Please help! Comparing the different diets

A board to discuss various diet-centered approaches to treating or controlling Multiple Sclerosis, e.g., the Swank Diet
jgkarob
Family Elder

Post by jgkarob »

Yes, that's the same for all diets though. Low carb through to low fat - but with the added idiosyncracratic nature of MS. What works for me, won't for anyone else.
All we can do (if we are to be sensible) is say 'well, this worked for me' and see if it chimes within.
I have to eat a very low carbohydrate diet, or else I will have type 2 diabetes. It's as simple as that for me.
If I stay low-carb then my blood sugars stay within the acceptible level and so do my triglycerides.
I don't know enough about neurosciences to have a valid opinion, but all I can write is, for 5 years, I was housebound and now I'm not. It's down to environment and several other factors, as well as diet and drugs and exercise.

I'm sceptical about nearly everything. I don't believe that there's a cure for MS or that diet will help everyone. I dislike a certain geologist's writings intensely and I don't think that diet can stop MS. Yet, to my surprise it helped me. It creates a very strong cognitive dissonance, but I'm just going with it. Life isn't that clear cut.
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

yep it's key to review your past diet, and ideally to have current bloodwork done, to understand what a diet can or can not do for each individual.

the research has clearly shown the differences between 'healthy controls' and patients with anything from ms to cancer. so once you know your own status, you can work from there.

i don't buy into any particular ms diet except my own. i don't cut out food groups because cutting out food groups is how i got sick in the first place.

sometimes diet just won't be enough and if a patient is that out of whack nutritionally, then therapeutic supplementation would be needed.

there's no sense working on health restoration, with diet and/or supplementation, without monitoring the key/known/researched indicator nutrients you're working with.

only once we know the status of these indicators can we figure out what nutritional strategies are suited to each of us as individuals.
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
Kate925
Getting to Know You...

Post by Kate925 »

jgkarob,

I'm eating close to a paleolithic diet now. I'd love to have the link to the paleo recipes.

Thanks.
jgkarob
Family Elder

Post by jgkarob »

With pleasure...

http://paleofood.com

I'm finding that the lowcarb newsletter from about.com is extremely useful, with a flax seed bread, which seems tempting.
I make my own flatbreads with ground almonds and they are little like Scottish drop scones.
I do have access to great almonds here, in Spain, far nicer than most, being the Marfona variety, which are plumper and with little bitterness.
I keep hens, so we aren't ever short of eggs, but I only make the pancakes every other week.

I have no hypoglycaemic lows and my blood glucose levels are acceptable, but I know that I'll always have to eat this way. Still, it works for me and I enjoy the diet, so it's not a problem. It's not a diet, until I have to go to someone's house for a meal and try to explain why I don't eat bread or pasta or even potatoes.
The easiest explanation is that I'm diabetic and have coeliac disease. Neither are exactly true, but that's the closest I can get.
cheers,
jg

Kate925 wrote:jgkarob,

I'm eating close to a paleolithic diet now. I'd love to have the link to the paleo recipes.

Thanks.
Kate925
Getting to Know You...

Post by Kate925 »

Thank you!
Whalsdietworks

Re: Please help! Comparing the different diets

Post by Whalsdietworks »

Anyone following Whals or OMS diet? I see lots of blogs comparing them but mostly from people that are not following them properly...they still take chemical meds, still eat dairy etc.....is there anyone out there that has actually followed it properly?
jimmylegs
Volunteer Moderator

Post by jimmylegs »

not me sry :S i don't even know what OMS diet is. i fundamentally disagree with the idea of supposedly one size fits all 'diets' anyway. individuals are too complicated and their personal preferences, as you seem to have noticed, too likely to take people off program. personally i put meeting daily nutrient needs first, and i try to balance pro and anti inflammatory food intakes. that way i can choose the foods used to meet those essential requirements. where this approach overlaps with existing MS diets is variable and coincidental. someone will chime in though, i am sure :)
active members shape site content. if there is a problem, speak up!
use the report button to flag problematic post content to volunteer moderators' attention.
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

link to OMS diet:

https://overcomingms.org/recovery-progr ... ot-to-eat/

What do you mean by ".they still take chemical meds"?

Frankly, I would avoid the recommendations of any diet that is not gluten free. There is ample evidence regarding why foods withgluten should be avoided.

And also, I would also avoid the recommendations of any diet that promotes the consumption of fish and seafood that is not specifically wild caught because there is a huge difference in the nutrition of wild caught seafood as compared to farm raised seafood. And when you consider that grass fed meat have as much or more of the recommended good fats and overall nutrition as wild caught seafood, I would also discount the recommendations of any diet that promotes the consumption of fish and seafood and not grass fed meat.

I have been on a high good fat diet for almost 3 years (and gluten free as well) and am doing quite well.

FWIW, dairy products are now available from grass fed cows - cheeses, milk and yogurt and I consume those as well.