uric acid

Discuss herbal therapies, vitamins and minerals, etc. here
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

and ps this is consistent over three separate tests over the course of roughly two years.
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

DIM wrote:Have you had a blood analysis for uric acid before start inosine?
Yes. I had low uric acid levels (i.e. below normal range) before using inosine. Since supplementation, my uric acid levels have been on the high side of normal. jimmylegs has had concerns i might get gout. bless.

I can not say I notice any difference when on or off it, but its not often I go without. I also take lecithin as well, as its suppose to raise them as well. I recently tried upping the dose, and noticed no discernible difference.

I take 1g twice a day.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

jimmylegs wrote:hello, i have yet to get on inosine, but i have had my uric acid levels tested and they are below optimal based on the ms-relevant research. in fact they are typical for ms.
Namesake what are the usual levels for a PwMS?
CureOrBust
Family Elder

Post by CureOrBust »

DIM wrote:... these publications are not valid then?
Not valid? Animal, Animal, not conclusive (small), statistics (non specific design)... They are valid, but the studies themselves admit they are not conclusive. They are not as "valid" as a targeted, designed and controlled Phase III double blind study on MS patients; which from my understanding has yet to be performed on inosine.

I personally continue to have it as a very serious part of my regimen. I do not know how I would of been if I did not take it.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Dr Aston Emphry suggests it as a crucial supplement for MS but he states is a "harder choice" due to been fairly costy and may result in gout!
Today I'll take wife's blood analysis for uric acid and if it's below normal levels I am going to order inosine, found the following cheap supplier:
http://distributors.ultimatenutrition.c ... ne_snf.pdf
cheerleader
Family Elder

Post by cheerleader »

Hi Jim-

My husband has been on inosine since his dx last March, with neuro's blessing. We had his uric acid levels tested at start, which were low (below 3.6 mg) He is now high/normal (around 8 mg) He has blood work every 3 months, and this is part of the test. He has had a good year...no relapse, no progression. He was taking 2mg daily, now is taking 1mg. We'll have levels checked again in June.

We believe inosine is part of the picture for him. No way to prove it...like many things in MS, it's on faith. I had read many of the studies, and felt lead to try this supplement. His docs agreed.

Here's my source... not too expensive.
http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Naturals-Inosine

Good luck with helping your wife. Keep researching, get blood work done on vit B, vit. D, check hormones, adrenal levels, find ways to balance her system. Good nutrition and supplementation can truly help. So can having a supportive spouse.

all the best,
AC
Husband dx RRMS 3/07
dx dual jugular vein stenosis (CCSVI) 4/09
http://ccsviinms.blogspot.com
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

"average" level is 194. i've had that exact result twice. my third (middle) result was 188.
ms-ers in relapse average in the 160s.
remission is in the neighbourhood of 230ish??? can't remember that remission number exactly.
optimal for healthy controls is 290.
gout range is around 350 and up.

cure has totally different numbers, different units - gotta convert to compare.

i'd have to go scour through old posts to find what my units are at this stage, my lab printouts don't include this info! grr!
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Just took wife's tests, she has uric acid on the low side, 2.9mg%.
I guess this means she may see improvements from inosine supplementation, right?
Thanks for your help.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

i'd be cautious about using the word "improvements".

with certain things, and i think inosine is among them, it's about minimizing future damage by getting yourself out of the "ms average" biochem. i don't think inosine repairs existing damage. sort of like getting your blood levels of vitamin D in the right neighbourhood.

meanwhile, things like vitamin B complex and magnesium can make noticeable differences in some symptoms, if you're low or low-middle in those sorts of nutrients.
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

Wife's levels of B12 are very high and is probably the reason for elevated hepatic enzyme ALT she has (or due to choline defficiency as have read inadequate choline with high levels of B complex can lead to increased SGPT-ALT levels).
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

how interesting, what is her b12 level? i've never gotten mine over around the 600s yet.

pardon my asking but is your wife not taking any of the "usual" ms pharmaceutical products?
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

908 pg/ml previously at 965 Jimmy!
She takes LDN and as have read it may elevate hepatic enzymes slightly as B12 or complex B can do while defficient in choline!
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

wow that's somethin. is that from diet, or supplementing?
DIM
Family Elder

Post by DIM »

jimmylegs wrote:wow that's somethin. is that from diet, or supplementing?
Jimmy she takes Solgar B-complex 100 the last 4 months with one day per week brake but obviously she should take it every other day due to elevated hepatic enzyme ALT.
She isn't the case of MS with low B12 but as I mentioned she has low levels uric acid which means may benefit from inosine supplementation.