Receiving Campath before it is approved for ms?

A board to discuss the soon-to-be released drug Campath as a treatment for Multiple Sclerosis
alexisss
Getting to Know You...

Receiving Campath before it is approved for ms?

Post by alexisss »

I may be mistaken but I think I heard of some people being prescribed Rituxan in the past to treat their ms even if it hasn't been officially approved for ms yet. I know that Campath can have some pretty serious potential side effects. My question is; do you think someone could ever be able to receive a prescription for Campath before it is officially approved for ms?

I do not qualify to be in the Campath trial and I have had RRMS for a long time. I will have to look into the previous trials of Campath to see if people who have had RRMS for around 10-16 years participated in past trials of Campath. I would like to see how they did. I do know that those with SPMS didn't do well on Campath and it seems that the earlier you are put on the drug, the better your results are. I worry that by the time Campath is approved, I might already have moved to SPMS.
gibbledygook
Family Elder

Post by gibbledygook »

Private doctors can prescribe pretty much anything even before it's been "approved" by government bureaucracies. I can't think how you could otherwise get a prescription since doctors which are governed by public sector rules simply cannot do anything but the "approved" thing. :(
3 years antibiotics, 06/09 bilateral jug stents at C1, 05/11 ballooning of both jug valves, 07/12 stenting of renal vein, azygos & jug valve ballooning,
alexisss
Getting to Know You...

Post by alexisss »

gibbledygook wrote:Private doctors can prescribe pretty much anything even before it's been "approved" by government bureaucracies. I can't think how you could otherwise get a prescription since doctors which are governed by public sector rules simply cannot do anything but the "approved" thing. :(

Thanks for your answer! It's pretty much what I was thinking