Just approved for Ocrevus

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
EdmontonAlberta

Just approved for Ocrevus

Post by EdmontonAlberta » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:19 pm

I am in my early 60's; was diagnosed with PPMS just over 2 years ago. Due to a side health challenge just under 3 years ago, they fused two bones in my neck just below my skull together (spine surgery). When that recuperation was not going well, I was sent for an MRI & Spinal Tap. Voila PPMS...

So after two years of nothing from the medical field, my Neurologist stated the MRI last week showed me as the perfect candidate for Ocrevus since I had never had any DMT's. On April 22 I see some woman to get educated followed shortly afterward by Ocrevus injections.

This should be interesting... ;-)

NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Just approved for Ocrevus

Post by NHE » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:37 pm

Welcome to ThisIsMS. You may wish to read some of the posts in the Ocrevus forum.
viewforum.php?f=58

By the way, do your doctors see a link between your surgery and your subsequent PPMS diagnosis? It would be good to know of the status of your cerebral venous drainage and if any of the hardware they put in your neck is pressing on and thereby restricting blood flow in any veins such as the internal jugulars. This can be tested via Doppler ultrasound.

EdmontonAlberta

Re: Just approved for Ocrevus

Post by EdmontonAlberta » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:16 am

NHE wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:37 pm

do your doctors see a link between your surgery and your subsequent PPMS diagnosis? It would be good to know of the status of your cerebral venous drainage and if any of the hardware they put in your neck is pressing on and thereby restricting blood flow in any veins such as the internal jugulars. This can be tested via Doppler ultrasound.
Long story short; the Surgeon fused my bones then went home to bed. My wife was sitting beside me as I slept under the drugs. My body started thrashing & she started screaming - the nurses came running in & ended up phoning the Surgeon. Meanwhile I was a temporary quadriplegic - so the Surgeon came back & performed a "replacement" surgery. His diagnosis was that it was my fault since I was a smoker...

Nobody considered a link between the surgery & MS. Which is ironic since I come from a large family; eleven uncles & aunts - more than 50 siblings & first cousins. Not one of them has an autoimmune disease; or MS.

Ironically, my first wife died from an autoimmune disease which was diagnosed a year after we married. My 2nd wife was diagnosed with an autoimmune disease after marriage. Both lived a very healthy lifestyle; meanwhile I have 47 years of alcohol & "a pack a day" on my resume... LOL