Has Anyone Heard of Protandim

Tell us what you are using to treat your MS-- and how you are doing.
suestory56

Has Anyone Heard of Protandim

Post by suestory56 »

I became aware of this natural supplement. I then learned that Protandim can be used to alleviate the symptoms of MS and that Montel Williams is taking it and has no MS symptoms as long as he continues to take it. I figure that if it's working for Montel and if it really will set back my health clock to when I was 20, what have I got to loose?

I found out that Protandim used to be available at GNC but was pulled because the clerks didn't know what it was or what it did.

When I googled Protandim and saw an article saying that it might be a scam, I was directed to pubmed.gov and was told to search for Protandim. It seems that only Juried articles are allowed to be published at Pubmed. That and everything else convinced me to give it a try.

Just wondering if anyone else has taken it.

You're thoughts would be appreciated.
milesap
Family Elder

Re: Has Anyone Heard of Protandim

Post by milesap »

I stay away from multi marketing plans they are usually scams
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

The protandium website claims that it's an Nrf2 transcription factor activator. There are abundant molecules in nature that activate Nrf2 (a free review paper), e.g., curcumin from turmeric and cinnamic aldehyde from cinnamon just to name two. Get a good enhanced absorption form of curcumin and you should be fine. Two forms worth mentioning are products containing Meriva phytosome curcumin and those that contain BCM-95 curcumin. See the discussion in this thread http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... 18585.html.

It's the pro-oxidant effects of curcumin that activate Nrf2 by oxidizing the thiols on the Nrf2 regulatory protein. This causes the regulatory protein to unbind from Nrf2 so that Nrf2 can then enter the nucleus and turn on transcription of the antioxidant enzymes. Since curcumin is reacting with thiols, taking a thiol containing antioxidant such as lipoic acid at the same time will likely allow the two molecules to simply neutralize each other and reduce their benefits.

By the way, it looks like Montel is getting paid to promote protandium. Go figure... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protandim

Get yourself some good curcumin and stay away from MLMs.

NHE
suestory56

Post by suestory56 »

I have heard of and am presently taking Progandim. I have been told that I will have to take it for 2 months before I see any results for my MS. Currently, it has not yet been 1 month. To date, I have seen 1 result ... my knees used to hurt when I stood up (thought I was getting Arthitis in my knees), they do not hurt any more and that was after taking Protandim for a week.

My Parents heard about Protandim and the fact that it will take all the oxidative stress out of your body. My Dad is a retired Chiroproctor and he immediately called and ordered a bottle for he and my mom and put them on an autoship plan (I'm on one too). My Mom has skin cancer and there is an article at Pubmed that talks about Protandim taking care of folks that suffer from skin cancer.

I was sold on getting Protandim and that it would work for me when I met someone who works where I live. She heard me talking about it but had not heard the name of it. She spoke up and said that I must be talking about Protandim. I said that I was. She then told me that she was taking it too and knew a woman who had just been taking it for several weeks. She was scheduled to have heart surgery and had to go into the hospital for a pre-surgery check up where they took her blood.

Her doctor called her the next day and said "what are you taking?"
She asked "why?"
He then said, "because your heart is fine."

Her story, along with the fact that as long as Montal Williams takes Protandim he won't have any sign of MS (has a person who puts out all the pills that he is to take every day in a dish). His MS symtoms started to return and Montel found out that the guy putting his pills out had forgotten to put out Protandim.

I understand why MLM. Life Vantage wants to sell Protandim. They tried one Vitamin store (GNC) which failed. They then turned to the public to get the word out and decided to reward us (the public) that if we found others who wanted to buy Protandim, they would go "under" us and if we found enough, it would pay for our protandim.

I figure, what the heck, what have I got to loose, I'm taking it and if I can help others learn about it and ultimately alleviate their MS symtoms and end up paying for my own Protandim in the long run, what have I got to loose.

Therefore, if anyone is interested in buying Protandim, send me your telephone # and I'll have my supplier call you. My email is
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Sue,
Our Rules of the Board state that...
[color=blue]Arron[/color] wrote:NO advertising is allowed on the message boards, period. If you like a product, you can tell us about it. But if you gain financially from selling said product, your posts will be deleted and you will be banned from the site without warning. Thank you for your understanding of this simple rule.
NHE
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Protandim contains 3 ingredients from the Endothelial Health Program:

Curcumin, EGCG (green tea) and milk thistle
You can get these supplements without dealing with marketing or pyramid schemes.
Like NHE says, they are readily bioavailable in most high quality supplements.
Read his explanation....it's spot on.

And here's the Endothelial Health Program for free---
http://ccsvi.org/index.php/helping-myse ... ial-health

It's not about one pill. It's about a new way of living.
cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

The book "Green Tea" by Nadine Taylor indicates that the average cup of green tea contains 50-100 mg of catechins.

Protandim contains just 75 mg of green tea extract. That's only about 1 cups worth of catechins. Most studies indicate that you need to drink about 4 cups per day to obtain a positive benefit. The study I referenced previously notes that EGCG is also an Nrf2 activator. You can increase the absorbtion of EGCG by adding a little lemon juice to your green tea.

NHE
jackD
Family Elder

Post by jackD »

I posted about this stuff on NEUROTALK..

http://neurotalk.psychcentral.com/thread94642-2.html

jackD
Fitzaroy

Post by Fitzaroy »

I am going to post this once and only once. I am not advertising for Protandim but I am going to prove that Techfidera and Protandim do the exact same thing. This is the Problem, NRF2 is a new concept and what that means is the protein NRF2 that we all have until we reach our early to mid 20s in everyone of our cells nucleus. It then migrates from the transcription factoid in the nucleus to the cell wall, were it becomes inert. I don't care if you understood that or not. reason being you will see it in every piece of literature you read about NRF2. So what dose that mean? you had a Protein that directly effected gene expressions in your DNA until you reached your mid 20s. It then migrated to the cell wall and became inert because it was not in the nucleus of every cell in your body.

I am not going to say more for fear I get a 6th rejected post on this site because I told the truth. so I am am going to link the results and let you decide.

http://hubbardfoundation.blogspot.com/2 ... ethyl.html

http://registration.akm.ch/einsicht.php ... KEN_ID=900
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

Fitzaroy wrote:I am not going to say more for fear I get a 6th rejected post on this site because I told the truth. so I am am going to link the results and let you decide.
I personally did not follow your links because they were not from peer reviewed medical journals.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Fitzaroy wrote:I am going to post this once and only once. I am not advertising for Protandim but I am going to prove that Techfidera and Protandim do the exact same thing. This is the Problem, NRF2 is a new concept and what that means is the protein NRF2 that we all have until we reach our early to mid 20s in everyone of our cells nucleus. It then migrates from the transcription factoid in the nucleus to the cell wall, were it becomes inert. I don't care if you understood that or not. reason being you will see it in every piece of literature you read about NRF2. So what dose that mean? you had a Protein that directly effected gene expressions in your DNA until you reached your mid 20s. It then migrated to the cell wall and became inert because it was not in the nucleus of every cell in your body.
There is no such thing as a "transcription factoid." Moreover, animal cells don't have cell walls.
apieceofdenise

Post by apieceofdenise »

Tecfidera and Protandim may do the exact same thing.. however there are many side effects to Tecfidera and it's killing people. There have been no side effects of Protandim and it costs approx $564 per yer as apposed to $50K a year. J/S
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

Early on, it was thought that that dimethlyfumarate acted as an Nrf2 activator. However, I suspect that it's more complicated than that. Nrf2 activators are great though. There are plenty of natural Nrf2 activators and I'm sticking with those for now. Here's a free review paper discussing natural Nrf2 activators.

Nrf2 as a Master Redox Switch in Turning on the Cellular Signaling Involved in the Induction of Cytoprotective Genes by Some Chemopreventive Phytochemicals
https://www.thieme-connect.com/products ... 088302.pdf
  • A wide array of dietary phytochemicals have been reported to induce the expression of enzymes involved in both cellular antioxidant defenses and elimination/inactivation of electrophilic carcinogens. Induction of such cytoprotective enzymes by edible phytochemicals largely accounts for their cancer chemopreventive and chemoprotective activities. Nuclear factor-erythroid-2-related factor 2 (Nrf2) plays a crucial role in the coordinated induction of those genes encoding many stress-responsive and cytoptotective enzymes and related proteins. These include NAD(P)H:-quinone oxidoreductase-1, heme oxygenase-1, glutamate cysteine ligase, glutathioneS-transferase, glutathione peroxidase, thioredoxin, etc. In resting cells, Nrf2 is sequestered in the cytoplasm as an inactive complex with the repressor Kelchlike ECH-associated protein 1 (Keap1). The release of Nrf2 from its repressor is most likely to be achieved by alterations in the structure of Keap1. Keap1 contains several reactive cysteine residues that function as sensors of cellular redox changes. Oxidation or covalent modification of some of these critical cysteine thiols would stabilize Nrf2, thereby facilitating nuclear accumulation of Nrf2. After translocation into nucleus, Nrf2 forms a heterodimer with other transcription factors, such as small Maf, which in turn binds to the 5′-upstreamcis-acting regulatory sequence, termed antioxidant response elements (ARE) or electrophile response elements (EpRE), located in the promoter region of genes encoding various antioxidant and phase 2 detoxifying enzymes. Certain dietary chemopreventive agents target Keap1 by oxidizing or chemically modifying one or more of its specific cysteine thiols, thereby stabilizing Nrf2. In addition, phosphorylation of specific serine or threonine residues present in Nrf2 by upstream kinases may also facilitate the nuclear localization of Nrf2. Multiple mechanisms of Nrf2 activation by signals mediated by one or more of the upstream kinases, such as mitogen-activated protein kinases, phosphatidylionositol-3-kinase/Akt, protein kinase C, and casein kinase-2 have recently been proposed. This review highlights the cytoprotective gene expression induced by some representative dietary chemopreventive phytochemicals with the Nrf2-Keap1 system as a prime molecular target.
3verydaySurvivor

Post by 3verydaySurvivor »

I think it's a supplement if I'm not mistaken?