MS Pain

If it's on your mind and it has to do with multiple sclerosis in any way, post it here.
Sailorlal

MS Pain

Post by Sailorlal »

So, even though I've had MS for almost 10 years, until recently, I didn't have much for symptoms excepting occasional optic neuritis and fatigue. Lately, though, I'm getting pain. Just an aching in my limbs, most days. I've tried to improve my sleep hygiene ( I used to be accustomed to only getting like 6-7 hours of sleep, now I'm really shooting for 8), and I think it helps a bit. Ibuprofen helps just a little. What has everyone tried, and what are the downsides? I'm not really that excited about getting on yet another med, but I'm starting to feel it's necessary. However, I've researched Gapabentin, and I'm worried about being even more fatigued than I already am. I'm also worried it will stop working. Any thoughts?
ElliotB
Family Elder

Re: MS Pain

Post by ElliotB »

I have been suffering with nerve pain for the past two years, unbearable at times. What I believe has helped me the most and is definitely helping me sleep better is the Fisher Wallace Simulator. I posted this recently:

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/general-d ... 27066.html

They offer a 30 day trial so it may be worth a try.

I am still very, very happy with the results and did decide to keep the device after the trial period. I look forward to using it because I feel great after I do. While I am still not episode/pain free, there has been a significant improvement. I am also taking CBD oil (from CW Botanicals out of Colorado) which I believe may be helping me as well.

Hope you are feeling better soon!
Sailorlal

Post by Sailorlal »

This is really interesting...I like that it's a non-drug option. I'm going to bring it up with my neurologist!
hargarah
Family Member

Post by hargarah »

Nerve pain is one of the toughest things to treat. In most cases, a lot of the common meds (Ibuprofen, Opiates) do not work. Typically, Nerve Pain is best treated with Anti-Tremors/Spasm medications. The BEST one is Elavil. Also, I found Gabapentin did nothing, but Lyrica worked best.

Talk to your neuro, as everyone has a different body/reaction.
Methal

Post by Methal »

Aspirin helps me. I took it once for other reason and nerve pain went away. I couldn't imagine it could be that simple. If I take it once helps a little. If I take it for 5 days+ goes away. It helps me but hargarah is right "everyone has a different body/reaction."
Sailorlal

Post by Sailorlal »

Interesting, are you taking the aspirin every four hours?
1eye
Family Elder

Post by 1eye »

Because of the recurring nature of pain, and the temporary relief of most drugs, this is an important issue. I am currently on a heavy dose of naproxen with a buffer and food because otherwise it will burn a hole in my stomach, and acetaminophen with codeine, which is addictive. I alternate. This is because of my broken collar bone. I worry, though, that I am messing up my liver and kidneys. The side-effects of pain relief sometimes make them not worth the relief.
This unit of entertainment not brought to you by FREMULON.
Not a doctor.
"I'm still here, how 'bout that? I may have lost my lunchbox, but I'm still here." John Cowan Hartford (December 30, 1937 – June 4, 2001)