Neuroplasticity

Discuss your favorite books here
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Neuroplasticity

Post by NHE »

Not long ago I posted some information about a Wired Science episode on PBS that discussed neuroplasticity. I have recently started reading a book on the same subject which discusses some of the same information, as well as Dr. Bach-y-Rita's work, but in more detail. Its title is The Brain That Changes Itself by Norman Doidge, M.D. 2007. Although I have just started reading the book, I highly recommend it for anyone who is interested in this subject. The following is quoted from inside the jacket...
The Brain Can Change Itself

It is a plastic, living organ that can actually change its own structure and function, even into old age. Arguably the most important breakthrough in neuroscience since scientists first sketched out the brain's basic anatomy, this revolutionary discovery, called neuroplasticity, promises to overthrow the centuries-old notion that the adult brain is fixed and unchanging. The brain is not, as was thought, like a machine or "hardwired" like a computer. Neuroplasticity not only gives hope to those with mental limitations, or what was thought to be incurable brain damage, but expands our understanding of the healthy brain and the resilience of human nature. Norman Doidge, M.D., a psychiatrist and researcher, set out to investigate neuroplasticity and met both the brilliant scientists championing it and the people whose lives they've transformed.

The result is this book, a riveting collection of case histories detailing the astonishing progress of people whose conditions had long been dismissed as hopeless. We see a woman born with half a brain that rewired itself to work as a whole, a woman labeled retarded who cured her deficits with brain exercises and now cures those of others, blind people learning to see, learning disorders cured, IQs raised, aging brains rejuvenated, painful phantom limbs erased, stroke patients recovering their faculties, children with cerebral palsy learning to move more gracefully, entrenched depression and anxiety disappearing, and lifelong character traits altered.

Doidge takes us onto terrain that might seem fantastic, We learn that our thoughts can switch our genes on and off, altering our brain anatomy. Scientists have developed machines that can follow these physical changes in order to read people's thoughts, allowing the paralyzed to control computers and electronics just by thinking.

We learn how people of average intelligence can, with brain exercises, improve their cognition and perception in order to become savant calculators, develop muscle strength, or learn to play a musical instrument, simply by imagining doing so.

Using personal stories from the heart of this neuroplasticity revolution, Dr. Doidge explores the profound implications of the changing brain for understanding the mysteries of love, sexual attraction, taste, culture, and education in an immensely moving, inspiring book that will permanently alter the way we look at human possibility and human nature.
Happy reading, NHE
pinda
Family Member

Post by pinda »

I have also started reading and recommend. Hope to start up some of my unused brain :D Linda
Lyon
Family Elder

Post by Lyon »

Last edited by Lyon on Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
carolew
Family Elder

Post by carolew »

just received my copy.
Will read it eagerly. Carole
skydog
Family Elder

Post by skydog »

I will give The brain that Changes itself a look. Positive thought can truly change the way your life goes. I am currently reading Ask and it is Given by Esther and Jerry Hicks. Its a great book. A powerful book. I highly advise reading for anyone that believes in the power of your own thought will change the outcome of your life. Peace Mark
Plant a BIG Garden Live in the Moment
tara97
Family Elder

Re: Neuroplasticity

Post by tara97 »

interesting. ill have to check it out. I went through the pscychic change about a year and a half ago. from what I can see I was thinking wrong for most of my life. turns out we are supposed to sense the world and then reason about it. I was thinking first and then sensing the world and this caused me to sense only what I expected to sense. This is the common religious experience, aka enlightenment but now everything is so simple. I was so baffled by everything before. I am no genious but those who have not yet experienced this change (the masses) are at a grave disadvantage as far critical thinking is concerned.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Neuroplasticity

Post by NHE »

To revive an old thread...

Here's an interesting TED talk on neuroplasticity.

After watching this, your brain will not be the same
Lara Boyd | TEDxVancouver

Return to “Reading Nook”