Jugular Vein Obstruction caused by turning of the head--

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
cheerleader
Family Elder

Jugular Vein Obstruction caused by turning of the head--

Post by cheerleader »

Something to think about...especially concerning head posture when sleeping, when the jugulars are utilized the most. Also for those utilizing inclined bed therapy or thinking about postural relationship to jugular flow- this is a good study to read.

CharlesA.Gooding1Gary K. Stima&
In vivo and cadaver studies demonstrated that turning the head to one side results in torsion and compression of the ipsilateral internal jugular vein. This can obstruct venous drainage from the head and cause increased intracranial pressure in patients who have had ligation or resection of the contralateral jugular vein or who have maldevelopment of the contralateral dural sinuses.

Our studies cleanly demonstrated that turning the head to one side results in torsion-compression of the ipsilatenal internal jugular vein, which could have hemodynamically significant consequences. Though many collateral channels for venous drainage of the head are available to compensate, they may be severely compromised if resection, ligation, or cathetenization of the vein, on anatomic variations in the venous channels have already obstructed the contralatenal internal jugular vein.
http://www.ajronline.org/cgi/reprint/142/2/403.pdf

cheer
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

incredible.. absolutely incredible.. i've asked this very question of many.. inspired by my own habit of stomach sleeping.. surfed.. read.. researched without success.. and then poof.. here it is... once again brought to us by our friendly neighbourhood 'cheerleader'.. thank you
bluesky63
Family Elder

Post by bluesky63 »

Naturally I remember that I loved sleeping on my stomach -- and when did that become impossible? When I was pregnant and breastfeeding! :-) The plot thickens! :-) Thank you, Cheerleader, as always!
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

hi bluesky.. sorry..could you help me understand the stomach sleeping to pregnancy/ breastfeeding not being able to, connection? Did you feel better while pregnant/ breastfeeding? ..hmm hope that's not too personal...puzzle..pieces..looking for....thanks :)
muse
Family Elder

Post by muse »

Good find cheer. Dr. Schelling told me some times ago the same and he said it would be worth while to think about to wear a sort of a “neck brace” over the day to avoid that problem until I get fixed my higher up stenosis of the VJ.
I do the inclined bed therapy as well so for me it isn’t further possible to sleep on the belly anymore (back problems). What’s good because I did this my whole live and I was always turning the head to one side.
Best
Arne ...sleeping always on her hips now
http://www.csvi-ms.net/en
ndwannabe
Family Elder

Post by ndwannabe »

Thank you! Having started the IBT I almost instinctively was trying to position my head every so other way, finding the best position. You just helped me :)
bluesky63
Family Elder

Post by bluesky63 »

Sorry if that seemed mysterious. There's a general sense that MS improves during pregnancy, and there are also studies that show improvement if someone breastfeeds instead of weaning immediately. I was being a little facetious because there are multiple factors that could be involved (blood volume increasing, different hormones circulating, etc.) but one thing that becomes impossible if you're pregnant is sleeping on a large stomach. :-) And if you're breastfeeding, you can't sleep on your stomach or you'll get a breast infection (or at least I would have).

But really I was don't know if it could be that simple and mechanical with all the complex factors at play. :-)
WeWillBeatMS
Family Elder

Post by WeWillBeatMS »

Thanks for posting this informaion Cheerleader. I have been plagued by nighttime extreme headaches for years. My head just feels like it's going to explode at times at night. I have even described it to a few neurologists as feeling like my brain is swelling as if I have encephilits or something. I tell people that I feel like I'm crawling into my coffin when I get into bed. In addition to the pain I get extremely cold at times and then hot and sweating other times. Diziness gets worse for me at night as well. I am scheduled for my first MRV in two days for Friday. Hope to see the evidence in black and white finally.

faith, hope & love
<div>WeWillBeatMS<br /><br /><br />Zamboni for President!</div>
frodo
Family Elder

Post by frodo »

Is it known which one closes? I mean, if I turn my head to the right, is the right IJV the one that closes? or the left instead? Maybe it could be even possible that one closes and the other opens.

Please cheer, you are in contact with doctors. Ask them this.
Cece
Family Elder

Re: Jugular Vein Obstruction caused by turning of the head--

Post by Cece »

cheerleader wrote: In vivo and cadaver studies demonstrated that turning the head to one side results in torsion and compression of the ipsilateral internal jugular vein.
frodo, there's the answer...I had to learn the word ipsilateral earlier on this site, when I read that occlusion in a jugular may cause swelling in the ipsilateral arm/hand...it means same side. I have issues when my head is turned to the left or when I try to lie down on my left side, so it may be that my left jugular is the affected one. Lots to chew on.
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
ikulo
Family Elder

Post by ikulo »

Could this explain why some MSers don't have stenosis when tested? meaning, there is no permanent stenosed vein, but it is just temporarily closed off while sleeping on your stomach for example?
frodo
Family Elder

Re: Jugular Vein Obstruction caused by turning of the head--

Post by frodo »

Cece wrote:
cheerleader wrote: In vivo and cadaver studies demonstrated that turning the head to one side results in torsion and compression of the ipsilateral internal jugular vein.
frodo, there's the answer...I had to learn the word ipsilateral earlier on this site, when I read that occlusion in a jugular may cause swelling in the ipsilateral arm/hand...it means same side. I have issues when my head is turned to the left or when I try to lie down on my left side, so it may be that my left jugular is the affected one. Lots to chew on.
God!! I would have never guessed that word!!!
Thanks
Cece
Family Elder

Post by Cece »

"In each instance of turning, the contralatenal jugular vein remained
patent."

So...the same side vein closes, the other side stays open...
"However, the truth in science ultimately emerges, although sometimes it takes a very long time," Arthur Silverstein, Autoimmunity: A History of the Early Struggle for Recognition
PCakes
Family Elder

Post by PCakes »

ikulo..i was wondering the same thing.. and it might explain why IBT helps..which it does seem to do for me..
zap
Family Elder

Post by zap »

aha! my intuition (on this, at least) seems to have been validated!!

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-71195.html

http://www.thisisms.com/ftopicp-98820-s ... html#98820

But now that's it's more than a hunch of mine, I can hopefully muster the will to sleep on my back most or all of the time, rather than just rarely ...

I'm another stomach sleeper - if I'm lucky, on my side. I have stuffy sinuses and a swollen-feeling head many mornings, and have long suspected, even before MS disgnosis, that I should try to sleep on my back instead ....

(And when I am sleeping on my face with my head cranked way to the right, closing off the right jugular, what's going on with the left side? It's being smashed against a pillow ... hmmm)

I've also noticed that if I turn my head hard to the right (like to look at my right shoulder/back) that I feel lightheaded and pressurized after a short while and need to look forward again ...