Some Questions

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Melody
Family Elder

Some Questions

Post by Melody »

In the past few weeks I've noted John has some problem with chocking more while eating. When I mention it of course he gets defensive and proclaims he just swallowed something the wrong way but it is happening a fair amount. I've noted him clearing his throat all the time as well but he says he must have a cold as it's just phlegm. It is unlike him to have that problem other than in ragweed season(allergy). For the past 4 or 5 years I've noted the slurring of speech when John is tired but once again he uses the excuse he's just tired. Well lots of people get tired but don't slur their words. My question is should we be seeing someone at this time or is there exercises we can just do at home???????? John has agreed to put in a call to his MS nurse but unfortunately he is likely to try to convince her it's all in my head and he is fine. So hence it would be easier to handle at home. I believe with John it is likely the vocal cords are a bit to relaxed but I'm not a Dr. Is the scope the only way to tell that??????
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.
bromley
Family Elder

Post by bromley »

Melody,

I'm sorry to hear that your husband is experiencing what appear to be swallowing and speech problems. These can be symptoms of MS and at my last appointment with the neuro he ran through a list of symptoms which included swallowing and speech problems and asked if I had experienced any of them.

Given what you have described I would suggest that your husband sees his neuro. When my MS nurse came round to show me how to inject, she mentioned a doctor with MS and that he slurred his speech at the end of the day i.e. when he was getting tired. Your husband's neuro will be best placed to suggest therapies if he thinks these problems are MS related.

In many ways I feel doubly sorry for your situation as you have done as much as you can to try and tame this beast through diet and supplements. Please wish you husband well.

All the best

Ian
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Oh, Melody, the 'scope is not the only way to tell, but this is something that you can't really handle at home by yourself. My speech was becoming terribly slurred, but it was only really noticed by other people, I was just tired. Swallowing was also becoming affected, but my excuse was that I had swallowed something the wrong way. I always had an excuse for both of these things.

Try to persuade him to see someone about it, because, as Bromley says, you have done so much to help your husband. The last thing either of you want or need is for worry to adversely affect your health.

Take care

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
Arron
Volunteer Moderator

Post by Arron »

I echo what Sarah and Ian have said-- my best wishes for this symptom episode to pass, and pass quickly
Disclaimer: Any information you find on this site should not be considered medical advice. All decisions should be made with the consent of your doctor, otherwise you are at your own risk.
Melody
Family Elder

Post by Melody »

We have been booked in for a swallowing assessment. Have to wait 3 weeks but hopefully that will tell us more. Hey guys no need to feel sorry we will manage fine it is not the end of the world. I did talk to our neurologist yesterday over the phone and he wants the assessment done before jumping to conclusions. I believe it is MS related but John had slurring problems before which have come and gone. I have bumped up his D3 as we were sticking closer to 2400iu so I've upped him to 3400iu for right now. I'm still a tad nervous going to the full limit of 4000iu that Dr. O'Connor suggested for the winter as his level is 153 NMOL/L right now and the highest acceptable limit here is 200 NMOL/L. John was also offered this really great management job which might have contributed to his stress level but as of yesterday I finally talked him into staying in partial retirement. You see John owns his own roofing company so most of his work is computer based at this time and I handle that. He puts in an hour in the morning giving out jobs to our sub-contractors then comes back in. We have even moved the shop to our garage so he only has to step outside. I've spent some major time rearranging things so that it minimizes his stress levels. To take a full time job no matter how attractive it was is nuts IMO. John is 42 and I do realize we have lots of years ahead but we are very lucky in the fact that we don't have to put in to many hours. The funny part was he spent years before he had MS making sure he could retire early and now when he figures he might not be able to work full time he decides that is what he wants to do. The funny part is today I've not noted him clearing his throat once. I'll keep you posted thanks for the responses I just tend to panic first and react second. :lol:
John was diagnosed Jan 2005. On lipitor 20mg .On Copaxone since July 4,2005. Vitamin D3 2000iu-4000iu (depending on sunshine months)June 10 2005(RX::Dr. O'Connor) Omega 3 as well Turmeric since April 2005. Q10 60mg. 1500mg liquid Glucosamine Nov 2005.