Why doesn't the pain 'remit' completely?

A forum to talk about the general challenges of daily life with MS.
RobM105
Family Member

Why doesn't the pain 'remit' completely?

Post by RobM105 »

I have RRMS, and the relapses aren't that common. It's about 1/7-8 months. The problem is that the pain never goes into remission completely. Some of it sticks around, and all they're doing is prescribing me more pain medications to keep it under control. So far they have me on...

600mg of Gabapentin
2 Tylenol 3s (total of 60 mg codeine and 600 mg acetaminophen)
600 mg of ibuprofen.

A cocktail of drugs that I take every 3-6 hours (Depending on when it starts to 'wear off'), swinging more towards 3 nowadays. Think I'm building an immunity to codeine, but I don't know how to ask for something else without looking like an addict.

But I digress... Is there a chance that the pain will go into remission one day, or is the damage permanent? I'm on other drugs to suppress my immune system as well, but I don't think they're relevant in this case...

In any case, the medications have me so strung out that this is probably riddled with mistakes, so please excuse me.
I refuse to fail, to kneel or bow.
No power in the 'verse can stop me now!
Froggie
Family Elder

Re: Why doesn't the pain 'remit' completely?

Post by Froggie »

RobM105 wrote:the pain never goes into remission completely.
If it's not too awkward, what sort of pain are you dealing with? From experience, it depends on whether or not a symptom will go away after a relapse. I was taking flying lessons a number of years ago and could not land the plane. I had my eyes checked out and was told I had bilateral inferior hemianopia, where I was blind in my lower visual fields. I went to the Duke Eye Center (part of Duke University) a good three-four months later for a second opinion and they found nothing remarkable. I had optic nerve damage from the optic neuritis prior to that, but nothing else significant. Unfortunately, my lack of depth perception has not improved since my last big relapse and I just have to deal with it.

If the drugs are not working, there are some other alternatives you could look at. I know acupuncture works well for pain and I think bio-feedback as well. Massage is another option. If nothing else, it may help you relax!
RobM105
Family Member

Post by RobM105 »

burning. Ah... It used to feel like it was just in my left-leg, but after my last attack, it started to burn below my ribs as well.
I refuse to fail, to kneel or bow.
No power in the 'verse can stop me now!
Dahlia
Family Member

Post by Dahlia »

I had terrible burning pain in my back close to when I was diagnosed just over 7yrs ago, it seemed it would go on indefinitely - and then one day it just stopped. I tried meditation and MJ. These worked better than codeine and tramadol which did nothing - my doctors at the time were very much against putting me on anything stronger, I remember feeling completely beside myself and at a complete loss - but the pain went away..........