more of the same

A forum to discuss Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency and its relationship to Multiple Sclerosis.
fiddler
Family Elder

Re: more of the same

Post by fiddler »

Yes, jugular, that is something that shouldn't be forgotten: drugs (which all seem to have dangerous side effects) are "effective" if they slightly seem to slow down disease progression or help some symptoms even just a little... but Liberation isn't effective unless there is a marked and permanent improvement in the symptoms arbitrarily chosen by a neuro. Fatigue, balance and autonomic function improvements have made a big difference in my QOL, but because my drop foot and weak leg continue to get a bit worse, I suppose they would say my procedure was a failure. What malarkey! Newfoundlanders, don't allow the Minister to get away with such foolishness!
...Ted
Dx SPMS in 2004.  Liberated 29/04/2010.
My blog: www.my-darn-ms.blogspot.com
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

That reflex is called the Babinski sign and is a hallmark of brain damage. I learned that in high school biology. Brain damage is for life, sometimes, but I think good circulation being restored can fix some of it. Stem cells, even if they change into neurons, cannot reverse disability when the old ones are gone. That's because things like walking are learned. Thanks to neuroplasicity, we can recruit other neurons and teach them. Not so well, if bad circulation or resulting immune problems are still killing neurons. Fix the bloodstream first.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)
Jugular
Family Elder

Post by Jugular »

The presence of a Babinski's reflex after age 2 is a sign of damage to the nerve paths connecting the spinal cord and the brain (the corticospinal tract). This tract runs down both sides of the spinal cord. A Babinski's reflex can occur on one side or on both sides of the body.
I was positive for Babinski's in my right foot (which foot also drops) for 10 years consistently prior to CCSVI treatment. Even my left foot had become ambivilent immediately prior. I turned negative for the reflex after surgery and have remained so for 1.5 years.

But this counts as "no change" in my condition. There has been no change in my impaired grip strength either which has amost increased by 200%. Likewise with my walking speed which at twice as fast has remained the same. You can say the same about my knee, hip flexor and quad strength in my weak leg which are markedly better but have remained the same. All as determined by these unbiased experts.

I'm so glad I took their advice and didn't not have the surgery and ended up not not having any improvements.

Return to “Chronic Cerebrospinal Venous Insufficiency (CCSVI)”