AMA calls for a ban on drug ads

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

AMA calls for a ban on drug ads

Post by NHE »

The sleeping giant has awakened. The American Medical Association (AMA) is the largest organization of physicians in the U.S. At its interim meeting in November, the AMA called for a ban on direct-to-consumer (DTC) advertising of prescription drugs.

The doctors are concerned about:
  • “the negative impact of commercially-driven promotions, and the role that marketing costs play in fueling escalating drug prices…Direct-to-consumer advertising also inflates demand for new and more expensive drugs, even when these drugs may not be appropriate.”
http://www.peoplespharmacy.com/2015/12/ ... -drug-ads/
Sailorlal

Re: AMA calls for a ban on drug ads

Post by Sailorlal »

They should be banned. I wish Americans would realize that spending money is not the same thing as free speech.
1eye
Family Elder

Re: AMA calls for a ban on drug ads

Post by 1eye »

Sailorlal wrote:They should be banned. I wish Americans would realize that spending money is not the same thing as free speech.
Or free enterprise.
Or any kind of freedom, especially the freedom to make a profit. We should not be free to collect statistics on known deadly substances, let alone to even sell them. Or sell them or prescriptions for them, at usurious prices. Or manufacture them in industrial quantity
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)