Feeling overwhelmed

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
helenw68

Feeling overwhelmed

Post by helenw68 »

I am new to the idea that I may have MS and my ability to cope varies from day to day. I am waiting for a neurologist appointment at the moment. The earliest I can get is in May (I also may be insane with anxiety by then). I had sudden onset hearing loss about 7months ago. The ENT sent me for a MRI to make use there was no tumour. Fortunately no tumour but the found several lesions in the White matter of my brain and advised a follow up in 6 months. Well, I've just got those results and there are "significantly more lesions". My GP is now thinking that the sudden defends may have been a symptom. When looking at the MRI he couldn't believe it was my brain. He said it looked like an 85-90 year old with circulation problems (I'm 46, mum of 4 and I workout at least 5 days a week).
This has led me to think about other things. I have tingling in my lower shin and feet that gets really itchy in spots. I also get this in my hands sometimes.
I had an aural migraine a couple of years ago and get flashing lights occasionally.
Just in the last couple of months I've noticed a tingling in my tongue.
I am often very tired (work full time single mum and train crossfit). An example of being tired is I came home from work today and had 20 mins before I had to leave. I fell asleep within that time.
I have no idea if these are symptoms or what is going to happen.
What I would really like to know is what type of tests will the neurologist do? What should I expect from the consultation? How do I not panic in the next few months while I wait for my appointment.
Thank you for reading and giving me your time.
Helen
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: Feeling overwhelmed

Post by ElliotB »

Is your appointment with a Neurologist that specializes in MS? Who 'read' your MRI?

What I did prior to my diagnosis when I strongly suspected MS was make major changes to my life with the assumption that I did have MS with regard to diet, exercise, supplements and lifestyle. At this point, I suggest you do the same. Be proactive. Because no matter what you have, a better diet, more exercise, proper nutritional supplements and removing all stresses from your life can only help.

You will find a lot of info on diet on this site. Pick one that you think will work best for you:

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/diet-f9/
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Post by lyndacarol »

helenw68 wrote:I am new to the idea that I may have MS and my ability to cope varies from day to day. I am waiting for a neurologist appointment at the moment. The earliest I can get is in May (I also may be insane with anxiety by then). I had sudden onset hearing loss about 7months ago. The ENT sent me for a MRI to make use there was no tumour. Fortunately no tumour but the found several lesions in the White matter of my brain and advised a follow up in 6 months. Well, I've just got those results and there are "significantly more lesions". My GP is now thinking that the sudden defends may have been a symptom. When looking at the MRI he couldn't believe it was my brain. He said it looked like an 85-90 year old with circulation problems (I'm 46, mum of 4 and I workout at least 5 days a week).
This has led me to think about other things. I have tingling in my lower shin and feet that gets really itchy in spots. I also get this in my hands sometimes.
I had an aural migraine a couple of years ago and get flashing lights occasionally.
Just in the last couple of months I've noticed a tingling in my tongue.
I am often very tired (work full time single mum and train crossfit). An example of being tired is I came home from work today and had 20 mins before I had to leave. I fell asleep within that time.
I have no idea if these are symptoms or what is going to happen.
What I would really like to know is what type of tests will the neurologist do? What should I expect from the consultation? How do I not panic in the next few months while I wait for my appointment.
Thank you for reading and giving me your time.
Helen
Welcome to ThisIsMS, Helen.

The tingling/itchy spots on your legs, feet, and hands is known as "peripheral neuropathy." The investigation of PN suggested by the University of Chicago offers the following information, "Evaluation and Tests,":

http://peripheralneuropathycenter.uchic ... valuation/

And specifically the blood tests:

http://peripheralneuropathycenter.uchic ... #bloodtest\
helenw68

Post by helenw68 »

Thank you for your response. My GP and the Radiologist have read the MRI. I have started some changes. I have followed the Paleo diet for several years but became quite complacent in the last year. Back following that closely. I exercise regularly and have done so for years. My GP suggested I keep doing what I'm doing. The only thing I struggle with is reducing stress. I'm a high school teacher and still have 3 (age 7,9,17) of my 4 kids at home (22 yo lives independently). I take magnesium, Vit B and C regularly. Will look at diet/supplement/exercise areas here.
Thanks again
ElliotB
Family Elder

Post by ElliotB »

As far as supplements, there are many, many, many to choose from. I take a lot, probably in excess of 30 daily.

I would recommend you find a good multi, and also supplement with Omega 3, D3 (ask your doctor what dose to take, I take much higher than the recommended amount), CoQ10 and B-12 at a minimum. But there are many others you should consider. Do your homework.

Return to “Introductions”