A new concept for MS and other autoimmune diseases

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Leonard
Family Elder

Re: A new concept and treatment options for MS

Post by Leonard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:42 am

We have seen that the oxidative stress cycle originates from a herpes viral infection.

As the following article suggests, it may now well be that herpes viral spreading is facilitated by oxidative stress.
That is bad because it would be a further stimulous for the vicious cycle, a sort of self-perpetuating mechanism that is launched by an MS attack, iNOS production and cellular expression.

The good thing is that, while herpes viruses are favoured by oxidative conditions, studies also suggest that a disruption of these conditions can reduce herpes infection. Some antioxidants may be more efficient than others in reducing infection. In fact, if you look at Fig.3 in the article, the reduction can be quite substantial.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5829443/

Quote: The results from our first MA support our first hypothesis that herpes virus infection caused increased OS across diverse vertebrate species, but this effect was contingent on the tissue and biomarker of OS. Our second MA supports our second hypothesis that an increased intake of antioxidants reduced the virus load, indicating that the viral replication may be favored by a status of OS. The positive effects of antioxidant administration were dependent on the concentration and the kind of antioxidant.
Last edited by Leonard on Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Leonard
Family Elder

Post by Leonard » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:54 am

On the Internet we find a mountain of medical publications, often in the open literature. Most of these publications consider the problem "in their own domain" resulting in an incomplete picture. But if we bring it all together, we can see a huge breakthrough on the horizon built on a series of interdependent innovations.

The battlefield that emerges is one of the power of patient fora on the Internet vs the power of the medical system. The latter sucks innovation and acts as a barrier to change. The question is now: How can the former help us to force change?

ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 am

"The battlefield that emerges is one of the power of patient fora on the Internet vs the power of the medical system. The latter sucks innovation and acts as a barrier to change."

You are pretty much correct.

"The question is now: How can the former help us to force change?"

Force change? Doubtful, there is no simple solution that can correct this but to me there is a solution - to take matters into our own hands. There is a saying "If it is meant to be, it is up to me." I have always lived by this philosophy. And have followed this simple principle since my diagnosis as I quickly realized that modern medicine could not really help me. Like many others have done and done successfully, it is possible to treat yourself successfully and that is what I have been doing. I have done and continue to do research on a daily basis - there is a lot of helpful info out there and always new ideas being presented, all you have to do is look. And there seems to be new ideas popping up regularly. I often make changes to my treatment on a weekly basis. Waiting for the right answers and solutions from the medical system over the short to medium term is really not an option that will help anyone now or in the near future.

vesta
Family Elder

Post by vesta » Sun Feb 17, 2019 1:03 am

ElliotB wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:03 am
"The battlefield that emerges is one of the power of patient fora on the Internet vs the power of the medical system. The latter sucks innovation and acts as a barrier to change."

You are pretty much correct.

"The question is now: How can the former help us to force change?"

Force change? Doubtful, there is no simple solution that can correct this but to me there is a solution - to take matters into our own hands. There is a saying "If it is meant to be, it is up to me." I have always lived by this philosophy. And have followed this simple principle since my diagnosis as I quickly realized that modern medicine could not really help me. Like many others have done and done successfully, it is possible to treat yourself successfully and that is what I have been doing. I have done and continue to do research on a daily basis - there is a lot of helpful info out there and always new ideas being presented, all you have to do is look. And there seems to be new ideas popping up regularly. I often make changes to my treatment on a weekly basis. Waiting for the right answers and solutions from the medical system over the short to medium term is really not an option that will help anyone now or in the near future.
Greetings:

I fully agree with ElliotB. It's up to us to take care of ourselves.

Best, Vesta

Leonard
Family Elder

Re: A new concept for MS and other autoimmune diseases

Post by Leonard » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:36 pm

Elliot, Vesta, thank you. I agree with you that we must take care of ourselves. That is what I try to do as well.

But besides what we do in our own private sphere, public intervention and funding would seem logical because there is not a patentable molecule involved here, the underlying thinking (see essay below) is an orphan hypothesis.

And public intervention is much needed as well as the medical system is completely locked up; the inertia of the status quo is too great, every change initiative seems impeded.

We need to open up the medical system and involve thousands of interested parties discovering the alternatives and connecting the interdependent innovations and new insights.

The essay in the next posting sketches the bigger picture on autoimmunity and our society and stresses the need for government action. Governments on both sides of the ocean should now take their responsibility.
Last edited by Leonard on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

Leonard
Family Elder

Autoimmunity and our society

Post by Leonard » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:41 pm

Autoimmunity and our society

[later amendments and additions in italics]

Our cells have very small deviations, called Single Nucleotide Polymorphisms (SNPs) which have always been considered to be irrelevant. But they are not, they are very important as they are gatekeepers that signal whether a cell is infected by a (double stranded) herpes virus. They are thought to be part of the innate immune system as a defense against double stranded viruses. SNPs are somewhat genetically determined, by inheritance. That is why for instance Rheuma Arthritis or Alzheimer's is seen more in some families than in others. If the cell does not trigger internal cytokine/interferon mechanisms (of the RNA interference complex) to keep the virus down, the cell will get predestined. Herpes SNPs are mainly located in the X-chromosome which explains the gender bias in autoimmunity and indeed in diseases as Alzheimer's.

The systemic immune system gets also loaded with herpes but normally does not recognise the infected cells; there is viral tolerance. Biological evolution of many hundreds of Millions of years lies at the basis of our herpes immunity (core components of the miRNA pathway mechanism are even conserved between the two kingdoms of plants and animals); but the immune system never got rid of herpes completely, and all people have it. The problem comes when the gut microbiome, which co-evolved with the genome for more than 2 Billion years, does no longer control the epigenetics - miRNA regulatory system of the cells and cells come to expression.

If cells are no longer silenced, B cells cross react with endothelial cells and then a biological mechanism starts to kill the pathogen. In some cases this may be preceded by T cells causing physiological trauma. The mechanism is called autoimmunity. And other biochemical processes 'unfold', in particular oxidative stress. This causes diseases as Alzheimer's, Rheuma Arthritis, Asthma, Lupus, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, etc. Multiple Sclerosis is a special case in the sense that, more than SNPs, vascular narrowings compromise the blood brain barrier and allow the viral loading, but the unfolding is the same.

24 Million people in the US have an autoimmune diagnosis, but another 50 million do not feel well and have autoantibodies but do not yet have enough antibodies to make a diagnosis. So, that means about 75 million have autoimmune problems. Even more disturbing, more and more children are being diagnosed with an autoimmune problem as children. For Europe, the statistics won’t be very different. Despite the increase in longevity which may be attributed to new medical techniques, drugs and technology, we are as a society progressively less well.

Why is this happening to us? What has given rise to the single largest epidemic of chronic disease in human history? Have our genes gone bad or have we adopted a lifestyle that could explain the current scourge of autoimmune diseases? Since the weight of genetic changes to our DNA is insignificant in a short period of a few generations, we will need to search the causes at the environmental level. Our modern Western lifestyle over the last 50 years (see footnote) broke with the evolutionary path of many millions of years and led us down a very dangerous path.

The situation has to change. Underlying is a real paradigm change, like Kepler's theory in the 17th century. As the inertia of the status quo is so great, I think only the US government together with the 27/28 European governments in the EU can initiate change. The scourge of autoimmune diseases which will soon affect over 25 percent of our societies and is growing fast merits an urgent effort at scale to clarify and address the underlying causes.

- indoor life and the low cholesterol con; diet: e.g. shifting fat balance, lack of (phyto)nutritients; vaccinations with virus; use of antibiotics (= clusterbombs for our microbiome); we lost famine/periods of fasting (=reset microbiome) and traditions as fish on friday (=shift back fat balance); we wash away/destroy the natural microbiome of ourselves/our food; Caesarean section and infant formula feeding; ...)

- then, there are the environmentally induced responses of the microbiome - epigenetic - RNA interference complex (herpes hairpins?) that result in epigenetic marks. These are part of an indirect more short-cycle evolutionary or adaptation mechanism and may be heritable and transmitted from one generation to the next.
- add to this that herpes proliferation is promoted by oxidative stress conditions and thus creates a vicious cycle. Saturated fats help herpes spreading.
Last edited by Leonard on Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:39 am, edited 39 times in total.

Leonard
Family Elder

Re: A new concept for MS and other autoimmune diseases

Post by Leonard » Tue May 28, 2019 8:53 am

The iNOS Activity During an Immune Response Controls the CNS Pathology in Experimental Autoimmune Encephalomyelitis

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6458273/
from viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30982

My view:
iNOS is the result of a physiological trauma induced by T cells (inflammation).
Highly localised oxidative stress results from iNO reacting with superoxide from EBV B cells that find common epitopes (progression).

- - - - - - -

Epstein-Barr Virus and miRNAs: Partners in Crime in the Pathogenesis of Multiple Sclerosis?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6456696/
from viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30969

My view:
The herpes virus causes MS, EBV is a herpes strain.

The recognition of the virus at cellular level is done by SNPs.
And likely via SNPs the miRNA is involved in B cell transformation.

The SNPs function within the miRNA and within miRNA targets.
As such, SNPs modulate miRNA or are associated with miRNA regulation.

The polymorphisms are the result of hundreds of millions of years of evolution.
Fish have some of the same polymorphisms as human beings, indicating they date back from the common root from a long time ago.
And a significant part of our cells have miRNA.
Cells protected by the blood brain barrier had no need to develop SNPs, so in an evolutionary sense, these cells e.g. like myeline will be less protected.

I found this information very helpful (just google on it):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroRNA

tutorial lessons on youtube

articles on SNPs within or flanking microRNA

and articles on the interaction of the microbiome with microRNA and SNPs

Again the publications fully confirm the above picture on autoimmunity
Last edited by Leonard on Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Leonard
Family Elder

We need a paradigm change

Post by Leonard » Tue May 28, 2019 8:58 am

The medical sector does not know what is or what causes MS. But it's even worse than that. In fact, they don't know what is autoimmunity, what causes autoimmune diseases. But the health paradigm will change.

If we look back at the old (= our current) health paradigm in say 2030, we will look at it in much the same way that people looked at our solar system before Kepler when the movement of each planet was described by 40 or so superimposed circles around the Earth. In Kepler’s paradigm, this was greatly simplified by putting the Sun in the centre and an ellipse to describe each planet’s orbit. Likewise, in stead of all the multiple pathologies and (overlapping) co-morbidities we have today, we will look at autoimmune diseases in a much simplified manner i.e. as a herpes virally induced disease in a variety of permissible cells that come to expression because of a gut insufficiency. The full picture is given in the above posting on autoimmunity and our society: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15188&start=885#p257234

For most of us, MS is caused by vascular narrowings in the neck (CCSVI) which breaches the blood brain barrier and then allows for the viral entry. For other autoimmune diseases, cells may permit viral infection because they lack the right SNPs.

This paradigm change will turn the medical system upside down. Let us just hope that soon, very soon, this new view on chronic autoimmune diseases will gain traction and an urgent effort will be launched to clarify and address the underlying causes.