice, meal plans, etc?

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
MamaSquirrel

Diet advice, meal plans, etc?

Post by MamaSquirrel »

Hi there,

What does a typical healthy day's worth of meals/snacks look like for managing MS? My current diet is a bit scattered, some days I eat healthily, others I only have one meal a day or don't eat at all. I'm clueless in what foods are best or should be avoided. Plus, I have a tiny food budget for myself, hubby and two small children. Any advice is appreciated! :-D
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Diet advice, meal plans, etc?

Post by ElliotB »

There is no 'typical' MS diet. There are many recommended MS diets. The main theme from most of them is to eliminate foods high in saturated fats. I suggest you review them and follow one of your choice that makes sense to you and fits into your budget. Here is a link to the diet threads on this site:

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/diet-f9/

As a starting point, you may want to consider the Swank, Jelinek, Best Bet or Paleo diets.

Most of the diets are very similar. Most diets are effective for some but not all. The most 'controversial' perhaps is the Wahls Diet which advocates the consumption of high fat grass fed meats, certain specific wild caught fishes (like salmon and tuna) and lots and lots of specific deep greens (such as spinach and kale).

Good luck and be well!
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

While there are many MS diets, most discourage gluten and dairy. Some also discourage beans and peanuts. My wife has been following this kind of diet for 9 years with no problems. This can easily be done now that gluten free is the new 'in' fad. Gluten free pastas (rice or corn) are usually available at most supermarkets, and are almost indistinguishable from regular pasta. Gluten free breads can also be found at many supermarkets. They are not as tasty as real bread, but some (like Udi's) are pretty good. As for dairy, rice milk tastes pretty close to real milk. Almond milk and flax milk are also options. Rice yougurt can sometimes be found in supermarkets - it's actually quite good. As for cheese, Diaya makes a dairy free, gluten free line of cheese substitutes that are pretty good, especially in a corn tortilla roll-up or gluten free pizza. Other cheese substitutes sometimes contain milk protien (not good). Of course eating a healthy diet with lots of veggies, fresh fruits, and seafood is a no brainer. Good snacks might include nuts, nut butters, fruits, salsa & chips, stuffed grape leaves, smoked salmon, and an occasional chunk of dark chocolate. Eating out can be tricky, but if you like asian food, you can get by. also things like a garden salad with grilled chicken or shrimp will work nicely. If you cheat a little at a restaurant, you are not going to keel over and die!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

hi mama :) one thing i have done for low budget tims members in the past, is have a look at their shopping lists and provide tips on how to reallocate spending for best nutrient density. if you'd like me to help you in that way just say the word :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
chriswithms

Post by chriswithms »

I was diagnosed with MS this year and I've done many research on the web. I found a site that has many information on the subject. Latest news about MS, treatments and some books worth reading on the subject.

MS Treatment

I'm currently trying to eat Gluten-Free and taking some vitamins everyday.

If someone already read this book and find it useful fighting MS, please tell me!

Thanks
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Elsewhere on this site is http://www.thisisms.com/forum/chronic-c ... 17004.html You would do well to look at this link.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)