First time use of steroids

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
santanabmw
Getting to Know You...

First time use of steroids

Post by santanabmw »

Hi All,

I have just been given my first course of steroids

Dexamethasone 2mg x 8 daily for 7 days

then

Deltacortril 5mg x 12 for 4 days
x 8 for 4 days
x 4 for 4 days

Just wondering has anyone else had this high a dose and how soon do you start to feel better. I am on day 5. Any help would be very welcome.
bartman
Family Elder

Re: First time use of steroids

Post by bartman »

if you have an infection, steroids will make you much worse! steroids suppress the immune system and make it harder for your body to produce antibodies. this is what the lyme and coinfections test is testing. In other words if you have these infections which are very difficult and extremely unreliable and inaccurate in general, the steroids will make it much harder than normal to get an accurate result.
centenarian100
Family Elder

Post by centenarian100 »

bartman wrote:if you have an infection, steroids will make you much worse! steroids suppress the immune system and make it harder for your body to produce antibodies. this is what the lyme and coinfections test is testing. In other words if you have these infections which are very difficult and extremely unreliable and inaccurate in general, the steroids will make it much harder than normal to get an accurate result.
What makes you think s/he has an infection?
santanabmw
Getting to Know You...

Post by santanabmw »

I am waiting for bloods for lyme and co infections but had to at least try and persevere with the Steroids to see if it is indeed MS. I feel like absolute crap anyway so what's another couple of weeks? I just don't know..just want to feel better but I also know there is no quick fix. My Neurologist says the chances of Lyme are extremely low but it's something I have to get checked. How long do u have to be off the steroids for before blood tests?
santanabmw
Getting to Know You...

Post by santanabmw »

I am really looking for advice as in has anyone been on the list of steroids above and how did they find them especially the transitioning from 1 to the other? thank you.